• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] What's Arcana Unearthed all about?

Thrommel

First Post
Seems like there's been some confusion out there as to the role of Arcana Unearthed in the RPG landscape. So to clarify things a bit, I put together a little meta-FAQ along with the other guys on the Council of Magisters.

Is AU supposed to 'fix' 3E? Is it Monte's answer to 3.5?
Arcana Unearthed is an attempt to offer something different, it's not Monte's personal revision of 3E. Monte started work on AU long before he was aware 3E was going to be revised.

Isn't AU just a world book?
First and foremost, AU is a rule book, just like your player's handbook is a rule book. There is a bit more flavor to it, but the product focuses on things like new core classes, a different system for magic, new races, etc. It's very heavy on the 'crunch' factor. If you're looking for setting info, The Diamond Throne is the book you'll want to pick up.

That sounds pretty different. Can I use AU with my 3E/3.5 books and supplements?
The core concepts are the same. (How classes, races, levels, feats, skills, and so on work. The basics of combat, combat actions, saving throws, etc.) The game was designed and tested to be compatible with 3E. That means you can mix and match mechanics as much as you like. And the AU DM's Screen and Player Guide coming out in August will give you conversion guidelines for importing 3rd Edition and 3.5 Edition classes, spells, and other rules into the system.

Is it just Malhavoc Press that's producing AU material?
There are several companies partnering with Malhavoc Press to release AU materials. Mystic Eye Games is releasing a 144 page adventure called Siege on Ebonring Keep. Fiery Dragon is producing both an adventure (Plague of Dreams) and an AU Counter Collection. Ironwind Metals is creating a line of AU minis. Necromancer Games is also on board with adventure support and Code Monkey Publishing will be releasing an AU data set for both PCGen and eTools.

Will Monte ever release any more 'vanilla' 3E/3.5 products, or will it just be AU stuff from here on out?
There are a lot of products in the pipeline for AU, but that doesn't mean Monte has turned his back on D&D. -Not by a long shot. While we can't release details, you can definitely expect to see some 3E/3.5 material from Monte in the future.

If anyone has any other questions about AU, feel free to post and we'll try to tackle them.

-Thrommel

Tsyr

Explorer
Thrommel said:
If anyone has any other questions about AU, feel free to post and we'll try to tackle them.

How much material from AU, if any, will be open to other publishers to build on? The magic system, etc?

Thrommel

First Post
Monte has indicated that a lot of AU is going to be OGC. Unfortunately, I can't go into specific detail beyond that.

However, you can expect to hear more from Monte on this very subject soon. I know he plans to do something a little new with the open nature of AU, but I honestly don't know the specifics.

Bottom line: I believe he's going to address the OGC question in the next few weeks. I'd keep an eye on his AU Design Diary.

-Thrommel

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nothing at all wrong with that, blackshirt5. People here plug products (their own and others) all the time. Getting info on products is a lage reason to have a site like this :)

If Thrommel were getting paid to plug, it'd be a diffeent issue. But he's a muckity-muck for a fan organization. Not any worse than having Nightfall plug Scarred Lands, or the like.

blackshirt5

First Post
Yeah, but how many people can't figure out that to get more info on a Monte Cook product, we should go to montecook.com?

And as for Nightfall, he doesn't just tell us to wait until one of the SL developers comes and addresses the topic.

Last edited:

TiQuinn

blackshirt5 said:
Yeah, but how many people can't figure out that to get more info on a Monte Cook product, we should go to montecook.com?

And as for Nightfall, he doesn't just tell us to wait until one of the SL developers comes and addresses the topic.

Any more than people should go to Wizards.com to find out more about 3.5?

Thrommel

First Post
I'm sorry that I can't answer a specific question about AU and OGC. Frankly, I just don't know the answer to that and would hate to get raked over the coals later for giving out wrong information now.

My point behind posting was simply to clear up some misconceptions about the book, that's all. Between the confusion with the 3.5 revisions and the unique nature of AU, I thought some clarification would help people get their mind around what AU is and is not.

There are some myths out there (like "this is Monte's 3.5") which are neither accurate nor helpful to the gaming community at large.

-Thrommel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads