Awakening Apocalypse - Shadowrun 5E setup discussion (Recruiting)

Mosier

First Post
Just giving this thread a nudge to remind everyone to submit their characters, hopefully today or tomorrow. Sunday you'll be thrown to the shadows, ready or not!

If anyone is having trouble with their character and wants to talk through it with me, just hit me with a PM and I'll be happy to help.

As it stands, there are currently no spellcasters or deckers on the team. This is fine, because Aleksander knows your strengths and weaknesses, and wont send you on runs you can't complete. But it also means those roles are open if anyone is interested. Deckers in particular may seem very underpowered with the tech limit, but keep in mind that the opposition is similarly tech-restricted, and cyberdeck technology will only get better as the game progresses.

The next update will be the first post of the game thread, day after tomorrow. See you there, chummers!

Shayuri

First Post
The problem with decking isn't the tech, it's the Availiability. You can't get a cyberdeck for Availability 4. Even a commlink can't be better than the second model from the bottom. :)

Mosier

First Post
The problem with decking isn't the tech, it's the Availiability. You can't get a cyberdeck for Availability 4. Even a commlink can't be better than the second model from the bottom. :)

To be fair, there are two cyberdecks with availability 3. These devices represent bleeding edge tech that corps haven't even begun to exploit yet. The term "cyberdeck" doesn't even exist in normal lingo yet (although they will be mass produced much earlier in our game than in the normal SR timeline). If anyone chooses to run with a cyberdeck, it will represent a one-of-a-kind device that a particularly skilled hacker lovingly assembled with his own two hands. A PC with a cyberdeck will be able to run circles around normal intrusion countermeasures.

Like I said before though, this is your campaign! Aleksander will find jobs suited for you (at least, at first), whether it turns out anyone plays as a mage or decker, or not.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'll be honest, I'm still juggling concepts and mage or decker were pretty much the two I am trying to decide between. I'm strongly leaning towards decker and I'll do my best to get everything wrapped up Saturday before it all hits the fan.

Shayuri

First Post
Ah, Mosier, my bad on the cdeck thing!

I want to say too that there IS a version of the very good character generator program Chummer for 5th Edition Shadowrun now. Helps a ton! So you guys who haven't finished your sheets yet, try googling 'chummer 5.' :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
My character sheet isn't done. Not even close. I expected to have more time during this past week and today to work on it than I had. To make things more difficult, I've never played Shadowrun and I've only skimmed the rules. Chummer should help immensely, once I figure things out (thanks, Shayuri). I don't want to hold the game up so maybe I should start a bit later than the others, unless you are willing to let me play as I work out the mechanics. I apologize for the ineptness and tardiness and for not letting you know about it until the last minute.

My concept:

Andrew Burke, aka Heartbreak.

Andrew Burke was born in 1986 in Creve Coeur, Missouri (part of the Greater St Louis metropolitan area). He was a child of privilege, raised by an executive couple who worked in an information technology consulting firm, and encouraged to delve deeply into his interests. Andrew's interest is the Matrix, AR, and VR and he managed to secure enrollment at MIT for computer science and engineering. His sophomore year Andrew and his roommate, Michael Contreo, began developing a device for accessing and manipulating the Matrix. They planned to set themselves up in business, perhaps with a few favors from Andrew's parents.

Then disaster: Andrew's parents both developed VITAS and died. Andrew, in shock, ended up in a car accident, sustained injury to the brain, and coma. A year later when he woke his world was vastly different. His parents were gone, his inheritance was nearly spent on medical fees, and Michael Contreo had taken their work to Shiawase Electronics and bartered it into a position for himself.

Therapy expended nearly the last of Andrew's resources and life on the downslope from privilege was much more difficult than he expected...

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
Alrighty. I think I have finished up Charles St. James. Just need to know where to put his character sheet :) Are we going to do a Rogues Gallery, posting them here in the OOC thread, or are we keeping our character's skills and whatnot a secret from other players by PMing them straight to you?

Mosier

First Post
PM the character sheet directly to me. You can go into however much detail you want in this thread, except don't post specific stat number values here.

Mosier

First Post
My character sheet isn't done. Not even close. I expected to have more time during this past week and today to work on it than I had. To make things more difficult, I've never played Shadowrun and I've only skimmed the rules. Chummer should help immensely, once I figure things out (thanks, Shayuri). I don't want to hold the game up so maybe I should start a bit later than the others, unless you are willing to let me play as I work out the mechanics. I apologize for the ineptness and tardiness and for not letting you know about it until the last minute.

I actually expected that it would take longer than usual to finish up character sheets. I don't think any of us have actually played this edition of Shadowrun before, and this specific setting puts a lot of extra restrictions on character creation.

I'll be making the first post today as promised, but the first few posts will not require many (if any) dice rolls. I'm perfectly okay with you still participating (but automatically failing any rolls) until you finalize things. This will give you a couple of days to finish up your character before we get into the meat of the game. Or if you prefer, I can leave you out of the first couple of posts entirely. Whatever you're more comfortable with.

Remove ads