Aundair raiders - Game started.

Jemal

Adventurer
And no offense to whoever thought it up, but I'm having trouble taking "The Dousers" seriously... IMO it doesn't sound appropriate unless we're going for a humour aspect.

I don't know why, it just sounds.. cartoony to me. Try saying it out loud a few times.. It's not inspiring, fearful, cool-sounding... it makes me think it's something Inspector Gadget would say upon seeing giant fire-breathing robots, and now I can't take it seriously. :(
"Go-go Gadget Douser"

Eryndur

Explorer
That sounds like a good plan, Jemal.

Maybe we could all agree upon a certain piece of geography we operated in and what the general military situation was, and then each player can use that playground to come up with cool episodes on their own.

And you don't like "Dousers"?! You're breaking my heart! :( I was trying to think of a nickname that was understated, but projected a cold menace. For instance, I think it would be lame to name the squadron something like "Deathdealers", or "Foecrushers". Doesn't have any subtlety.

Anyone read any of Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen? If so, "Bridgeburners" is the sort of seemingly innocuous yet ultimately badass name I'm looking for. "Widowmaker", the name of Pecos Bill's horse, is also coolly understated.

How about the 51st Airborne "Dead Men". In that we fight with such ferocity, it's as if we had already sacrificed our lives to the cause. So, when Thranish scouts heard news of our landfall, they would report back to their superiors with the ominous words, "The Dead walk the land." :cool:

Jemal

Adventurer
Yeah, the problem is I don't have any good names to replace it with, making me sound mildly hipocritical.
"That's not a good name"
"Do you have a better one?"
"ER.. no..."

As I said, it's not that the name is inherently bad, it's just that I can't stop thinking about Inspector Gadget & Saturday morning cartoons in relation to it, thus I have trouble taking it as a serious army name.

Hmm...

*EDIT: OOH, Starship troopers rip-off? The Roughnecks ;) *L*

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Eryndur said:
How about the 51st Airborne "Dead Men". In that we fight with such ferocity, it's as if we had already sacrificed our lives to the cause. So, when Thranish scouts heard news of our landfall, they would report back to their superiors with the ominous words, "The Dead walk the land." :cool:

This one is actually the coolest so far. I'll vote for the Dead Men :]

Mista Collins

First Post
"The Dead Men walk the land".... I like that.

I should have my Human Telepath post in the Rogue's gallery by tomorrow night. I might make the character a Kalashtar instead. But either way he will be a Telepath.

ethandrew

First Post
I like the Dead Men. And given that it's a nickname, something other's have dubbed us as we're officially the 51st Airborne, we as a group don't have to like it. We could be walking through a camp bloodied and bruised, some sniveling looking guy could say, "There walk the Dead Men, don't look so tough to me," and we could blind-side him out cold due to his insolence. But I personally like it.

So, from what I've gleaned:
-51st Airborne gets to their positions first by Airship
-We were initially supposed to be a battalion of one-and-done missions, ie. things off the wall crazy and dangerous that command suspected heavy casualties every time they sent us out, only to have us report back with minimal casualties
-We had an episode with an evil dragon that killed a large amount of our friends
-During massive sieges against Vigilant and Valiant, the 51st Airborne battled through endless onslaughts of Thranish swine over the course of weeks, months, or years without hope of reinforcement and the occasional wayward Airship drop of goods
-We had a Warforged Regiment in our company, only one of whom travels with us now
-We're all colonels and field generals ;)

Did I forget a few things? Please add on much more.

Eryndur

Explorer
In addition, remember that Towers V&V were the endpoints of a long open front between the two nations. They were both besieged plenty, but the most slaughter took part on the miles of churned up farmland in between. The Aundairian town of Ghalt to the west was always the object for Thrane, as it sat astride not only the major north-south trade road, but also a vital lightning rail station.

Remove ads