Aundair raiders - Game started.

Eryndur

Explorer
My starting level is 7. I'll be playing a male human paladin 5/gray guard 2. Stats up soon.

I like the 51st. Sounds cool.

ethandrew

First Post
Starting level is 6.

What about starting gold? I think each character in the 51st should have the same, or maybe even have those who start at lower levels get a bonus to their starting gold, to even things out a bit.

Eryndur

Explorer
Looking at the compiled list of concepts, I should probably warn everyone that even though I'm making a paladin, he will not be focusing on healing and/or buffing. I'll have Lay on Hands for a total of 21 hp a day, and that's it.

I'm foreseeing a problem, because we have nary a divine caster.

Jemal

Adventurer
Wasn't expecting you to, Eryndur. I've never played with a paladin who WAS a healer/buffer. Paladins are fighters that smite. Their spells are Usually used to heal themselves since they're the ones tanking.
Also, If I play the Psion, I'll be healing myself, and if I play a Warlock, problem will be solved b/c I'll have Wands of Healing and the ability to take 10 on UMD. In such a case however, I would be expecting the entire party to help pay for the wands, if I'm gonna be the healer.

Also, I agree with ethandrew - I'm not AGAINST the concept of varied levels, but I am curious why, and wonder if there's going to be anything to level things out. the current level range is 5-7, but someone could roll a 4, and a lvl 4 character in the same party is about as effective as a cohort (Which tend to die rather quickly and aren't too useful until high level).
It wouldn't be so much of a concern if the levels were in the double digits, but as stated, the difference between a lvl 4 and a lvl 7 is rather large.

Last edited:

Eryndur

Explorer
About random starting level: I'm cool with dropping down to 6th, since that seems to be the average. Although it's way cool that Dr. Zombie gave me an added level because my campaign concept was chosen, the last thing I want is to create resentment. Just getting to play in a campaign of my choosing is cool enough, trust me!

Jemal, that's cool with the whole healing issue. I just didn't want everyone to look at your list and think, "Oh, we're cool on the healing front. No problemo."

I also second the call for a starting gold amount. My guy is finished except for gear, and I'm jonesing to go shopping.

Jemal

Adventurer
OH, there's no resentment, I don't have a problem with dif levels.. it's just that if the gap is too much, there can be problems with balance.

As to the Healing, let see...

Autumn - Archivist
Blackrat - Shaolin Monk
Drerek - Arcane Archer.
Eryndur - Paladin/Grayguard
Ethandrew - Human Marshal
Jemal - Psion/Pyro or melee Warlock
Kaodi - Expressed interest, no char. concept.
Mista Collins -Telepath Psion
ShaggySpellsword - Fighter/mage
Voda Vosa - Warforged Artificer

Archivists CAN heal if Autumn decides he wants to(He does cast Divine Spells after all). The paladin can heal itself. Psion's have a 2nd-lvl self-healing power, and the warforged Artificer can heal itself. BOTH of my concepts are self-healing, and Drerek shouldn't be taking damage (archer's would both be well away from the fighting unless we're screwing up). That leaves Blackrat, Ethandrew, Kaodi, and Shaggy needing healing.
If Autumn only takes enough healing for himself, that leaves us with 4 potential characters that can't heal. 3 if the monk makes it to lvl 7 and gains wholeness of body.
Kaodi hasn't decided on a character yet, either, so he might either heal or at least not need anybody else to heal himself.
Don't have info on the Marshal, so not sure whether it's a front-line fighter(And thus would need healing), or not.

BTW, anybody have any preferences on which of my concepts I should work on? I truley can't decide, I've been wanting to play both of these lately...

Melee Warlock/Fighter, who uses his family's innate Eldritch powers to shore up his lack of natural skill in fighting,
OR
Psionic Pyro, very loyal to his comrades but can be a bit... 'hot-headed' at times. really likes to burn things... living or non. (Could be either a melee OR ranged character)

Jemal

Adventurer
Voda : it's 1d4+3, not +4. that was for Eryndur as it was his campaign idea that was picked. Thus you'd be lvl 6, which seems to be turning into the quick average..

Eryndur: 7
Jemal: 6
Voda Vosa: 6
Ethandrew: 6
ShaggySpellsword: 6
Drerek: 5
Blackrat: 5
Autumn: 5

Kaodi & Mista Collins haven't rolled yet, and so long as neither of them rolls a 1(lvl 4), we should be fairly even provided everybody starts with the same gold. I have no problem with Eryndur being ahead when the rest of us are all within 1 lvl of each other. It's his 'bonus' for coming up with this awesome campaign idea that we all get to game in. :D
And that the awesomely cool DR Zombie gets to DM for us.

Jemal

Adventurer
Also of note (And sorry for multiposting), I like the 51st platoon, but am not too fond of the name Adal's Blade.

As I can't currently come up with something better, I'm not saying we should change it yet, but if anybody else has any ideas..

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I'm on the verge of deciding either Bard 5/Fighter 1 (potentially bringing in a little healing) or Wizard 4/Knight 2 (My preference).

Which would be more useful?

Remove ads