• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ATTN: Morrus Re: New Email address

Acmite

First Post
One of the reasons you may be getting so much spam to your account is because some unsavoury folks use bots that pull email addresses from web pages to use for advertising.

If you put a (non-standard) filler word in your address that is posted on the main page (like: IGNORE, FILTER or REMOVE) with instructions on what to remove, that might help cut down on the spam a lot.

ex: morrus@KILLcyberstreet.com Remove KILL from address.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I know. I considered it. But it took a good couple of years for the spam to increase to the level where it pretty much crippled my email account, so I can live with it. I'll probably change it once a year or so.

Adding those extra characters can confuse those who aren't as internet savvy as some of us, especially since I like to use "mailto:" links a lot.

Acmite

First Post
Wow, a couple years??

I don't give my main email address out to webpages or anything that's not work related and I started getting spam fairly quickly. It hasn't really escalated, but it's still quite a bit.

If it's taken a few years, then that seems a pretty good fix! :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'll tell you, Outlook's junk mail filter is my friend. Every time I get a new piece of Spam, I flag it as junk mail list. That way whenever I get another piece of mail from the same address, it goes right into the trash can without my ever having to look at it. Delightful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads