• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack of Opportunity-themed Feats

Yesminde

First Post
I had a lightbulb moment today and came up with some odd feats all around the theme of not taking an attack of opportunity when you can. The language is a little rough, but I think you can get the gist.

Forbearing Defense
Requirements: Combat Reflexes
When you have the option of making an attack of opportunity, if your character does not attack he gains +2 dodge bonus to AC until his next action.

Improved Forbearing Defense
Requirements: Combat Reflexes, Forbearing Defense, Base Attack +5
As Forbearing Defense, but the total bonus to AC is now +4

True Opportunity
When you have the option of making an attack of opportunity, if your character does not attack he gains a +2 insight bonus to attacks until after his next turn.

Lethal True Opportunity
Requirements: Combat Reflexes, True Opportunity, Base Attack +5
Attacks made during a round when you gain the insight bonus from True Opportunity do an additional +1d6 damage.

Tactical Opportunity
Your character can forgo taking an attack of opportunity to immediately make a 5' step in any direction.

Stored Opportunity
Requirements: Combat Reflexes, Tactical Opportunity
Your character can forgo taking an attack of opportunity against an enemy and later deny that same enemy an attack of opportunity later in the same combat.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. So what do you think? Is this an interesting idea? Has someone already done this?

Last edited:

Felnar

First Post
should these count against your total AoOs a round?

the defense ones are a little weird
but i like the idea of attack or damage bonuses on AoOs (i'm not sure i'd even require burning an AoO for the bonus)

Yesminde

First Post
The idea is that you use the opportunity your enemy gives you to strengthen your position rather than attack. And, yes, they'd count against your opportunities for the round. The idea came to me when I was thinking about Steven Brust's description of the Lyorn fighting style in The Phoenix Guards: the Lyorn would spurn lesser openings, waiting for one that would permit them to end the battle in one hit. While that would be a bit out of the question in D&D, I thought the idea of using the opportunity to do something else was kind of cool.

Not taking opportunities in combat leads your enemy to become lazy about defending himself, because he thinks you don't know what you're doing. I typo'ed in the third feat, please excuse me.

eamon

Explorer
Interesting idea! I think they're a little too weak though, and could use some increase in power. Part of the problem is that you don't get AoO's that often anyhow. Perhaps you could make the feats a little more flexible to make them more attractive?

For example, require both Combat Expertise and Combat Reflexes as prerequisite (some of these have a definite Expertise flavor), and grant multiple benefits instead of just one.

Something like
Reserved Fighting
Requirements: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +10 or Fighter level 5
You're an expert in the lethal game of Melee combat. You can use several new combat moves:
- Tactical Opportunity: Instead of an making an attack when an opponent provokes an attack of opportunity, you may move 5 ft. without provoking an attack from him.
- Forbearing Defense: You may choose to sacrifice an attack to gain a +2 Dodge bonus against one opponent for one round.
- Lunging Opportunist: You may sacrifice an attack. In return, you may attack both creatures next to you and those you would as if you had reach (such as granted by the spiked chain) until the beginning of your next turn.
Using any of these abilities counts against your number of attacks of opportunity per round.

And then you could design a number of follow-up or similar feats. By giving the character a number of options, not all of which depend on the character actually getting an attack of opportunity, the feat is a little less situational, but hopefully no less flavorful.

In general however, I like the idea! I would make the descriptions a little more specific however, and also limit the "Stored opportunity" ability to no more than 1 round.

Yesminde

First Post
eamon said:
Interesting idea! I think they're a little too weak though, and could use some increase in power. Part of the problem is that you don't get AoO's that often anyhow.

No, you don't, as most mobs don't work to create elegant tactical situations. I was thinking this theme would work best for a campaign where you fight a lot of human enemies, like a swashbuckling game. It could also be nasty if you stack it with Rogue abilities like Opportunist . . . the fighter hits you and now the rogue is flanking you, when you went to such great lengths to prevent that from happening. Oh dear.

I like the idea of taking 1 feat to get all the base benefits, then taking additional feats to get the improved benefits.

Aussiegamer

First Post
With some changes this is an interesting use of AoO.

As AoO is a free attack against an opponent as they have done something to allow the attack, so not should allow some advantage.

Yesminde

First Post
Aussiegamer said:
With some changes this is an interesting use of AoO.

As AoO is a free attack against an opponent as they have done something to allow the attack, so not should allow some advantage.

Um, where does that 'not' belong?

Yesminde

First Post
How about this:

Forbearing Defense
Pre-reqs: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise
When using Combat expertise to exchange attack bonus for AC bonus, you may give up the ability to make attacks of opportunity to gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC for the round.

Improved Forbearing Defense
Pre-reqs: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Forbearing Defense, BAB +5
As Forbearing Defense, but the total dodge AC bonus increases to +2.

True Opportunist
Pre-Reqs: Combat Reflexes, Opportunist ability
You can refrain from taking an attack of opportunity granted by the Opportunist rogue ability to gain a +1 insight bonus on all attacks made on your next action.

Lethal Opportunist
Pre-Reqs: Combat Reflexes, Opportunist, True Opportunist
As True Opportunist, but you also gain +1d6 sneak attack for the duration of your next action.

Tactical Opportunity
Pre-Reqs: Combat Reflexes
Once per round instead of making an attack of opportunity granted by an opponent's actions, your character can choose to take an immediate 5' step in any direction.

Reflexive Opportunity
Pre-Reqs: Combat Reflexes
Instead of taking an attack of opportunity that would normally be granted by an opponent's actions, your character can take an action that would normally incur an attack of opportunity on his next turn without provoking. Selecting this option counts against the number of attacks of opportunity your character can make in a round.

Remove ads