Aundair raiders - Game started.

Jemal

Adventurer
Well, haven't read any novels, but I do have the Ebberon Campaign setting and have been getting into it recently. I must say, Airships intrigue me.. Although not for the reason that they FLY, as much as the reason that I like the idea of being crew aboard a ship (of any kind).

I also like this.. 'nationalist' idea. It seems to me like it could evolve into (Or would be in the first place) a War style campaign, and I haven't seen one of those on the Boards. And playing a campaign set during a war is HELLA fun.

DrZombie

First Post
Muaaahahahahahaaaa, they fell for it, setting themselves up in a political campaign, playing idealists and just waiting to have their pityfull faith shattered.

Tap tap.

Eeuhm, did I just say that out loud?

Allrighty. You've got yourselves a faction. Aundair. And an airship. One of you will have to play a dragonmarked half-elf to fly the thing, the rest are free to play what they want.

I'll accept six to eight players. The characters have been together for four years now, two during the war and two after the war. Don't start with stat blocks. Try working on a communal background first. What did you do during the war. What did you do after the war. While you don't know everything about each other, you have been through some very rough times together. You trust each other, and you won't betray that trust easily. You are all Aundairians through and through. That being said, only post things you want the others to know, and if you have some questions mail me at maarten dot kuppers at gmail dot com.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
A good chance for me to play monk. Now for the question you probably say no but I have to ask: How about vow of poverty? On that matter many of the other vow-feats too? I'm actually looking at them because RP-applications and not the munckinism they can present in some kind of campaigns. Intrique campaign would be ideal for those feats to work well instead of being uber.

DrZombie

First Post
On a side note : Airships are cool, flashy and very noticable. Not the ideal method of transportation for a bunch of spies. You'll either need a very good cover story when in enemy territory or you'll need a good place to hide it.

Blackrat : I'll allow it. But I need a very good background and will disallow it if I'm not entirely happy with it, or if the other players don't like having a poor monk around.

Blackrat

Yeah. I was thinking something like a very Zen-monk. More of a meditative diplomat than "I'll kick you ten times in a second and that was just my first attack" monk. I'll get to creating the background when I can get to my books.

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
I'd like to be a nobleman whose family gold purchased the ship from wherever you buy airships from. Maybe during the war it was actually a military vessel, used to house House troops and now sold directly to that family at a substantial discount in exchange for certain "courtesies" in the realm of who and what gets transported. I'm not sure exactly what class he'd be, or if he'd also be the captain of the vessel, but being of sufficient noble rank to make it damned inconvenient to simply round the vessel up as suspect without causing a diplomatic incident sounds like a good idea.

The other characters would (at least I wouldn't expect them to be, unless someone beside him is playing the piloting captain) under him, but "attached": folks who are nominally passengers on the manifest (and therefore able to be denounced if it hits the fan) even if they act as crew. And occasionally I'd expect them to show up with "suggestions" from their agencies as to places where the ship might want to be going and such?

My character's role would be mostly to obey the laws and see to the normal operations and duties of what you'd expect a trading airship with noble ties to do. Running interference, bailing people out of jail, securing interviews with VIPS, etc I think? How does that sound?

Eryndur

Explorer
Score one for nationalism-bred hatred!

As for group history during the war, I'm assuming that, at the very least, we were members of the same platoon, regiment, company, what have you. I kind of like the notion of the various wars of attrition that took place during the Last War: Rekkenmark, the Cauldron, the Crying Fields, etc. Some of the nastiest fighting took place for nothing more than meters of muddy land. This would yield some mightily disenchanted veterans.

So, if we went with the Crying Fields in the Aundair/Thrane front, we could have been attached to commands at the Towers Vigilant and Valiant, switching between them as needed. And we could have gotten airship training by being part of an "airborne" company, sent to the hottest spots of battle along the front to bolster the defense whenever needed. We would've been dropped on lines to the ground, a la Black Hawk Down.

In the end, nothing was accomplished. We saw close friends killed on a daily basis and we saw squads mass-converted to the Silver Flame at swordpoint. We reaped no benefit, no revenge.

This would hurt our psyches even more, since we can trace our blood back to either Thaliost or the Thaliost peninsula, where our grandfathers or fathers (depending on race) fought and died during the sack of that city 68 years ago.

To tie the group to Thaliost in the present, I'd venture that we are either stationed at Fairhaven (the capital), or Stormhome. Stormhome might be great, because 1)it's a House Lyrandar enclave with an Aundairian base located there, thus providing an easy tie-in to airships and 2)it's a quick ride up Scions Sound to Thaliost.

I'm just floating these ideas, and I'm not tied to any of them, so feel free to disregard.

Blackrat

Eryndur said:
Snip
This would hurt our psyches even more, since we can trace our blood back to either Thaliost or the Thaliost peninsula, where our grandfathers or fathers (depending on race) fought and died during the sack of that city 68 years ago.
Snip

Or even brothers. If someone plays an elf :heh:
Seriously. I'm actually leaning towards an elf who lived in a monastery near Thaliost. So he would have been firsthand witness to the fall. His only obstacle to the self-perfection of mind would be his thirst for revenge, which he tries hard to suppress.

Autumn

First Post
I'm drawn towards a scholarly type for this, a chronicler and adviser in the days of the war. He was originally from a very genteel and ivory-tower background, but his time at the front made a soldier out of him. His family, who made their fortune in wine making, lost their holdings in the last days of the war. When peace returned, even aside from the changes he had gone through that might have made him uncomfortable returning to his life, he found that he had no life to return to any more. For a time he busied himself with what he came to see as his life's work, the writing of Aundair's history in the Last War. He has come to realise, though, that he can't be satisfied with just recording his nation's history. Mere passive observation alone can't content him.

As for his class... I'm not sure on this yet. Wizard... bard... artificer... rogue... one of those I guess, or some combination of them.

As for how he could tie in with the others; he would presumably have been attached to their unit in the Last War. No doubt they would have viewed him with suspicion at first. In time though he bonded with them and earned their respect through the trials they endured together. After demobilisation he would have taken his leave at first, to go home; upon finding no home to go back to he would have returned, a little changed from the newly severed ties.

edit: I've just realised that, classwise, Archivist (maybe with a splash of rogue) could be a really good fit. How do you feel about the class DrZombie?

Last edited:

Remove ads