• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies

Laurel

First Post
Figured since we had the room and this may become a pertanent subject figured I would start this :)

So how does chance decide.....

Last edited:

Well - I think Justice/Liz has made her views on the baby situation very well know... but, in case you forgot...

I think that having the child travel with us is a very, very bad idea. For some reason, I seem to be alone in my opinion... but, not a big deal because, as I have said in the past, not much I can do about what Archonus decides to do with his new born child...

However - I will say - if the child is born at a time when we are still in battle... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't take that child from its mothers womb and into the battlefield. It needs a stable environment and a wet nurse (since I don't think formula has been invented, yet)... so, baby should probably not come out with the Circle until it can eat some form of solid food (even if it is just mush).

... either that or we need an NPC wet nurse to travel with us.

Laurel

First Post
The Archonus decision has been made as it is his choice. From the story side I think it will be great, as it gives Kennon so much more to tamper, toy and general mess with. But it will also just be a really cool IC point that will effect the entire circle.

Though it will undoubtly come up again and again as situations progress, this was more started since three female members of the circle are having relations that could result in a child and only one wears a ring a rejuvination.

So as Kennon rolls the dice I thought it may help to have one place for all this.

Last edited:

Laurel said:
The Archonus decision has been made as it is his choice. From the story side I think it will be great, as it gives Kennon so much more to tamper, toy and general mess with. But it will also just be a really cool IC point that will effect the entire circle.

Though it will undoubtly come up again and again as situations progress, this was more started since three female members of the circle are having relations that could result in a child and only one wears a ring a rejuvination.

So as Kennon rolls the dice I thought it may help to have one place for all this.
The Ring of Regeneration is a handy, handy thing.... I just had a really funny flast to the espisode of Friends when Rachel and Monica are fighting over a single condom... all of the women of KoA fighting over the Ring of Regeneration....

Very, very funny.

Anyway - the baby will be interesting, no doubt. I look forward to hearing what Archonus decides to do with the child for the first few months of life...

The_Universe

First Post
I have to dig up the old link I found on family planning without artificial birth control.

I suppose I should also....*shudder*....take a look at the BoEF.

The_Universe

First Post
Also, as a general note on babies and the possibilities thereof, for the most part male/female physiology is the same across the humanoid species, which helps explain why (at the very least) humans, elves, and orcs can all interbreed so easily. Which, as a general rule, means the basic body processes are pretty much the same.

As a result, the female characters are all reasonably aware of when in the average 28-day cycle she would be more or less likely to get pregnant, assuming that birth control is not being used.

So, for those of you whose characters this may be an issue for, are you:

1) trying to get pregnant
2) trying not to get pregnant
3) not trying one way or the other

It makes a difference as for how many times (and at what place in the chart) I have to roll.

Secondarily (I think I've mentioned this before) for all intents and purposes, humanoid pregnancies last for 8-10 months. Though the BoEF would suggest otherwise, the prevalence of half races practically requires that the timelines for embryonic growth be roughly similar.

Births are live, as well. Orcs don't hatch eggs, or whatever, or anything like that.

As for birth control other than the ring of regeneration existing: as of the moment it does not. However, as the forgotten realms does have certain concoctions that do essentially the same thing as the "morning after" pill, I might be willing to entertain the possibility of a talented herbalist, alchemist, or apothecary creating something similar upon request.

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
So, for those of you whose characters this may be an issue for, are you:

1) trying to get pregnant
2) trying not to get pregnant
3) not trying one way or the other
#3 please as she is not actively going one way or the other

The_Universe said:
As for birth control other than the ring of regeneration existing: as of the moment it does not. However, as the forgotten realms does have certain concoctions that do essentially the same thing as the "morning after" pill, I might be willing to entertain the possibility of a talented herbalist, alchemist, or apothecary creating something similar upon request.
What is the amastatian order's views on these types of things? Do they just live with whatever happens knowing the light decided what will come or do they practice the above when loving all thier patrons?

Also from long ago when L'Aurel found a journal (copied I would assume) of the amastatian and on her life in general what did it say of her fighting and babies, and loving before hubby and such? Really don't need detailed info unless you want to spend the time on it, but I'm sure you have better things or more pressing questions just within KOA :):):):)

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
The Ring of Regeneration is a handy, handy thing.... I just had a really funny flast to the espisode of Friends when Rachel and Monica are fighting over a single condom... all of the women of KoA fighting over the Ring of Regeneration....
It does cost 90,000 gp, and does make for an akward though humorus scene. Rok papers scissors anyone :)

Since Xath and Arhconus have been sharing a room for a while it can probably be assumed they are getting it on.... but unless they state something IC we don't knowas they still aren't married yet! :p

As for L'Aurel's actions.... well daily outfit is Amastatian, and she can be seen going and coming out of men's rooms, but she's not one to kiss and tell. So anything is speculation IC :)

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
#3 please as she is not actively going one way or the other
Cool.

What is the amastatian order's views on these types of things? Do they just live with whatever happens knowing the light decided what will come or do they practice the above when loving all thier patrons?
At the very least, there are efforts on the parts of both Amastacian Priests and Priestesses, before they're married, to avoid pregnancy. While the church has no official stance on the concoctions I mentioned above, it's official representatives are encouraged to seek other means to avoid children. The Fellowship of the Amastacia does believe strongly in family, but it is highly concentrated on full families - you're not expected to have children until *after* you're married. While the fellowship does not actively look down on single parent families (rare though they are), they'd definitely encourage a single father to take a wife ASAP, and a single mother to take a husband with the same speed.

So, in short, an unmarried priest or priestess of the order would be well within his or her rights to seek to avoid pregnancy - the morning after drinks would be a possibility, but definitely not the preferred means.

Also from long ago when L'Aurel found a journal (copied I would assume) of the amastatian and on her life in general what did it say of her fighting and babies, and loving before hubby and such? Really don't need detailed info unless you want to spend the time on it, but I'm sure you have better things or more pressing questions just within KOA :):):):)
The Amastacia was not particularly a hussy before she joined the heroes of the last age. She grew up in a monastery in what is know Citadel Refuge, tutored by monks of an order known as the Lighted Path. They had rejected the gods of the day (Aon, Oberon, etc.) as actual Gods, and much of their philosophy clearly influenced the way that she and the Apecto gave form to the current Church of the Light.

However, it is well documented that the Amastacia preferred to be naked (or nearly so) in all but the most dangerous conditions (such as combat) and thus while the record would suggest that she was faithful to Link Woodshadow, she was apparently not shy about letting others see the "goods."

If she had previous lovers, they are not mentioned in anything written by the woman herself, or in anythiong written about her. However, as her life is not well documented before the age of 19, anything is possible.

As for babies and combat, the Amastacia did not write extensively on the subject, as it was unlikely to be a concern for an average follower. That being said, it is well known that her first child was with Link when the Amastacia was killed - and he was, if not in active combat, at least participating in some aspect of the war against the Bluestar. While Caer Melyn was far from the front, it was still a dangerous place in her time. Though her second child was assumed to have been killed in the combat that took the Amastacia's life (you now know that's not true) the doctrine that emerged after her death did not condemn the placement of the child.

In short, during a war, you do the best you can. No where is really safe in a place where teleporting is possible, so you do your best, and if something goes wrong, you pray to the Light to help you deliver justice against those who would harm a child. The Woodshadowan addendum to that would be something along the lines of "when you're done praying, you go deliver justice yourself."

Remove ads