B/X D&D on balance

pemerton

Legend
A bit more on the 4e XP thing:

This is part of what I think supports the idea, discussed upthread, that 4e is a sim game with some gamist trappings. Ch 7 of the DMG is called "rewards", but to earn XP all you have to do is turn up and play the game (contrast classic D&D, where you can play a whole session but get no meaningful XP because you don't find any treasure); and treasure comes in level-guaranteed "parcels".

What really was a reward in classic D&D play (loot and XP) has in 4e become a mere pacing device, for parcelling out increases in PC build complexity (via more levels and more items), and corresponding increases in the story/cosmological scope of play (heroic > paragon > epic > immortality as a mostly free-narrated endgame).

I don't think 4e has to be played sim. [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION] has for some time now articulated a clear gamist conception of 4e play - but it's not "strategic" gamism of the classic D&D Gygaxian variety, but rather "local" or "tactial" gamism, of showing off your build and your skill and your "coolness" in the course of play.

And I and others play 4e as a sort of light, fairly gonzo "story now" game. The pacing of the growth in PC build complexity and expansion of fictional scope become a backdrop that corresponds to an escalation of the cosmological stakes and the player/PC engagement with them.

S'mon

Legend
This is part of what I think supports the idea, discussed upthread, that 4e is a sim game with some gamist trappings. Ch 7 of the DMG is called "rewards", but to earn XP all you have to do is turn up and play the game (contrast classic D&D, where you can play a whole session but get no meaningful XP because you don't find any treasure); and treasure comes in level-guaranteed "parcels".

I agree that this is the default 4e mode, and that the game works in that mode - although I find the whole guaranteed-treasure-parcel thing icky so I don't do that.
Personally I tend to drift 4e more Gamist/Sim by not controlling or ensuring treasure acquisition; having eg large dragon hoards that the PCs may or may not acquire, and plenty of monsters with nothing. I don't try to ensure the PCs have a certain amount of wealth, and I often use Inherent Bonuses so it matters less.

Conversely with 1e and B/X I'll award "roleplay XP" which often comes down to "turn up XP" at least for the less active players, eg I'll often default to awarding 100 XP each per hour of play, plus monster & treasure XP.

So I drift 1e & BX towards 4e and 4e towards 1e/BX. :)

Remove ads