• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

augmented crittical

VonRichthofen

First Post
Kafkonia said:
I've seen a house rule where it takes the "a doubling of a doubling is a trebling, not a quadrupling" approach.

That's no houserule at all.

It's the WotC way of handling things, not only with critical hits.

Same goes for damage doublings, charges, et. al.

In your example, a Spirited Charge with a lance that confirmed a critical hit would do 9x base damage & the house rule only would bring it to 5x base damage.
But said "houserule" is the official thing.

This helps to reign in the uber-multilpier-abusing builds at least a bit, alltough hundreds or even thousands of damage per round can still be done with a little creativity.

Notmousse

First Post
I can't disagree with SKR more. Mechanical benefits are one thing, and not covered fully either, but flavor is a huge aspect of any character I (and many fellow gamers) play.

There's also the 'burst' weapon enhancements which make criticals all the more important.

Imagine a flaming burst, shocking burst, keen rapier with Improved Critical stacking. On a critical hit you're talking an additional 2d10 on top of normal critical hit damage. That's a minimum 40% of all hits if your local cleric blessed the group.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Hmm interesting Notmousse..

We disagree with SKR but for differing reasons. When I examined the power of keen it struck me as a rather poor powerplay.

The only time it looks good is with a 2handed 18+ crit weapon, using power attack, and with a large average damage. Oh, and back when vorpal was triggered on a crit.

Nah, burst weapons compare rather unfavourably to flat enhancement, enhancement+energy, and of course holy. Then again, holy spanks everything. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Notmousse said:
That's a minimum 40% of all hits if your local cleric blessed the group.
Uhm, autoconfirming crits is a feature of a Paladin's spell "Bless weapon". Not a Bless spell cast on a weapon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads