• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies and Wet-Nurses: A Conversation

Laurel

First Post
This is what we pleadged

"I, name, pledge my eternal loyalty and alliance to the Circle of the Phoenix. I will allow nothing to stand in our way. I pledge to protect the Circle and the Kingdom from the forces of evil. I will lay down my life for their safety. I will stand as one in a Circle of friendship, in a Circle that stands as one. Through this, we will protect the kingdom. To this I pledge my soul."

We are to the point where we could be fighting the fight to kill Mordred... wouldn't that just be the perfect moment for one of Mordred's/Tain's minions to capture that baby and hold them hostage?

Imagine, if you can, being placed in that situation... and, in that situation, what comes first?

Laurel said:
"I, name, pledge my eternal loyalty and alliance to the Circle of the Phoenix. I will allow nothing to stand in our way. I pledge to protect the Circle and the Kingdom from the forces of evil. I will lay down my life for their safety. I will stand as one in a Circle of friendship, in a Circle that stands as one. Through this, we will protect the kingdom. To this I pledge my soul."
We have to remember that we are protecting a "Kingdom" that cannot exist if we lose this war.

Laurel

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
We are to the point where we could be fighting the fight to kill Mordred... wouldn't that just be the perfect moment for one of Mordred's/Tain's minions to capture that baby and hold them hostage?

Imagine, if you can, being placed in that situation... and, in that situation, what comes first?
Except honestly I can not see a time when the entire war will hinge on us killing or letting the kid die. Our options are one or the other, and there is no other choice.

Laurel said:
Except honestly I can not see a time when the entire war will hinge on us killing or letting the kid die. Our options are one or the other, and there is no other choice.
Well, my guess would be - purely Meta - that if Kennon is making such a big deal about it - it is a possibility.

Laurel

First Post

There could still be lots of things to do- magic we have, teleports, illusions, kill the minion, and many more..... I would choice to have both the war won and the child live.

Laurel

First Post
Well, my guess would be - purely Meta - that if Kennon is making such a big deal about it - it is a possibility.
Then I guess we have to see when it happens and find out if another option could not be found. Until the child is a large part of the kingdom and her life there is important to the circle. Currently at this point the child and the war are not at odds, so unless someone IC is thinking about the what if's and worst cases of pitting somehow the ENTIRE hope of the war against that of the life of the child it's not an issue as of yet.

AA may be thinking through all that, in which case he gets to have fun or figuring out oath breaking or not, but honestly this is not a train of thought L'Aurel would be having and so honestly at this point wouldn't know.

That's the point we're trying to make is that - if it was situational... like, you'd have to think before you made the decision... you haven't broken the oath...

But - right now - if you put the child at the TIPPY TOP of the list of your priorities... the child always, always, always comes before the cause... that's an Oath breaker.

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
I don't know what the future holds so I can't say. But at this point, yes the child is more important the circle.

Our cause is not just the destruction of Tain, our whole starting point was to get rid of Tain and place Jaine or the correct and justified blood person on the throne. That is still our cause. The child is to be hidden unless Jaine and the other child die, so the child is still a part of the cause even if only to us. Maybe more so to us since we are the only ones who know what she actually represents.

There are many things that could change that status in the future, but so long as Jaine and her only public heir are more important then the circle so does this child retain that right.

From the way I see it.
The cause, by the terms of the oath, is bigger than Jaine and her line. She is important, but if you can win the war only without her, the oath would bind you to choose victory over her.

Remove ads