• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back at long last

Wyvern

Explorer
I apologize for my long absence. There are several reasons for it: first off, after writing three chapters in as many months, I frankly felt kind of burned out on the whole thing. Secondly, I've had many other things to occupy my attention over the summer. Lastly, I didn't feel like digesting such a large chunk of aerial combat rules (which was never the part that I was most interested in, even though it forms the core of the project). However, out of a sense of obligation, I finally buckled down to it this past couple of weeks, and I have many questions, comments and quibbles on what you've come up with.

I'm most impressed with the work you've done in my absence, and I eagerly await seeing your completed vehicle design rules. (I'm sure I'll have lots of ideas for components to add.) Your dedication to this project puts me to shame. Also, I'm most impressed with barsoomcore's contribution; he wrote a much better introduction than I could have (my "Key Concepts" chapter was intended more to lay groundwork for us to build on than to introduce it to new readers anyway).

Now, as I mentioned, I have a lot to say about what you've written so far. This is going to become a very long post, but I don't really see any point in breaking it up into chunks. (You needn't read it all in one sitting, of course.) Some of the questions I have about your alpha rules aren't applicable to barsoomcore's revised draft, so I'll pass over them until such a time as they become relevant again.

-------------------

Note that while a vessel may have more than one set of controls, during each round it may have only one pilot.
I recall some mention being made at one point of rules for co-pilots. How about adding a rule that a co-pilot can use a move-equivalent action to make a cooperative Pilot check, given a second set of controls?

A flying creature automatically has ranks in Piloting equal to its Maneuverability rating...
Is this going to be replaced with a flat bonus? If so, I should point out that the racial bonus to Climb and Swim checks is +8, not +10 (MM p. 7). If you want it to be graded by maneuverability, I'd suggest a bonus equal to *twice* the M.R.

Vehicles: The pilot of a vessel is whoever is currently at the controls. A vessel may have more than one set of controls...
You need to change "vessel" to "vehicle" in these two sentences to avoid confusion.

Note that a vehicle, unlike a creature, cannot run or take a double move action.
How about adding a stunt called "Push it to the Limit" or something like that, which allows you to go above the maximum speed? Perhaps this could be contingent on having certain types of vessels, or certain components such as booster rockets.

The pilot (should that be different from the creature itself) cannot make the creature go faster by taking two steer a vessel actions.
I think this sentence is unnecessary, since you've already stated that "The pilot of a creature is *always* the creature itself" (my emphasis).

No single turn or slide may exceed the vessel's Max Turn rating, and all turns and slides combined may not exceed the vessel's Total Turn rating.
I would add to the end of this sentence: ", unless the pilot uses a Hard Turn stunt.

Each vehicle also has a Maximum Ability Bonus, which determines the highest ability bonus that may be applied to Piloting skill checks made in that vehicle, the vehicle's armour class and reflex saves.
Am I right in understanding that this rule is now gone? If not, how is the max. bonus determined: by size, maneuverability, or engine type? Also, is this meant to imply that vehicles which use Wis for Pilot checks also use it for AC and Reflex saves?

Note that in a gravity environment, a vessel gains a +1 circumstance bonus to any attack rolls made against an opponent at a lower altitude.
What's the rationale for this? I mean, it makes sense for archers firing from atop a hill to get a bonus, but not so much sense in a low-orbital dogfight using laser cannons. What about guided missiles? Do *they* get a bonus to hit if fired from a higher altitude?

A collision check is a Piloting skill check made against DC 10, modified by the other object's size modifier.
How is the size modifier determined? If you just take the AC/attack mod from the chart, larger objects are going to have a *lower* DC. Did you mean to use the *inverse* of that number (i.e. positive becomes negative and vice versa)?

If there is more than one object in the square, the DM should determined randomly which object the pilot's vessel is on a collision course with.
Shouldn't you add the size mods for all objects in the square to the collision check to represent the greater difficulty of avoiding multiple objects? Of course, if some objects have negative size modifiers, this logic breaks down. Maybe you should use the highest size mod, plus one for every additional object in the square.

