• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what level do you start your campaigns?

Do you start your campaigns at level one?

• Yes, make the players work for it!

Votes: 123 60.6%
  • No, I start at level 2

Votes: 22 10.8%
  • No, I start at level 3

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • I despise lower level campaigns and start at level 4 or above

Votes: 21 10.3%

ThirdWizard

First Post
I haven't started at 1st level since around 1998. Ravenloft 2E.

2nd level, IMO, is the best level to start at. The PCs are still very weak, they can have somewhat of a backstory without suspending too much belief, and you can start multiclassed. 3rd level works as well, but I probably prefer 2nd.

Of course, certain campaigns are going to break from this. I have no qualms about starting a campaign higher.

Psion

Adventurer
I usually start at 4th level. Higher, possibly, if I know the campaign will be short.

For me, the most interesting and engaging scenarios to run are in the 6-12 level range, and you waste too much less fun time getting there if you start at first.

Orc bashing ain't my bag.

Mercule

Adventurer
Crothian said:
We start at level one, that is the beginning and I find it can best to start there.

Ditto. Other than one shots, first level is the norm.

I will admit to starting my current game at level 2, though. That's because one of the players wanted an LA+1 character. I actually encouraged the other players to pick a small perk that was worth an LA+1 (bloodline and +8 point buy were two). I only let one PC start with 2 levels in the same class. That was considered her unique schtick.

Last time I ran a regular game, I started at 3rd. Last online game I ran was 3rd too. I don't mind starting at 1st, but it seems that character backstories tend to assume at least some experiences and competencies under their belt. But it's still pretty low level; enough so that you can make a decent case that a green adventurer with just a bit of training would be at that level. Some character concepts that require multiclassing to realise do much better if you can start at 2nd or 3rd too, if you want to actually feel like you're playing the concept you envisioned right off the bat.

At the same time, I don't like to play much over the very low teens in level either, making my sweet spot definately somwhere around 4th or 5th up to maybe 12th.

Talic

First Post
I prefer about 3rd level. Mostly because the characters feel less fragile. They don't have a ton of HP, but I don't feel like they're 1 slice, stab, or bludgeon away from death either...baring a crit. I have no problem with player death unless its sensless. And often going down from 1 slice from a minion is fairly sensless. I'd rather players have a chance to really get into the plot and thwart the evil dude or die trying.

Additionally, every player likes seeing their characters be more powerful and using the abilities. 3rd level gives everyone a new feat, plus a few more toys to play with.

DethStryke

Explorer
I always - *ALWAYS* - start them as level-0 henchmen, and only if they carry their bags correctly, brush down the horses at EVERY inn, and get the proper adventurer NPCs tea made just the way they like it, can they level up to Level 1.

:lol:

You forgot the option of "depends on the campaign". Some games work better at higher level, and have started groups from between 1 to 5. I voted that I think that they should earn it not because I don't agree that there is a power/survivability problem in level 1 characters, but because there is something satisfying about surviving that gauntlet of terror, as it were, of getting through life with an average of 4-10 HP. :) That way you technically know EVERYTHING that has happened to this character in its entire adventuring career, and that adds flavor for me.

I like flavor... it's like spice... of life... and it must flow... unlike this sentence... er... fragment..

... slashy.
/

Jorren

Explorer
The only time I would ever consider starting at level 1 would be if I was running a published module to start the campaign. Even then I would see if there was a way to modify the campaign to start at around level 4. I actually prefer that character backgrounds include some history of extensive training or prior adventuring.

I despise 1st level as a player too. Just too much praying for good rolls and not enough options.

The 'fresh faced adventurer' thing just doesn't hold much appeal for me anymore. Been there and done that enough times.

Remove ads