• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies/Pregnancy (not AA & Jaine kid related)

Laurel

First Post
Here's one that I tend to agree with from the other thread:

[font=Times New Roman said:
Plansdragon[/font]]I'd say, "yes" to using status to monitor the child's health, but only after the first month. During pregnancy, any crtical hit or reduction of more than 50% of the mother's HP would result in a chance for a miscarriage -- I'd say make it a DC 20 fortitude save, made by the mother.

And I am trying to find it, but I saw this stated elsewhere.....

Laurel

First Post
Another grouping from the other thread on the kid:

1.Would the child get to make saves of thier own?
2.How does target spells like baleful polymorph work?
3.What about flesh to stone? baby remains unstoned dies without mother turning back quick enough?
4.Could someone target the baby? What would it's saves be?
5.Mothers are said to 'feel' thier children while in the womb. They know when something is wrong- is there a big bonus for any skill check the mother does on the kid?

[font=Verdana said:
Sejs[/font]]I would personally say that until born, both child and mother are treated as a single entity - that of the mother. You polymorph one, they both get polymorphed. You petrify one, they both get petrified. However, I'd also run it if that the mother has to make a fort save, pass or fail, she'd have to make an additional fort save at a flat DC (say 15, or so) or the child does not survive the experience.
[font=Verdana said:
Jmucchiello[/font]]1.Only if specifically targetted. I would say only divinations would be able to target the child since most other spells require line of sight to the target and the child has full cover.
The child otherwise would be treated as a held object for other saving throws (esp reflex saves).

2.This one is ugly. Choose either: the baby is likewise polymorphed and the mother will give birth in the new form as a creature of that form; OR the baby is expelled (with no damage to either target) during the transformation and may or may not be able to survive outside the mother. The answer to this and the next question depends on how you view similar situations with swallowed whole targets. See below....

3.I would have the baby fail automatically and if a break enchantment or stone to flesh restores the mother, then the baby is automatically restored as well.
The same applies to swallowed whole creatures. They should fail any fortitude save the swallowing creature fails. Doing it this way eliminates a lot of kooky exceptions and circumstances. Do you really want to have to guess how much is available inside the stomach of the Purple Worm after it is turned to stone? Or how many inches of stone the party has to cut through to find the swallowed companion? Yuck.

4.See above. I would give the baby an average CON equal the number of months in utero (scaled to the human 9 months for other races) and figure Fort based on the CON modifier. A fetus cannot make Reflex saves. Its Will save would be -5 since its Wisdom is no more than 1 until it attains more self-awareness at 3 post-utero months old. Any resistance bonuses possessed by the mother apply to the baby.

5.When applicable, I'd give a +4 circumstance bonus to a mother's sense motive checks. But I would also give the baby a +2 aid another bonus to all skill checks (even against mom) since her instinct is to help the baby.

If we counted the child and Jaine as one being for the labor stuff, then I think while the baby is growing they are also counted as one being- only one throw that mother provides for both.

Laurel

First Post
Are we going with the histoical cave man days when women ran around till labor? Not saying it is a good idea, just possible.....

Laurel said:
Are we going with the histoical cave man days when women ran around till labor? Not saying it is a good idea, just possible.....
Xath has about 3-4 months of safe adventuring and can probably back in action a month after she gives birth.

Xath

Moder-gator
To clarify, Xath would most likely be fine adventuring up until she gives birth. It's the baby that would start having risks after 4 months.

And I believe it's just combat adventuring we're talking about. It's not as though she'll be bedridden. She'll still be able to manage her growing network and go on diplomatic missions.

Xath said:
To clarify, Xath would most likely be fine adventuring up until she gives birth. It's the baby that would start having risks after 4 months.

And I believe it's just combat adventuring we're talking about. It's not as though she'll be bedridden. She'll still be able to manage her growing network and go on diplomatic missions.
Well - being pregnant will also significantly effect Xath, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms... Her cha may go up, but her strength and ability to anything mildly tiring would become minimal...

*shrugs* Not a big deal, just the rules that Kennon set down when Liz thought Justice may become pregnant - and they won't even effect us that much as we have the ability to sort of gloss over those 7 or 8 months, anyway.

Indeed, she will still be able to do her diplomatic stuff and manage the spy network, but fighting is probably not such a good idea as it puts the baby in heaps and heaps of danger.

Also - can the baby suck up spells from inside the womb? (that's probably something we've discussed before, but I don't remember the answer). If so, there is a whole different sent of possible consequences to adventuring and traveling that needs to be explored...

Laurel

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
*shrugs* Not a big deal, just the rules that Kennon set down when Liz thought Justice may become pregnant - and they won't even effect us that much as we have the ability to sort of gloss over those 7 or 8 months, anyway....
Well, we are already five months down in the Xath pregnancy (If she knows at four months she's had the kid for a while- she wouldn't know the next morning), so really it would only have to be max 6 months.

And so far as I have read Kennon hasn't made any final on baby or mother stats or penalties. Which was part of the reason for this thread- to find out what those penalties and stats and bonus' would be for mom and baby.

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:

Right. That's about how I see it. Nothing too strenuous for the last 2/3 of the pregnancy.

Queen_Doppelpopolis said:
Also - can the baby suck up spells from inside the womb? (that's probably something we've discussed before, but I don't remember the answer). If so, there is a whole different sent of possible consequences to adventuring and traveling that needs to be explored...
It depends on if this child is marked. If it's not, it can't. If it is, it has a 25% chance of being able to suck up spells.

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Well, we are already five months down in the Xath pregnancy (If she knows at four months she's had the kid for a while- she wouldn't know the next morning), so really it would only have to be max 6 months.

And so far as I have read Kennon hasn't made any final on baby or mother stats or penalties. Which was part of the reason for this thread- to find out what those penalties and stats and bonus' would be for mom and baby.
I want to get past the next part of the adventure before I decide what the stats for pregnancy are. Once that's done, I'll put some serious thought into it. But, as of the moment, the baby isn't providing any serious hindrance, so it's not going effect her stats in any serious way. Of course, if she gets stabbed in the lower torso or something, we may have a problem. But, apart from that, no penalties or benefits SO FAR.

Laurel said:

Just restating what I know to be the case with Justice... nothing final has been laid down, but there has been a lot of disucssion about the ability to adventure and alignment issues (a good character can't adventure when it poses a significant threat to the child).

Is there a way - other than Commune - to find out if the child will be marked?

Remove ads