If the target object is a vessel, the pilot of that vessel may make [a] collision check of his own.
Does this require the pilot to use an action? Should it?

Refer to the Vessel Size chart in Chapter One to determine collision damage.
What if a Huge vessel hits a Tiny one? Is the damage the same for both? I don't think it should be; rather, I think damage should be determined by the size class of what you hit (or were hit by). If you use the same damage for both vessels, you get illogical results. If the damage is determined by the smaller of the two, a Tiny vessel takes no more damage from hitting a Huge vessel than another Tiny one. If the larger of the two, a Huge vessel takes as much damage from hitting a Tiny vessel as another Huge one.

The colliding vessel gets no saving throw.
I think that, unless the vessel is out of control or deliberately ramming the other vessel, it should get a saving throw too. This represents the pilot desperately trying to minimize the damage by turning the vessel so it impacts at a less-vulnerable point. This shouldn't come for free, though; it would require at least a move-equivalent action, and possibly a stunt. (I'd advise against the latter, though, because a collision involves enough dice rolls as it is.)

If a collision occurs head-on between two moving vessels (that is, the struck vessel moved at least one square last round)...
This is ambiguous. What if the struck vessel was moving *away* from the one that struck it? Then it's a rear-end collision, not a head-on one. I think you should specify that the struck vessel moved towards the striker (within a 45 degree angle).

If the collision occurs with the ground or a ground-based object, all damage is tripled.
So what's the size modifier for the ground?

Spiraling: When a vessel with a fails to travel its Minimum Speed...
With a what? Did you mean to type "with a Minimum Speed"? If so, I think you can just cut that and say "When a vessel fails to travel its Minimum Speed..."

...it begins to spiral. Such a vessel is plunging earthward at great speed.
I agree with BlackJaw's idea of replacing "spiral" with "plummet" or somesuch. "Spiral" just doesn't fit when describing a vessel falling headfirst towards the ground.

If she rolls less than 20 but more than 10, her vessel will turn only 135 degrees on this turn. If she rolls less than 10 her vessel will turn only 90 degrees.
I'm a bit befuddled by your calculations here. When you say that the vessel turns only 90 degrees on a roll of less than 10, that's *in addition to* the 90-degree turn she already made, right? Since her Max Turn is 90 degrees and her Total Turn is 180 (less 90), she can make another 90-degree turn with no penalty. So far, so good. And the DC for a 135-degree turn would be 10 (+5 for exceeding the Max Turn, and +5 for exceeding the Total Turn). This agrees with what you said too. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I can follow your math when I break it down like this, but it's not intuitive that, for instance, there's no difference between a roll of 11 and a roll of 19. I don't know what to suggest as a solution, though. Maybe you just need to explain it in a bit more detail.

[Dive Attack] does not make use of the Turn Modifier.
Shouldn't more maneuverable vessels have an easier time pulling off a dive attack?

If instead of a gremlin on the wing, it had been a NPC secured with a rope and grappling hook, the check would have been a Climb check, with bonuses for the hook and rope.
So what if they don't have a rope? Can they still make a Climb check, just without the bonus? How do you decide when to make a Climb check and when to make a Balance check? What about a sailor hanging onto the railing of a sky-galleon? Does that count as a Climb check, since it's Str-based? Or can he choose to make a Climb *or* Balance check, whichever is better? What about objects? Do they shake loose automatically?

The base DC for [Landing] is DC 20.
BlackJaw set this at 10, and you've raised it to 20, which seems a bit high to me. How about splitting the difference and making it DC 15? Ditto for Taking-Off checks: make it DC 10.

Also, I think that you should put the Landing and Taking-Off stunts next to one another.

The pilot must end his action by dropping another altitude category in order to touch down. The round after touchdown a vessel must travel its Minimum Speed in a straight line.
Am I to understand this as taking two rounds, then? One to touch down and one to stop? How does this jive with the rules for extended landings? I think it makes more sense to make landing a full-round action; touchdown at the end of the pilot's first action and then use the second action to move minimum speed.

