D&D 5E B1: In Search of the Unknown (IC)

Nemaer smirks as he watches the flashy acrobatics, then ruefully shakes his head as the boisterous dwarf bellows his questions.

Stepping away from the crowd, he fades into the press of bodies. If these are to be the ones to join the expedition, they will surely need someone of his talents...clearly subtlety is not the strong suit of this group. Why be so conspicuous?

Wolf118

Explorer
Thedren nodded. "We are. The fortress holds a great many secrets, and may provide clues as to the great evil the heroes sought to eliminate on their failed expedition. The cause of the Light may be advanced by learning those secrets."

He gestured back at the inn. "We are currently taking a room over there. Would you join us at our table, so we can make plans for delving into the depths of Quasqueton?"

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OOC: Jumping ahead to the meeting with the mayor.

The next day those eager to join the expedition find themselves at the mayor's cottage. He was a modest man, not prone to flaunt his title or privilege as other lords often did. His pride and joy was his daughter, Aleena, an 11 year old girl who greets her father's guests at the door.

Her tone is formal and polite, "Good afternoon, sirs. Would you care for tea? My father will see you in the parlor."

Everyone notices Aleena staring at the Herger's holy symbol. She seems about to burst with curiosity but keeps silent and instead retires quickly to the kitchen to fetch tea.

Her father, a stately man with a salt and pepper beard and greying hair, sits comfortably in the parlor and motions for everyone to take a seat on the couches.

"I'll get straight to business, then. As you know, Rogahn and Zelligar have been declared missing and presumed deceased. As such, their holdings are now open to be claimed. I would rather their fortress not fall into the hands of humanoids or bandits and so I intend to annex it myself. But, first, it needs to be cleared of anything that might have taken up residence. Your compensation will be whatever riches you manage to salvage from the place. Also, it is rumored that Zelligar had an apprentice, a young man named Bargle. No one's seen or heard from him since his master left and I'm curious to know what fate has befallen him."

Aleena enters the parlor with a tray full of cups and begins pouring tea into them, handing the first cup to her father.

He touches her cheek softly and smiles, then gets back to business, "Do you have any questions?"

Nemaer quietly listens to the Mayor's story. His eyes occasionally roam the room, unconsciously noting exits, potential hazards, and even valuable items. Overall, however, his attention remains on the Mayor.

As Aleena moves about the room offering tea, he smiles politely and refuses.

"Will you be providing equipment and support for the expedition?"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ragnar takes the cup of tea and attempts to carefully pour the contents in small sips into his mouth. The sight of the rough and sturdy dwarf using a delicate teacup is a strange sight in and of itself, but Ragnar seems to manage fine.

"So perhaps this Bargle fellow is still around and living in the Caverns? Or do you reckon he died in there, or just left? I imagine the place would be his, if he still lives," Ragnar asks before the Mayor can answer Nemaer. The battlerager sits somewhat awkwardly on the couch, trying his best to behave like the other, more civilized folk.

"As for myself, I need little but my maul and a few trustworthy companions for this quest. Although I would not object to a little extra help, of course.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Herger

Smiling at the little girls interest, Herger follows the others into mayor's office; taking care not to stand too close to anyone.

"Lord mayor," he waves a proferred cup away. "Are there any former servants or staff from the fortress in Threshold? It would be a great boon to have knowledge of the layout of the fortress before we go in. Also, do you have any information on the potential wards that may have been left behind?"

He pauses to look around the room, trying to ascertain peoples trade from their attire. "I am not sure if any here are skilled in the art of detecting such wards so there is potential for a lot of harm to come from such artifices. Would there be any chance of getting some additional means of healing to cope with that? Scrolls? Potions? Anything along those lines would be a great asset."

Considering the size of the group he goes one, "This may take a while to achieve depending on the size of the fortress and its environs. Have you considered setting up a waystation near the fortress to keep extra supplies and a messenger to send word of our progress?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Laron listenes to all the questions, and nods his approval.

"In addition my lord, do you happen to have a map of the fortress you can share with us?"

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Bah!" Norbrit sighs. "Might as well let him go clear it for ye too, and then jus' ask him t'hand it over to ye after! Ye got yer weapons and yer wits. And ye got Norbrit Nogginsplitter to boot! That's all you'll ever need!" He offers a sly wink to the little girl, but smartly decides against trying to handle one of her fragile-looking teacups.

OOC: On a side note, I'll draw you a map and build a waystation myself if I can get you guys to stop using that blue font color! It's doing horribly untoward things to my old and decrepit eyes. ;)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The Lord Mayor replies, "This is a modest town. We barely have enough arms to equip a meager militia in case of attack. You will need to provide your own gear, I'm afraid. As for Bargle, I doubt he still lives. He also doesn't have a valid claim to his master's holdings. A wizard may certainly declare an apprentice as heir but there is no record of Zelligar having done so."

He pauses a moment to savor a sip of tea before continuing, "Rogahn and Zelligar were very private men, which is why their fortress is so far from civilization. As far as I know, they either took all of their servants with them on their last expedition or else those who were left behind have died. There's no one here in town with any knowledge of the place. Unfortunately, that means there are no maps, either. Zelligar was known to be a trifle paranoid."

Aleena starts clearing away the empty cups as her father stands, "I leave the details of the journey in your capable hands, then. Know that there will be a celebration in your honor should you return successful."

Skarsgard

Explorer
Herger

Frowning slightly at the Mayors comments, Herger says. "I have all I think I will need and even if I didn't, precious little coin to buy anything else with? I have enough food for a tenday, so hopefully that is enough though I may be able to hunt some fresh rations on the way."

"As we don't know each other very well, may I suggest each of us briefly mentions what their roles may be? As I mentioned I am a archer and a healer and as such prefer to sit back a bit from the action."

Remove ads