• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies/Pregnancy (not AA & Jaine kid related)

Laurel

First Post
Redoing the thread that I had started as babies- this one not about AA & Jaine’s kid (s)—we have enough centered on the different aspects of that situation. Here we are discussing possible pregnancy and any PC issues/throws/chances/consequences/whatnot of that.

I am going to add some from the other thread that actual had to deal with this J

Laurel

First Post
The Amastatians view:
The_Universe said:
The Amastacia was not particularly a hussy before she joined the heroes of the last age. She grew up in a monastery in what is know Citadel Refuge, tutored by monks of an order known as the Lighted Path. They had rejected the gods of the day (Aon, Oberon, etc.) as actual Gods, and much of their philosophy clearly influenced the way that she and the Apecto gave form to the current Church of the Light.

However, it is well documented that the Amastacia preferred to be naked (or nearly so) in all but the most dangerous conditions (such as combat) and thus while the record would suggest that she was faithful to Link Woodshadow, she was apparently not shy about letting others see the "goods."

If she had previous lovers, they are not mentioned in anything written by the woman herself, or in anythiong written about her. However, as her life is not well documented before the age of 19, anything is possible.

As for babies and combat, the Amastacia did not write extensively on the subject, as it was unlikely to be a concern for an average follower. That being said, it is well known that her first child was with Link when the Amastacia was killed - and he was, if not in active combat, at least participating in some aspect of the war against the Bluestar. While Caer Melyn was far from the front, it was still a dangerous place in her time. Though her second child was assumed to have been killed in the combat that took the Amastacia's life (you now know that's not true) the doctrine that emerged after her death did not condemn the placement of the child.

In short, during a war, you do the best you can. No where is really safe in a place where teleporting is possible, so you do your best, and if something goes wrong, you pray to the Light to help you deliver justice against those who would harm a child. The Woodshadowan addendum to that would be something along the lines of "when you're done praying, you go deliver justice yourself

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
Also, as a general note on babies and the possibilities thereof, for the most part male/female physiology is the same across the humanoid species, which helps explain why (at the very least) humans, elves, and orcs can all interbreed so easily. Which, as a general rule, means the basic body processes are pretty much the same. As a result, the female characters are all reasonably aware of when in the average 28-day cycle she would be more or less likely to get pregnant, assuming that birth control is not being used.

So, for those of you whose characters this may be an issue for, are you:
1) trying to get pregnant
2) trying not to get pregnant
3) not trying one way or the other

It makes a difference as for how many times (and at what place in the chart) I have to roll.
Secondarily (I think I've mentioned this before) for all intents and purposes, humanoid pregnancies last for 8-10 months. Though the BoEF would suggest otherwise, the prevalence of half races practically requires that the timelines for embryonic growth be roughly similar.
Births are live, as well. Orcs don't hatch eggs, or whatever, or anything like that. As for birth control other than the ring of regeneration existing: as of the moment it does not. However, as the forgotten realms does have certain concoctions that do essentially the same thing as the "morning after" pill, I might be willing to entertain the possibility of a talented herbalist, alchemist, or apothecary creating something similar upon request.
#3 please as she is not actively going one way or the other
Also from long ago when L'Aurel found a journal (copied I would assume) of the amastatian and on her life in general what did it say of her fighting and babies, and loving before hubby and such? Really don't need detailed info unless you want to spend the time on it, but I'm sure you have better things or more pressing questions just within KOA
As for L'Aurel's actions.... well daily outfit is Amastatian, and she can be seen going and coming out of men's rooms, but she's not one to kiss and tell. So anything is speculation IC

Xath said:
Xath and Archonus are not married yet. They decided to wait until after the babies were born because they want to be married in Sylvannus, and not all parties could attend while under the influence of the "Queen's Prediciment." Xath is not taking precautions (neither is she trying to get pregnant). I'm under the assumption that because the gestation period is the same, it must be much more difficult for elves to become pregnant as opposed to humans. Otherwise elves would completely dominate the continent. Something has to keep their population down. So I would assume that Xath's likelyhood of becomeing preggers is considerably less than Justice or L'Aurel should they not be taking precautions. But sure, Kennon could be rolling. I have no idea.

Xath

Moder-gator
Here's one option from the Complete Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Obviously, some of these aspects are not considered in our game.

1st Stage

- Check for mood swings at 55% chance.
- Check for morning sickness (20%).
- Lower constitution by 1 because of increased fatigue.

2nd Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 65% chance.
- Check for morning sickness (25%).
- Lower constitution by an additional 1 for a total of -2 to constitution
because of increased fatigue.
- Increase in urination output.

3rd Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 75% chance.
- Check for morning sickness (30%).
- Danger during spell-casting.
- Increase in urination output.

4th Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 45% chance.
- Check for morning sickness (10%).
- Noticeable weight gain. Increase weight appropriate to race.
- Food cravings: Friends may be sent on wild treks to find exotic food to
curb the pregnant women's cravings.
- Lower dexterity by 1 due to loss of agility.
- Thief skills Climb and Move Silently suffer a -5%.
- +5% chance of spell failure due to discomfort.

5th Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 35% chance.
- Check for morning sickness (05%).
- Weight gain. Increase weight appropriate to race.
- Food cravings.
- Lower dexterity by an additional 1 for a total of -2 to dexterity because
of lack of agility.
- Thief skills Climb and Move Silently suffer an additional -5%.
- +1d6% chance of spell failure due to discomfort.

6th Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 25% chance.
- Weight gain. Increase weight appropriate to race. Adjustment to armor
size is likely and probably expensive.
- Food cravings.
- Lower dexterity by an additional 1 for a total of -3 to dexterity because
of lack of agility.
- Thief skills Climb and Move Silently suffer an added -1d10%.
- +1d6% chance of spell failure due to discomfort.

7th Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 35% chance.
- Check for backache.
- Lower dexterity by an additional 1 for a total of -4 to dexterity because
of lack of agility.
- Speed cut by half. Must rest triple the normal amount of times.
- +1d6+6% chance of spell failure due to discomfort and lack of
concentration.

8th Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 45% chance.
- Check for backache.
- Lower dexterity by an additional 1 for a total of -5 to dexterity because
of lack of agility.
- +2d6+3% chance of spell failure due to discomfort and lack of
concentration.

9th Stage

- Check for mood swings for this stage at 55% chance.
- Check for backache.
- Lower dexterity by an additional 1 for a total of -6 to dexterity because
of lack of agility.
- +3d6+2% chance of spell failure due to discomfort and lack of
concentration.
- Develops nesting habits (i.e. desire to make a warm, cozy home and prefer
not to go anywhere).

Xath

Moder-gator
The Book of Erotic Fantasy spares a small sidebar for dealing with pregnancy.

First Trimester: nothing
Second Trimester: Movement reduced by 1/4 (round down), -2 penalty to Dex
Third Trimester: Movement reduced bu 1/2, -4 penalty to Dex, -2 Penalty to Str.

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
The Book of Erotic Fantasy spares a small sidebar for dealing with pregnancy.
All of these detail the effect on the woman who is pregnant - I'm apt to let most of them apply.

The problem is that they don't have anything to do with the child itself, which is why not hanging out on the battlefield at 6 months pregnant is a bad idea.

When pregnant, a mother is *more* likely to survive almost anything you throw at her. But the child may not. THAT's the problem.

Remove ads