• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attacks per Round

Blackwarder

Adventurer
If WotC will drop the multiplie W roles for some attacks than having the warrior classes get more attacks as they level is a good idea, I think the 2e did it best in that regard, you also need to remember that it was a way to balance the warrior classes with the casters.

Warder

LeStryfe79

First Post
I've always felt 1 to 4 attacks was fairly reasonable. I highly doubt WotC will go with the single attack mechanic since that would make it virtually impossible for the game to feel anything like older editions. I do believe there will be optional single attack abilities which can be used instead of a full attack action to give some characters a 4ed vibe. I'm also pretty sure that the designers are aware that BAB got severely out of hand for most folks playing high level 3.X adventures. So, ultimately, I think we'll see multiple attacks with a cautious eye toward being conservative in order to avoid anything too crazy.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Regarding the notion that fighters are somehow getting (or wasting) more gameplay time by having multiple attacks I think we have to remember that while a fighter type might be attacking multiple times, relative to the one action performed by other classes, that often other classes are engaging the rules in much more complex ways that take more effort and time to resolve.

Also disparities in combat time matter a lot more when 3 or 4 encounters are going to take up 3/4 of a game session, I'm hoping and praying this will no longer be the case in the next edition. If you're not spending as much time on combat then differences simply don't matter as much.

Finally fighters fight, combat is sort of their thing, if it can't be area where they get a little more spotlight time, then were is it going to be? We already know Vancian casting is back in the next edition, it's also highly likely we're back to more powerful and complex spells as well, since that has long been the tradition of D&D. Personally I think this is a great thing, but at the same time we have to remember fighter types need a little something extra to make them special to. I'm not advocating a return to 8 attacks in a round or anything like that, something more restrained is necessary, but multiple attacks is one of the easiest ways to make fighter types better and more unique. And while you could give fighting types greatly increased damage, relative to other classes, on a single attack and think that would make them feel very swingy. Also that sort of all or nothing feel is more the province of wizards anyway.

Remove ads