• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ATTACK! MCDM's new rpg and removing the to-hit roll

Andvari

Hero
The HeroQuest board game from ‘89 also determines damage by subtracting the defender’s defense from the attacker’s attack. I suspect it’s a rule that has been implemented in a substantial number of ways for decades.

Descent does something very similar. Both use custom dice, although Descent is more complex due to special die faces.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Ugh. No, if you're damage doesn't get past their armor threshold there isn't any damage done.

Wasn't someone just defending you that you don't inject this inanity into every thread?

I'd wish you'd stop.
Some posters have their pet complaints that they have to throw into every thread they can.

darjr

I crit!
Yes exactly. This is actually designing TTRPGs. Actually having ideas. Actually having some kind of vision and intention.
I think this is unfair. WotC and MCDM have entirely different goals. One is trying to update a game and satisfy a much larger existing audience for that very game, while the other is trying to make their own very brand new thing.

WotC designers have a ton of constraints that they need to satisfy and MCDM designers mostly don't.

Also MCDM's designing process is VERY transparent, in large part because that's also a product itself, that transparency. WotC isn't selling access to a view to any of the internal design process.

I think this is unfair. WotC and MCDM have entirely different goals. One is trying to update a game and satisfy a much larger existing audience for that very game, while the other is trying to make their own very brand new thing.

WotC designers have a ton of constraints that they need to satisfy and MCDM designers mostly don't.
I'm not just talking about WotC, I'm also talking about Kobold Press and others.

The constraints aren't the issue - the lack of even attempting good design within constraints is part of the issue, but the biggest issue is a total lack of vision - and it's not unique to WotC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads