• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ATTACK! MCDM's new rpg and removing the to-hit roll

Yep. The fun thing is is that when you explicate to-hit mechanics, you not only streamline combat but cqn actually start looking at more realistic takes on it, withour having to sacrifice much of the gains. Even with ranged attacks, to-hit mechanics aren't necessary, and in melee you get a much closer to real life representation of how combat plaus out.

Even with the completely inept, completely whiffing a melee attack and hitting air isn't just going to happen all that often.

Whatll happen instead is that your opponent will do something in reaction to you that'll make you miss or otherwise make your attack ineffective to some degree. Hence my preference for roll offs of damage vs defense and adjudicating based on the difference, and my games use of a 2d20 roll not to determine hits, but to determine whether or not one is able to React to a given opponents Act. (And its use for rolled Movement)

And working backwards, you can use the same roll-off system for depicting Ranged combat; at most you'd probably give a penalty to some types of Defense when attempting to do so against a ranged attack, but unless we're talking no-fantasy (as even in low fantasy dodging arrows isn't out of the question), I wouldn't even go that far.

Instead youd just change up your adjudications. What might be a "weak hit" in a melee might be described instead as just an inaccurate shot; you nicked their shoulder rather than their neck.

It really just works.

darjr

I crit!
I do think they are wrong in one point. Maybe two.

There is a To-Hit roll, it’s just now it’s also the damage roll. The AC being the damage threshold of the armor.

In a single swipe while simplifying mechanics they’ve made armor do BOTH make you harder to hit and soak damage.

That’s incredibly cool.

I honestly didn’t think I was going to like this video but now? Well I think y’all can tell.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Whatll happen instead is that your opponent will do something in reaction to you that'll make you miss or otherwise make your attack ineffective to some degree. Hence my preference for roll offs of damage vs defense and adjudicating based on the difference, and my games use of a 2d20 roll not to determine hits, but to determine whether or not one is able to React to a given opponents Act.
Madness. Automatic hits unless the opponent actually tries to defend?
Gerard Butler This Is Sparta GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Instead youd just change up your adjudications. What might be a "weak hit" in a melee might be described instead as just an inaccurate shot; you nicked their shoulder rather than their neck.
Yup. Combat gets a lot more interesting when players start interpreting the damage rolls.

There is a To-Hit roll, it’s just now it’s also the damage roll. The AC being the damage threshold of the armor.

In a single swipe while simplifying mechanics they’ve made armor do BOTH make you harder to hit and soak damage.

That’s incredibly cool.
Incredibly #notWOTC, anyway. I know a certain system like this, and that level of damage reduction makes causing damage a lot more difficult. I'll be interested to see if they keep max HP down to reasonable levels, or facilitate the killin' by providing other options to increase damage or circumvent armor.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
so all weapons do 2d6+bonus damage vs AC where AC=DR?
If Damage-DR = 0 or less then enemy counters?

small weapons get fast property to score 1 damage on attackers Before the attack (do they also get the counter action After the attack?)

nice idea

Automatic hits unless the opponent actually tries to defend?

Indeed. Makes it rather important to consider if you should use that powerful ability that eats your react roll.

But, it also means if you rolled bad youve got options, including sacrificing your Act either by doubling down on React or by taking a low Act roll, meaning your attacks are easily defended against.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nice! My system has the player always roll, but otherwise is kinda similar. You roll your attack, degree of success determine how many of the dice you rolled can be counted as damage, and the enemy has armor or defenses that can reduce damage by reducing your dice pool. When attacked, the PC rolls a defense check against a number of damage dice based on how hard the enemy is, reducing the number of enemy dice that get rolled to damage them.

mamba

Legend

That seems to be entirely a matter of interpretation. You could just as well say, you always get hit, but sometimes your armor absorbs all of it.

Either way it is an interesting idea. Let's see what else Matt comes up with ;)

darjr

I crit!
That seems to be entirely a matter of interpretation. You could just as well say, you always get hit, but sometimes your armor absorbs all of it.

Either way it is an interesting idea. Let's see what else Matt comes up with ;)
I do think things are best if it can be interpreted several different ways, yea.

Remove ads