The landing vessel touches down at the end of the last round, and must then travel its Minimum Speed in a straight line just as described above.
Is this *in addition to* the distance travelled while landing? Because if so, then the vessel really moves at least three times its minimum speed (twice in the air, once on the ground). Again, I think it would be better to say that the pilot touches down in the middle of his run. The landing check is made on touchdown, and if it's failed, the vehicles crashes right there. Otherwise it moves its minimum speed for the rest of the round(s) with no further incident unless an obstacle appears (or the pilot misjudged the length of the runway), in which case another Pilot check is needed to avoid crashing at that point.

Vessels with a Minimum Speed of zero cannot gain this bonus.
I'd be inclined to give them a flat bonus (say +5) to take-offs and landings to compensate for this lack and to reflect the fact that you're much less likely to crash if you're not moving forward at a rapid pace.

If at any point during an extended landing, the pilot changes his mind and wishes to abandon the landing attempt...
What if the pilot tries to make a pre-emptive landing earlier than planned? Is this treated as a normal landing check without the bonus, or is there an additional penalty?

Failing [a Complex Stunt] does not worsen a vessel's armor class, although it can result in loss of control.
Under what circumstances?

The Piloting skill check DC to regain control is 20.
While this makes sense if the vehicle is really "out of control", it seems too high for cases where the vehicle is simply "uncontrolled". For example: Joe Bloe is flying a tramp freighter from Earth to Saturn and gets up to take a leak. His ship has no autopilot and his co-pilot is off-duty and asleep in his bunk. Since Saturn is still three hours away, the ship just continues traveling on course in a straight line. When Captain Bloe comes back in five minutes, he shouldn't have any trouble taking over the controls again. How do you simulate this sort of situation?

Also, you haven't really covered the issue of when a vessel might lose control (during a failed dive attack, for instance), or what the consequences are of an absymal failure on a Regain Control check (e.g. plummeting).

If at any point during an extended take-off, the pilot changes his mind and wishes to lift off immediately...
What about an aborted take-off? I'd be inclined to allow it with no check so long as the pilot hasn't lifted off yet and the runway is long enough to taxi to a halt, but you should make this explicit.

-------------------

On the subject of guided weapons: I like your second idea (ranged touch attack to "lock on", Reflex save to reduce damage), but there are a few minor changes I'd suggest:

1) I think a Spot check would only be used to target guided weapons in special cases. Most guided weapons would have an inherent attack bonus.

2) The vessel's Reflex save should be modified by its armor bonus. (Armor doesn't make it harder to get a lock on a vessel, but does make it harder to damage it.)

3) Do you think that the pilot of the targeted vessel should be required to use a stunt in order to make a save? Or maybe the save is rolled automatically, but the pilot can sacrifice one of his actions for his next turn in order to add his Pilot ranks to the save. This could apply to saves vs. collisions as well as vs. guided weapons.

On vehicle construction, I think you've done a great job so far (and I like the sail/blimp idea!), though I have one minor quibble: as written, it sounds like hardness is determined by hull size instead of hull material. Surely this is just a misunderstanding on my part? The statement in question: I'll go with a "Small vessel," which would be a Gargantuan Creature by normal sizes. That's 32’-64’ feet of vehicle. This also means the vehicle has a Hardness of 15, and could have Hit Dice between 16 and 31.

Also, are you going to cover the topic of critical hits on vehicles? Or have you decided that they're immune to crits, like constructs?

-------------------

Moving on to the subject of character creation:

Wyvern did a the sections for setting use, etc and one of the things he did that I was never happy about, was bring a lot of less then useful PrCs into the setting. Even worse, those PrCs where from other people and sites and not his own work, or have all that much to do with flight.

I don't know why you're calling two prestige classes "a lot". Although I agree that the dragon knight doesn't really fit; I only included it because I think it's cool and I felt like we needed more than just one prestige class. I never did get around to e-mailing the creator, and I agree that it would be rather ungracious to co-opt his class without asking him first. I wouldn't be at all upset if you threw it out. On the other hand, the skydancer is my own invention and I think it's perfectly appropriate for inclusion in the Cosmonomicon, in the sample settings chapter if nowhere else. I don't know why you think it's so setting-specific, since it could potentially be used in any fantasy setting with flying ships (which is a large portion of our target settings).

I think that a pilot class of some kind is essential for the Cosmonomicon, but I'm not particularly attached to the Dragonstar version. You made some mention of a pilot prestige class; I'd like to see what you had in mind. As far as OGC issues go, I really do think that the parts I included are "fair use" under the OGL. Ditto for the feats. (After all, one of the stipulations of the OGL is that you have to allow other people to use some of your ideas.) If you're that worried about it, I could try to get in touch with the authors and get their permission, but I can't be bothered if you're not going to include it anyway.

I included the mechanist because it seemed like an important accompaniment to the technology rules. On the other hand, many high-tech d20 settings already have their own version on the class, which would render my version redundant. On the third hand, people using the Cosmonomicon in high-tech settings of their own design might be grateful for having access to such a class without having to purchase Dragonstar or Star Wars or make it up themselves. Again, as far as I can tell, what I wrote is not a violation of the OGL.

On the subject of the piloting skill and control feats: I admit that the system I designed is a bit limiting, but I don't know what you think would work better. There are basically only three other alternatives I can think of. One would be to have a separate Pilot skill for each different type of vehicle, but I suspect you would like that even less than requiring separate feats. The second would be to allow the Pilot skill to be used for any type of vehicle without penalty (barring tech-level penalties). This really offends my sense of realism; someone who's trained exclusively as a helicopter pilot is just not going to be able to operate an airliner with the same ease, let alone a sailboat. The third possibility is to model it on the Ride skill and have a pilot pick one "favored vehicle", suffering a penalty when piloting any other type. However, this is not really functionally different from having a single control proficiency feat under my system, only without the flexibility of being able to diversify your skill by adding more feats.

When it comes right down to it, most vehicles of a given broad type are covered by the same Simple control proficiency. The Complex control proficiency is mostly only used by specialized military or scientific vehicles, and the Exotic control proficiency is for alien vehicles or experimental prototypes. And it's not as if the system is without precedent; it's based directly on weapon proficiencies, and for much the same reason, although I varied the prerequisites and the penalties for non-proficiency for the sake of realism.

I'd like to know why you think Navigation should be a Wis-based skill. As I see it, navigating by the stars or with electronic instruments is a highly mathematical skill, and as such Int-based. Orienteering is a different skill which could be seen as either Int-based or Wis-based; it relies heavily on being aware of your surroundings, but it also makes use of maps, compasses and coordinates. Personally, I think this is what Intuit Direction should have been. Having two different Wis-based navigational skills just seems redundant to me.

You haven't said much lately about my chapter on world-design. Do you have issues with that as well which you haven't told me about, or are you planning to include it more-or-less as is? If references to Spelljammer concern you, they can easily be edited out. In fact, looking over what I wrote, there are several changes I'd like to make (but again, I'm not going to the trouble if you don't plan on using it). Incidentally, I finally came up with a question #10 for my list of 12:

10) What are the terrain and topography like? Is is flat or mountainous? Is it a barren wasteland, or covered in verdant forests? The whole planet need not be the same, of course. In fact, global ecosystems are an unscientific stereotype that you may wish to avoid in sci-fi settings, though in a more fantastic setting there's no reason they couldn't exist.

One final note: way back when I joined this project, when there were still a much greater number of participants, I offered my services as a proofreader. That offer still stands (and I promise you, I really am good at it). I made several notes as I read through your alpha draft, but I won't bother you with them until you have something more "final". When that point arrives, there are two options: I could send you an itemized list of errata, or I could make the changes myself and send you a corrected draft. The latter requires much less effort from me and hardly any from you, but it requires that you trust me to know what I'm doing. So what do you prefer? (Either way, it would be helpful to have your e-mail address.)

Wyvern

P.S. The forum link on the Cosmonomicon front page still leads to the old forum location. Could you see about updating it?

BlackJaw

First Post
He lives!

Nice to "see" you again. (ha ha, message board humor)

Yah it was a lot of rules to digest (I was nearly burnt out making them). Anyway as long as your back its good to hear from you.

I recall some mention being made at one point of rules for co-pilots. How about adding a rule that a co-pilot can use a move-equivalent action to make a cooperative Pilot check, given a second set of controls?
The co-pilot rule is the standard rule for assisted skill checks. As a standard action, you make a check againts dc 10. if you pass, you give a +2 bonus to pilot. If you have a large number of co-pilots (larger vehicles can have multipule helmsmen) this bonus can be rather large. A +10 cap might be needed (that would 1 pilot and 5 co-piots for a tottal of 6 sets of controls) and co-pilots are able to take over etc still.

(Monster pilot skills) Is this going to be replaced with a flat bonus? If so, I should point out that the racial bonus to Climb and Swim checks is +8, not +10 (MM p. 7). If you want it to be graded by maneuverability, I'd suggest a bonus equal to *twice* the M.R.
oooh your right. it should be a +8 bonus, but monsters can always take 10. I knew there was a ten in there some where.

"Vehicles: The pilot of a vessel is whoever is currently at the controls. A vessel may have more than one set of controls..."
You need to change "vessel" to "vehicle" in these two sentences to avoid confusion.
We are still trying to clean this up. Its my fault for having not written it this way to start with. Barsoomcore did great work seperating them to start with, but some things slip through.

How about adding a stunt called "Push it to the Limit" or something like that, which allows you to go above the maximum speed? Perhaps this could be contingent on having certain types of vessels, or certain components such as booster rockets.
I've been thinking about rules to let a vehicle fly faster in a strait line... kinda like running rules, and explaining this as a vehicle's normal speed is manuvering speed, but when you don't need to wory about turns and dog fighting you can fly much faster.
A stunt to go faster durring around seems like a good idea too. Makes sense.

"The pilot (should that be different from the creature itself) cannot make the creature go faster by taking two steer a vessel actions."
I think this sentence is unnecessary, since you've already stated that "The pilot of a creature is *always* the creature itself" (my emphasis).
good point.

"No single turn or slide may exceed the vessel's Max Turn rating, and all turns and slides combined may not exceed the vessel's Total Turn rating."
I would add to the end of this sentence: ", unless the pilot uses a Hard Turn stunt.
I'm not so sure about this. the movement section is what you can normaly do, but stunts let you do something more then that. then again, it is important to keep the "unless" stuff in there.

"Each vehicle also has a Maximum Ability Bonus, which determines the highest ability bonus that may be applied to Piloting skill checks made in that vehicle, the vehicle's armour class and reflex saves."
Am I right in understanding that this rule is now gone? If not, how is the max. bonus determined: by size, maneuverability, or engine type? Also, is this meant to imply that vehicles which use Wis for Pilot checks also use it for AC and Reflex saves?
Its gone. to messy. rules was based on armor and had no real purpose here.

"Note that in a gravity environment, a vessel gains a +1 circumstance bonus to any attack rolls made against an opponent at a lower altitude."
What's the rationale for this? I mean, it makes sense for archers firing from atop a hill to get a bonus, but not so much sense in a low-orbital dogfight using laser cannons. What about guided missiles? Do *they* get a bonus to hit if fired from a higher altitude?
The rule about higher altitude is some where in the PHB or DMG (I can't remember where right now) but I thought it made sense. A house mate of mine is a big combat buff, and his grand father was a fighter pilot... anyway, attacking from above is always better. part of it has to do with the difficulties in dodging (I'd have to draw you diagram or you would have to see my hand gesters.) and part of it has to do with how aircrafts are built, and part of it has to do with difficulties in seeing. (That's all the advantages OTHER then the benifits to projectiles, that he could give me real quick). basicaly its a common concept in dog fighting.

