• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Augment Healing and Mass Cure spells

shmoo2

First Post
If a character with the Augment Healing feat casts a Mass Cure spell, is the extra healing from the feat applied to each target, or distributed among them?

E.g. a level 17 druid cast Mass Cure Critical Wounds (level 9 spell), for 4d8+17 hp healed on 6 targets. With the Augment Healing feat (+2hp healed/spell level = 18hp), does each target get 4d8+35 hp, or are the extra hp divided up between the 6 targets, giving each 4d8+20?

The feat itself in CD, reads: "Add +2 points per spell level to the amount of damage healed by any Conjuration (Healing) spell that you cast." It doesn't mention multiple targets one way or the other.

thanks!

Erywin

First Post
IMC, I allow the cleric to add the extra healing to everybody because I haven't found anything to contridict that yet.

Cheers,
E

Caliban

Rules Monkey
You get one amount of healing that is applied to all target, not spread between them, and I don't think Augment Healing would change that.

I've used it a few times with mass spells (signet of healing, mass cure light) and the Augment Healing bonus applied to all targets.

Dross

Explorer
Erywin said:
IMC, I allow the cleric to add the extra healing to everybody because I haven't found anything to contridict that yet.

Cheers,
E

Playing Devil's advocate:
Then what you are adding to the cure spell is (2hp per spell level) per PC, not 2hp per spell level.
Doesn't that contradict what happens?

Consider Vigour, the +2 hp per spell level only happens on the 1st round

I admit that your ruling makes life easier.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
I'd say since they are separate instances of healing, each roll gets the bonus. Plus if you don't allow it, the feat starts getting worse as you gain levels, and that's silly. Look at Toughness for an example of this.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dross said:
Consider Vigour, the +2 hp per spell level only happens on the 1st round

As written, I'd treat Vigor the same way I'd treat Remove Blindness. Vigor doesn't cure any hit point damage; rather, it grants Fast Healing to the subject. So it should behave like any other Conjuration (Healing) spell that cures no hit point damage.

I wouldn't have Augment Healing make Remove Blindness cure 2hp/level; Remove Blindness doesn't cure 0 hit points... rather, it doesn't cure hit points at all. So, likewise, I'd consider Augment Healing to have no effect on Vigor.

-Hyp.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
As written, I'd treat Vigor the same way I'd treat Remove Blindness. Vigor doesn't cure any hit point damage; rather, it grants Fast Healing to the subject. So it should behave like any other Conjuration (Healing) spell that cures no hit point damage.
A good solid argument, and from what I have seen I agree. However the FAQ has gone and stepped it's foot in it and said that Augment healing works as Dross describes. It's a 'reasonable' assumption that he's following FAQ over RAW.

Dross

Explorer
TheGogmagog said:
A good solid argument, and from what I have seen I agree. However the FAQ has gone and stepped it's foot in it and said that Augment healing works as Dross describes. It's a 'reasonable' assumption that he's following FAQ over RAW.

Unfortunitely for you Gog it came from faulty memory, didn't realise it was the FAQ answer. :heh: We don't use Vigour so the Q does not come up with us.

I actually tend to follow: What has ENworld got to say about it then how do I feel about it? I feel that the FAQ needs to come with a warning about changeing the rules, not clarifying the rules.

Remove ads