• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attacking a grappler

Spove

First Post
IIRC, when attacking a grappled combatant there is a 50% chance of hitting the other grappler. This was challanged the other day in game and I can't seem to find, or recall, where I read this.

Somebody please set me straight on where it is or if I am even correct.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IIRC, when attacking a grappled combatant there is a 50% chance of hitting the other grappler. This was challanged the other day in game and I can't seem to find, or recall, where I read this.

With a ranged attack, there's an equal chance of hitting any opponent in the grapple.

If three people are grappling, it's a 1 in 3 chance of hitting each.

If 5 pixies are grappling a gnome, I believe there's still a 1 in 6 chance of striking each, despite the size difference.

Melee attacks suffer no problem.

-Hyp.

Guy Fullerton

First Post
Re: Re: Attacking a grappler

Hypersmurf said:
With a ranged attack, there's an equal chance of hitting any opponent in the grapple.
To pick nits: It's not necessarily an equal chance. The rule says you randomly determine the target, but it neither offers guidance nor makes requirements on how to determine the odds.

Relentless

First Post
You are mistaken.

If you randomly determine something, each element has an equal chance of being selected.

To change the likelihood is to eliminate the randomness.

Guy Fullerton

First Post
Relentless said:
If you randomly determine something, each element has an equal chance of being selected.
I'm not sure I agree. You randomly determine your character's stats, your new form when you are reincarnated, whether your Augury is successful, the types of spells found on a scroll, and whether Teleport takes you to the place you wish. None of these things have equal likelyhoods for each of their possible outputs.

If D&D had a game definition of "random," your assertion might hold water.

Spove

First Post
Re: Re: Attacking a grappler

Hypersmurf said:

If three people are grappling, it's a 1 in 3 chance of hitting each.

If 5 pixies are grappling a gnome, I believe there's still a 1 in 6 chance of striking each, despite the size difference.

Melee attacks suffer no problem.

-Hyp.

Where is this written up?

Nareau

Explorer
To answer the original question, I believe you might be thinking of the rules for Bull Rush:
Initiating a Bull Rush: First, the character moves into the defender's space. Moving in this way provokes an attack of opportunity from each foe that threatens the character, probably including the defender. Any attack of opportunity made by anyone other than the defender against the character during a bull rush has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting the defender instead, and any attack of opportunity by anyone other than the character against the defender likewise has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting the character.

Spider

Spove

First Post
Spider said:
To answer the original question, I believe you might be thinking of the rules for Bull Rush:

Spider

That could be it. Though that supports my thoughts involving the grapple scenario. In both cases 2+ combatants are in the same square. So why wouldn't it be the same rule. I need to find where the grapple specific rule is written up. I have searched the PHB and the FAQ and still can't find it. I am pretty sure I have read it recently too which makes it even worse. :confused:

BlackBart

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Attacking a grappler

Spove said:

Where is this written up?
I won't give you a page number, because IDHTBIFOM, but go to the Combat section, page with Cover. In the top right column on the left page there is a table listing situational modifiers to melee and ranged attacks. One of the latter ones is Defender in a grapple. Ranged attack has a double dagger, the footnote of which provides the rule that has been cited.

Alternatively you can go to the SRD and pull up the Combat Modifiers section. This table is reproduced there, and the same Defender in a grapple has a ****, which translates to:
****Roll randomly to see which grappling combatant a combatant strikes. That defender loses any Dexterity bonus to AC.

Nicely hidden.

Remove ads