• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Stone Bones

Erekose13

Explorer
"Good question, Indacalis. I just figured we would find out when we got there. Here let me ask." Phaern offers.

Then in undercommon asks,
"Oh and as a friend of mine has just reminded me. In all our research preparing for this trek, we have been unable to find a direct reference to the Bones of the Earth. What exactly are they? Are they large stone pillars in a vast cavern?"

Rybaer

First Post
Indacalis said:
"I'm sorry I cain't remember your name, but I cain't."

"On account of I'm stupid." he adds, matter-of-factly.*

Leesea gives Dak a grandmotherly smile. "It's Leesea, dearie," she says. "And I'm quite certain you're not stupid. Not all of us have the trained memories of an akashic. Sometimes forgetfulness can be a blessing."

She lets Phaern translate Indacalis's question.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Indacalis has only a faint hint of something wrong with the Green. He gets the feeling that it's very far away. And to feel something wrong from this far away, the wrongness must be very powerful indeed.*

*Kelthet, the Sight shows you that the grayfolk are not particularly skilled or strong, barely more than commoners.*

*As Phaern relays Indacalis' question, the grayfolk speak rapidly.*

<Undercommon> "We do not know of the shape of the Bones. We know where they are, but we have not seen them. The Shadow Serpant guards the way. We know of the power of the Bones, but healing them is beyond our strength both of mind and of arms," they say, almost chanting the words. "Come, we can tell you more as we go, we must go."

*With that the grayfolk start leading you deeper and deeper into the earth. The caverns fly by as you're guided by the grayfolk, though a couple times they have to find alternate routes around small passages and holes in the ground. The grayfolk can climb on the walls almost as good as spiders, and have no need for ropes or pitons to get down otherwise inaccessable passages. You find inginuity you didn't know you had as you rig harnesses for each other to lower yourselves down into the bowels of the earth.*

*You see fantastic caverns, walls covered in pure sheets of white rock, columns of rock the size of houses, and forests of stalactites and stalagmites. Large lizards, blind fish, cave-dwelling eels, and monstrous spiders dwell in these caves, supporting a a whole way of life unknown on the surface. The grayfolk pluck many of the mushrooms and fungus you find on the way and eat them with relish. Tasting them yourself (if you care to) you find that some taste no better that dirt, some taste worse than that, but some are nutty or even buttery. At one point you even find a cave that has walls made of salt, which the grayfolk gather with relish and use lavishly on their mushrooms.*

*You're about a week and a half into your journey, following the yellow rock veins now, when the grayfolk call a halt to the party, pointing ahead to the entrance to a cavern of enormous proportions. From inside you can see a twilight blue glow.*

<Undercommon> "In this place, no light, no light," they say, indicating for you to put your glowglobe lanterns away. "What lives inside hates it, will find it, kill you, all you. Careful," they warn, as they tiptoe toward the cavern.

Rybaer

First Post
<in common> "They say we can't go in there with light. Whatever lives in there will attack anything with light...and they seem quite fearful of that."

<in undercommon> "Uh, just what is it that lives in here? Might it be still be dangerous if we don't have lights with us?"

dead_radish

Explorer
*Kelthet looks around in concern.* "My eyes may look like the under-dweller's, but they don't see like them. I'm not willing to thrash around in the darkness. If we're going on, I'm going to need an hour to focus so that I can gain magical sight."

manifold

First Post
dak

*In a barking whisper, Dak calls to Leesea and Phaern:

" 'Scuse me, Mister Sprite and Miz Leesea! You reckon you could call them grey folks to a halt?"

*Dak scoots over to the sprites and explains that many of the magicaly inclined, including himself, would like a chance to swap out spells.*

[ooc: Have any of these characters shared their truenames with Dak?]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads