• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what level do you start your campaigns?

Do you start your campaigns at level one?

• Yes, make the players work for it!

Votes: 123 60.6%
  • No, I start at level 2

Votes: 22 10.8%
  • No, I start at level 3

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • I despise lower level campaigns and start at level 4 or above

Votes: 21 10.3%

Montague68

First Post
I finally found some players and started a new campaign last week, and the players seemed surprised that we started at level one.

Do you start at level one? And if not why not?

Seeker95

First Post
I have always started campaigns at level one. This level lays the foundation for PC attitudes, personalities, and quirks. It also makes the early level Feat, Skill and ability choices matter.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
So... why no "it depends" option? For some campaigns, I start at level 1. For others, like ones where races with an LA are commonplace (Planescape, my all-reptilian homebrew), level 5 is where I start. I certainly don't hate low level campaigning, but some games I start at mid levels anyway.

Demiurge out.

lukelightning

First Post
In the game I'm playing in we started at 2, which I liked since I was multiclassed and conceptually that's easier for me than saying "I spent all level 1 as a rogue, now I'm a sorcerer!" all of a sudden.

The game I DM we started at 3; I wanted to start at level 1 but the players objected.

I like starting at one, as long as the DM realizes that first level characters are very fragile. Particularly first level wizards with their wimpy ACs, 4 hit points, and two first level spells to cast).

Faraer

Explorer
The norm for D&D campaigns, which works really well, is about adventurers starting as novices and advancing through name level. If this is the idea, skipping the earliest levels is depriving players of some of the most exciting and formative experiences for their characters.

There are other models too, particularly with one-offs and mini-campaigns. For myself, I tend not to run those with D&D.

Treebore

First Post
It depends on what I want to do, and whether or not I am willing to wait for them to get to the right level to do it. If it is to play a specific large module, say Tomb of Abysthor, Rappan Athuk, or Banewarrens, I'll start them at the recommended module level. If it a "campaign" idea I start them at level 1 and run the campaign for as long as everyone is interested.

Stormborn

Explorer
Personally, I would be glad to start a campaign at any level up to say 6 or 8, but all my players want to start at level 1 for any long running campaign thats planned. It has nothing to do with "making them work for it."

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I tend to start players at level 2 for a new campaign. Allows a better survivability for characters than level 1 but is still low enough that I don't lose anything.

Remove ads