[B.A.D.D.] I did a bad thing....

Bull

First Post
Ok, couple of questions from someone who doesn't read these boards all too often...

One: What exactly is BADD? I get the base premise, but the website linke was broken in someone's .sig.

Two: One thought for making Dragon's more tolerable... Trick the players. :]

Ok, this is probably one of my better game twists, really. So I'm divulging a trade secret here...

Once upon a time, my players are travelling down the road in a fairly "out of the way", rural kingdom. Suddenly, they come acrossed a large Stone, with a sword sticking into it. Below was a sign saying "He who pulls the Sword from the Stone shall be named king!" The party shrugs, and decides "Wht the hell?" and the Dwarf is the frist one to stump forward and try. The Sword comes out easily, and immediately townsfolk start rushing forward proclaiming a new king. (I'll be honest, this first part is culled from I believe a Shadis of Challenge Magazine eons ago).

The PCs get wined, dined, given the royal treatment, then the Minister comes forward and tells them that as the new King, it's their job to deal with the Dragon. It seems that there's a Dragon who has been extorting loot from the town for years. He shows up every Falla round Haarvest time, demanding Livestock, Gold, all kinds of stuff. Turns out the Dwarf isn't the first "king" they've hooked that way, and as King he was expected to face the Dragon and deal with it.

The PCs got a very good description of the Dragon, had a map right to it's lair, and even saw the Dragon, a large white Dragon, when it dropped in breifly to warn the town they only had a few days left to gather his "tribute". So, the PCs load up on Fire Spells, Casks of oil, prtection from Cold spells, etc. Finally, they march forth and invade the Dragon's lair...

Unfortunately for them, the dragon was NOT a White Dragon. He was an Albino Red Dragon...

Bull

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Still looking,

A few things I should tell you, The 2 baby dragons where killed before the mama dragon appeared. My group didn't fight 3 dragons at once.

Also it looks like that campaign I was running has died. We took a month or so off gaming and everybody seems to want to restart a new game. So no revenge on the party :(

Squire James

First Post
Well, I agree it could have been run better, but there's a lot of "let's get revenge for the PC's doing things exactly right" going on here that I have to object to. I'll shut up about that and throw in my own BADD suggestions:

1. The biggest mistake that dragon made is voluntarily getting into melee range, even for a Crush. A Gargantuan or Colossal dragon might get away with it, but a Huge dragon is just asking for it! That flying fighter is probably the only one that should be able to melee the dragon in that combat.

2. A targeted Dispel on that Fighter's magical boots, or an untargeted Dispel on the underwater party (hoping to catch that Water Breathing effect on everyone) would have worked wonders in that encounter.

3. Misdirection (or whatever that spell was that turns the caster invisible and creates an illusion of the caster in its place). The real dragon swims into its lair, the illusory dragon swims into a cage full of invisible Dire Sharks!

Do they feel... challenged... yet?

Sodalis

First Post
i want to join BADD

I have DMed a couple games and have never took dragons lightly.

The party has never even heard of, seen, or contacted a dragon and never will in my campaign. They fought a Ibrandlin (MoF) and Wyverns and such, but never will they even think of fighting a dragon- T Rex- yes...

In my books- Dragons are the lords of their Domain, and no hobbit with a magic arrow and a ring of inv will kill him and loot his lair...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: i want to join BADD

Sodalis said:
In my books- Dragons are the lords of their Domain, and no hobbit with a magic arrow and a ring of inv will kill him and loot his lair...

A mighty human archer with an ancestral arrow on the shore is a different issue, right?

CRGreathouse said:
If you throw a great wyrm at them, it doesn't make the point that dragons are powerful - only that you're a jerk.

Sorry for not getting back to this thread, apparently I'm not getting e-mail saying there's been a reply anymore.

I never once mentioned what age/size the 'husband' should be. I'd actually more or less assumed it would be the same as the female, perhaps a 'step' either way. I was mearly providing an 'excuse' for the DM to try again, using the ideas and tactics we here at B.A.D.D. provided.

Hatchling Dragon

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hatchling Dragon said:
I never once mentioned what age/size the 'husband' should be. I'd actually more or less assumed it would be the same as the female, perhaps a 'step' either way. I was mearly providing an 'excuse' for the DM to try again, using the ideas and tactics we here at B.A.D.D. provided.

I'm sorry if I implied you said that. I just felt that the thread was getting slowly out of control and I had to reign it in, back to "playable" standards.

It was not my intent to defame you in any way. I apologize. :(

Remove ads