• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies and Wet-Nurses: A Conversation

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Do you have a very specific thing in mind here for an instance?

I fail to see how the war and the child are at adds with one another. Our cause can only be to win the war?
As I've been trying to tell you, they're not.

THE ONLY REASON this is an issue is because despite the fact that they are NOT in conflict, Archon has already chosen one over the other in case they ever come INTO conflict.

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
There could still be lots of things to do- magic we have, teleports, illusions, kill the minion, and many more..... I would choice to have both the war won and the child live.
Then you haven't broken the oath. If Archon did THAT, it would not be a problem.

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
That's the point we're trying to make is that - if it was situational... like, you'd have to think before you made the decision... you haven't broken the oath...

But - right now - if you put the child at the TIPPY TOP of the list of your priorities... the child always, always, always comes before the cause... that's an Oath breaker.
Precisely.

AIM-54

First Post
Whew, lot's going on. I'm going to try and lay out my thoughts here in a semi-coherent manner.

1)The #1 goal is Tain's defeat. The war is paramount. If we lose, it doesn't matter if Jaine has 1, 100 or 0 heirs. Anything that takes away from bringing about victory is dangerous. It is not worth it to sacrific the Circle AND IT'S MISSION, for the life of a child, even if it is the heir. If we lose Jaine, it certainly makes the politics more difficult, but defeat at Tain/Mordred's hands is even worse.

2)My main problem with Archon's stance is the possibility that he's carting around this kid while we're on some longterm mission and that out of our desire to save the innocent kids life, we make choices that are not optimal to achieving our #1 goal: the successful conclusion of the war against Tain.

3) No matter Archon's stance on expectations on whether we "take arrows" for the child...if the child is there, we will take arrows for it...and that can distract us from defeating our foes and that, ultimately, is among the worst things that can happen. It is not fair for Archon to push this unwanted burden on the Circle by fiat. Indeed, if he's so anxious to protect the child, the best option is simply to leave him behind with it, while the rest of the Circle takes care of business. If it comes down to that, Kaereth would rather see that, than worrying about the health and well-being of the child while on a three month jaunt to X to defeat/capture/find out Y.

We need to determine exactly when this conversation is happening... Pregnancy of a PC adventurer will, I believe, work as such: 3-4 months of adventuring time before needing to retire to be "with child" until 1 month after the birth... so, that's about 6 months without Xath...

This conversation, I thought, was happening at the beginning of the montage... which would mean that Xath is - at current - unable to adventure... however, that's up for debate....

The_Universe

First Post
We need to determine exactly when this conversation is happening... Pregnancy of a PC adventurer will, I believe, work as such: 3-4 months of adventuring time before needing to retire to be "with child" until 1 month after the birth... so, that's about 6 months without Xath...

This conversation, I thought, was happening at the beginning of the montage... which would mean that Xath is - at current - unable to adventure... however, that's up for debate....
There's a definite time period while she is pregnant where traditional adventuring would be very risky. About 6-7 months. Even horseback riding can prove dangerous at that point, and the kind of combat you get into would be much MORE dangerous. A stray bowshot could end the life of the child before it was born. Even take-the-pain cannot protect the child indefinitely.

I'm not sure how much of that time will be off camera and how much on, as of so far.

Laurel

First Post
The current IC convo to this point- includes part of hallway scene

Attachments

• Meeting with Circle and Dara the Possible Nursemaid.doc
    68 KB · Views: 101

Dr. Awkward said:
If I were an adventurer who had to raise a child, I'd just summon a celestial through lesser planar binding and see what they wanted for a few years of nanny service. They'd get the opportunity to raise a child in accordance with whatever alignment ideals I happened to summon, plus some kind of quest on my part. I get a child raised by an Exalted nursemaid who will do everything in their power to make sure the kid grows up healthy, well-adjusted, and kind.

So - no way saying this is actually what should happen, but I read this and had an awesome movie-type picture that exploded into my brain...

I think this is a very, very cool idea that should be explored, if not for Jaine's child, for Xath's... could also make for a cool quest for Xath to undertake - despite the dangers of pregnancy - in order to be sure her child is not raised in the midst of a violent and dangerous war... as the Circle is off doing something, Xath sits alone in her room with a scroll to summon a Planar Ally and goes off on some quest suggested by that Ally as payment for X years as Nanny Planar Ally.

*shrugs* It's probably stupid, but it looked really cool in my head.

The_Universe

First Post
So - no way saying this is actually what should happen, but I read this and had an awesome movie-type picture that exploded into my brain...

I think this is a very, very cool idea that should be explored, if not for Jaine's child, for Xath's... could also make for a cool quest for Xath to undertake - despite the dangers of pregnancy - in order to be sure her child is not raised in the midst of a violent and dangerous war... as the Circle is off doing something, Xath sits alone in her room with a scroll to summon a Planar Ally and goes off on some quest suggested by that Ally as payment for X years as Nanny Planar Ally.

*shrugs* It's probably stupid, but it looked really cool in my head.
No, that's a good idea, and probably does obviate the need for a combat-ready nursemaid. Any woman would do, at that point, because you'd have a friggin' angel filling in while mom and dad are busy.

Remove ads