• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AU - What's good to play?

Imagicka

Explorer
Greetings...

I've been invited to play a character in Unearthed Arcana/Arcana Evolved, whatever you want to call it... and I'm familiar with the setting except for what I've gleened here and there by reading the boards...

So, I ask you all... what would be an interesting character to play? What would you play?
If you want to even get as technical as to mention feats and skills, that's cool too.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Well if you like spellcasters, AU/AE has one of the best d20 magic systems out there IMO. There is a ton of flexibility when playing any type of spellcaster. I'm currently playing a verrik magister and I love it. With heightening, diminishng, slot weaving/unravelling, and templates I have so many options. It's a lot of fun.

I also like Totem Warriors and Champions myself. Good fighter-type classes with built-in options for different types within the class itself.

lukelightning

First Post
Depends on what kind of character you want.

For a spellcaster, the Magister can't be beat. Spellcasters of all kinds are super versatile in AU/AE. No more lame divine-arcane divide, any caster can heal.

I like the witch classes myself; If I was playing a game (I run an AE campaign), I'd play a witch; pretty good magic abilities, and their witcheries can be pretty good; all in all a versatile character.

For a non-spellcaster warmains are pretty brutal but I like totem warriors. Unfettered are the best "swashbuckler" class I've seen.

Akashics are great to play too because they are so versatile.

Voadam

Legend
Giant racial class. Three levels giving you stat bonuses and eventually bringing you to size large. I've played one in two games and it is fun.

Giants have the whole noble responsibility angle going for roleplay which can be fun as well.

lukelightning

First Post
I like the sibbecai race and racial class; full BAB, bite ability, scent, etc. Great for totem warriors.

One of my players has a giant 3/warmain 3 who is an absolute combat terror, swinging a huge great hammer. He did a crit on a monster and did 96 points of damage! Too bad the poor monster only had 7 hit points.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I had a ton of fun playing a Mind Witch. Between his spells and Mind Blade, he was very flexible as to the role he could fill in the party.

I think that the diversity of opinions offered in this thread speaks well of the system.

Remove ads