• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Avenging Paladin Weapon Selection

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I'm thinking up a concept for a Dragonborn paladin that I may be playing in an upcoming game. I intend to make a Str-based paladin, but I just can't decide which weapon to pick.

He's going to wield a two-handed weapon, and for story/background reasons I'd like to use a heavy blade, but ... the higher damage of the battleaxe or maul keep drawing me back. To be honest, I'd like the falchion, but I just don't see how 2d4 competes with the 2d6 and 1d12 of the high damage weapons, even with high crit. I'd also prefer not to spend the feat for the bastard sword, though I might if it'll work well. The character will be 4th level, if that helps at all.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how I can accomplish this? It seems like using a two-handed heavy blade is giving yourself a bit of a gimp (especially with 3[W] and higher powers) - maybe I'm just not seeing something?

Thanks in advance!

FireLance

Legend
It's the price you pay for precision: the higher damage of the greataxe and the maul is offset by their lower proficiency bonus (+2) compared with the greatsword (+3).

However, if you only want the flavor of using a heavy blade, why not ask your DM if you can use a "heavy greatsword" that is mechanically identical to a greataxe or maul?

avr

First Post
If the story reason is that you want to carry your ancestral weapon with you, you could do as Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings or Roy Greenhilt in OOTS - have it be broken! You're just using that maul until you get it reforged ...

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
If the story reason is that you want to carry your ancestral weapon with you, you could do as Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings or Roy Greenhilt in OOTS - have it be broken! You're just using that maul until you get it reforged ...
Haha, that's a good idea, except the story reason is that he was trained to fight by elves who favor swords ;)

Thanks for the other suggestion, Firelance. I'll think about using that one ... or just settle for the greatsword. I'd really like a falchion (because I love curvy swords ;)), but it just doesn't seem to quite cut it - you lose 1.5 average damage per [W] compared to a greataxe for an extra +1 to hit. I don't think the high crit is worth that much at level 4. Maybe at paragon, but not yet.

ulrikbb

First Post
Well, can't your greatsword simply be a curved one? I'm sure nobody will care. Bring a picture of it, and awe your player friends :)

Gloombunny

First Post
Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how I can accomplish this? It seems like using a two-handed heavy blade is giving yourself a bit of a gimp (especially with 3[W] and higher powers) - maybe I'm just not seeing something?
All those [W]s aren't going to look so great when the attack misses. With a greatsword that'll happen less often.

Also, if you're favoring Charisma over Strength as many paladins do, using a heavy blade means you can make up for your weaker OAs with Blade Opportunist and later Heavy Blade Opportunity, making you a better defender.

Remove ads