Aundair raiders - Game started.

Eryndur

Explorer
Thanks for the support, guys! I've always thought that the political machinations of the post-war nations is just rife with campaign ideas. But what's so cool about it is that it strays away from the typical D&D dungeon-delving, "kill, loot, repeat" that is served so excellently by the continent of Xen'drik.

This could be a campaign where divination and enchantment magic could easily be more relevant than "blast 'em" spells, and where Charisma-based skills would be absolutely essential, from the back alley mean streets to the high courts. Almost no weird monsters to fight, but tons of mean NPC sonofaguns. Lots of poison use, court intrigue, black market dealing, spreading of misinformation and anti-propaganda, and sweet sweet revenge.

It'll be glorious, I tell you -- GLORIOUS!

C'mon, Dr. Zombie, whaddaya say?

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
The Trust:

The Gnomish Secret Police that makes sure any potential problems in Zilargo disappear before they become problems. We would all play gnomes (with maybe a warforged henchman attached to our unit thrown in) focused on intrigue, political manipulation, and knowing things before anyone else knows them.

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
I've been wanting to do something with the Royal Eyes since Five Nations came out, but on the other hand it might be better to simply loosen up things to "the court" rather than any specific agency. That way you could have more subtext than "simple" spying, and include the sorts of challenges that say a nobleman in service to the Queen (in association with the Eyes), the Mosaic Committee, the Aundair military ("special agents" of the royal guard perhaps?), and maybe even patriotic merchants (outside of the Dragonmarked Houses, of course) dedicated to working with, around, and for the Queen and the Eyes. It would also allow a certain amount of "you have your orders, but I unfortunately so do I" friction that might play well if it's understood that such things would probably be secondary motivations.

Of course, I think an all gnome, agents of Zilargo game would be pretty nifty too; or a group of characters whose main goal was homesteading in Xen'Drik.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
ShaggySpellsword said:
The name of the group isn't coming to me right now...

The Gnomish Secret Police that makes sure any potential problems in Zilargo disappear before they become problems. We would all play gnomes (with maybe a warforged?) focused on intrigue, political manipulation, and knowing things before anyone else knows them.
You mean the "Trust". I would like that one too but I don't think there are many who would like to play gnomes. Ofcourse I might very well be totally wrong. Just an impression I've lately got.

Kaodi

Hero
Why the hate for Thrane? I've thought of a game based on trying to take back Thaliost before, but it wasn't because I disliked Thrane, but because it was one of the most prominent territorial disputes where one " side " would have a strong desire to initiate hostilities.

Also, I think that it would be good to heavily involve the Aundairian military. There are likely a few armies hanging around north of the border that could be an additional source of plots.

Eryndur

Explorer
My opinion of Thrane and the Silver Flame in general went right down the drain after reading the Forge of War. I know it was mainly under the direction of one crazed Keeper, but the atrocities and religious zealotry in Thaliost really made be feel for the Aundairian cause. I just think it would be really cool to play hard-line nationalists, PC's who are absolutely and totally single-minded to seeing Thrane defeated. Then, of course, the DM could introduce certain elements that cause that basic foundation to crumble and the PC's are eventually forced to reassess their convictions.

Remove ads