• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack the orphanage!

AlwaysToast

First Post
If the group is even vaguely good, I would start off with hostages. Any child not big enough to be used to attack the invaders, should be used as a hostage.

Think of a kid on the roof telling the group:
“Take off all your armor and weapons before entering. Or we start throwing babies off the roof.”

That might help even the odds a bit in the favor of the evil kiddies. Or at least freak them out... when the babies start hitting the pavement.

Also have some of the “evil” children take other children “hostage.” When the “evil” children have been dealt with, have the Hostage children sneak attack the characters.

To add a time element to the game, make sure the entire building catches on fire at some point.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
This is purely evil, but...

Have a magical trap exchange the minds of the heroes with the minds of some of the eight-year olds. Now you have short, ineffectual heroes with horrible NPC stats (generate using stats for children Ordinaries in d20 Modern) and no fun character powers... and eight-year olds driving around in their uber-powered bodies. The kids realize what FUN they can have as adults, and leave...

Or worse...

Have the switch happen but make sure the Big Bad is NOT aware of the fact. Then have him send his nasties after the 8-year-olds-in-the-hero-bodies... mwahaha!

Percivellian

First Post
lukelightning said:
If the PCs burn down an orphanage, they can always earn enough piety points by burying their fallen camrades to make up for it. ;)

Classic :D Just watched that the other day, actually.

This thread reminds me of an event one of my players included in his character's history during our first evil campaign:

His character (an evil cleric) had this ongoing rivalry with a local, good-aligned priest of the community. As a parting 'gift' he poisoned all the children at the orphanage where the priest worked, then raised them all up as zombies after the funerals and had them attack the priest :]

An argument for cremation, I say.

Teneb

Explorer
Solarious said:
Then tell us what happens after you run this, and which ideas you use. The people desire to know what happens to their free ideas! :p

Most definitely. I think this is going to be fun.

rose4100

First Post
Teneb said:
I need ideas on how to make the encounter at the orphanage:
1) interesting
2) challenging
3) memorable

I think having a wave of blood thirsty children rushing towards you would be interesting and memorable by itself. O_O

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Piratecat said:
Nah, I'm the babyshield guy. I think the orphanage was someone else.

You know that you thought about it though....

My version of this is being planned for a few sessions from now; Is that the Headmistress was secretly a servant of an demon, and that she was trapped in the form of a Poltergeist, and her "children" were trapped as a version of Murderborn (Small Undead, from Penumbra Fantasy Beastiary) when she failed to summon the demon.
The Demon himself is what I am missing (did he get summoned and then she lost control) or is their something else present in the manor that served as an orphanage. Of course now the House is a Boarding School for children from the city, and the children are disappearing 1 by 1 (the reason the PC's get involved). Also their are undead sightings throughout the surrounding region.

For your Idea,
I would second the far planes magic, as well as throwing in some psionically "possessed" children of the damned like thematics. Glowing eyes, and synchronized movements are horror-classics. Add in the Unruliness of children that have lost their civility (I.E. Lord of the Flies) and make them quicker than children should be. Throw in a few things like lycanthropy on one or two of the children, and a creeping walking wurm or some such and I would be frazzled

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
Piratecat said:
Nah, I'm the babyshield guy.
Animated babyshields are broken and should be banned.

RE OP, include some shape-changing nasties among the kiddies. Every kid likes to see a bully get his due, especially if the bully is a doppleganger.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Teneb said:
Anyway, Mr. Tsochar has decided to off the PCs once and for all, and will lure them to the local orphanage where he's taken over the headmistress' body. He's also dominated all the little 'uns. Unfortunately, psychotic 8-year olds aren't too scary on their own.
Aparently you've never been in a room full of 8 year olds before :]

Thurbane

First Post
Teneb said:
I need some help fleshing out an encounter. Very evil people frequent here. It's a natural place to ask.
Hi Teneb, any word on how this played out yet? We'd all be very interested to hear how this encounter went for your group. :)

Remove ads