"A collision check is a Piloting skill check made against DC 10, modified by the other object's size modifier."
How is the size modifier determined? If you just take the AC/attack mod from the chart, larger objects are going to have a *lower* DC. Did you mean to use the *inverse* of that number (i.e. positive becomes negative and vice versa)?
Yah inverse, although we should really add another section to that table with them listed inverse with a special name (kinda like how the PHB does it for Grappling)

Shouldn't you add the size mods for all objects in the square to the collision check to represent the greater difficulty of avoiding multiple objects? Of course, if some objects have negative size modifiers, this logic breaks down. Maybe you should use the highest size mod, plus one for every additional object in the square.
Your right we should just add them all togeather but we still need to figure out which on they actualy hit and take damage from randomly. (it isn't nesicarily the largest one there)

If the target object is a vessel, the pilot of that vessel may make [ a ] collision check of his own.
Does this require the pilot to use an action? Should it?
I shouldn't require an action. We should put that in there as a "non-action."

What if a Huge vessel hits a Tiny one? Is the damage the same for both? I don't think it should be; rather, I think damage should be determined by the size class of what you hit (or were hit by). If you use the same damage for both vessels, you get illogical results. If the damage is determined by the smaller of the two, a Tiny vessel takes no more damage from hitting a Huge vessel than another Tiny one. If the larger of the two, a Huge vessel takes as much damage from hitting a Tiny vessel as another Huge one.
The damage listed on the chart is (should be) how much you inflict on the other vehicle, so a tiny one hitting a huge one means the tiny vehicle takes an insane amount of damage while the huge one takes almost none.

I think that, unless the vessel is out of control or deliberately ramming the other vessel, it should get a saving throw too. This represents the pilot desperately trying to minimize the damage by turning the vessel so it impacts at a less-vulnerable point. This shouldn't come for free, though; it would require at least a move-equivalent action, and possibly a stunt. (I'd advise against the latter, though, because a collision involves enough dice rolls as it is.)
hmm I thought I did write it so both vehicles got saving throws for less damage unless it was ramming. (a vehicle auto-fails if it has no pilot) hmmm now I'm getting confused.

"If a collision occurs head-on between two moving vessels (that is, the struck vessel moved at least one square last round)..."
This is ambiguous. What if the struck vessel was moving *away* from the one that struck it? Then it's a rear-end collision, not a head-on one. I think you should specify that the struck vessel moved towards the striker (within a 45 degree angle).
This is unclear, your right. the part about moving last round defines what a moving object is (so you can't get a head-on if one of the vehicles is hovering) but "head on" should be defined as when you strike the front face of hte vehicle. remember that in air combat there is facing. you vehicle has a front, sides, and back. Therefore hitting a vehicle while it is moving away from you would require flying around to hit it in the front for it to be a head on.

So what's the size modifier for the ground?
It fills up the entire "ground level" if you fall to that level or drop to in intentionly, you hit it. I think that's how we have it now in our 3d enviroment levels. Otherwise I'd classify it as a vessel colossal.

With a what? Did you mean to type "with a Minimum Speed"? If so, I think you can just cut that and say "When a vessel fails to travel its Minimum Speed..."
Yah its a typo. I think I spotted it already. (no wait I caught it but we blew a break here before I posted that time, and when I re-wrote the post I didn't mention it)

I agree with BlackJaw's idea of replacing "spiral" with "plummet" or somesuch. "Spiral" just doesn't fit when describing a vessel falling headfirst towards the ground.
I wrote spiral once because I couldn't remember the word for going down. plummet is what I was looking for but couldn't remember.

"If she rolls less than 20 but more than 10, her vessel will turn only 135 degrees on this turn. If she rolls less than 10 her vessel will turn only 90 degrees."
I'm a bit befuddled by your calculations here. When you say that the vessel turns only 90 degrees on a roll of less than 10, that's *in addition to* the 90-degree turn she already made, right? Since her Max Turn is 90 degrees and her Total Turn is 180 (less 90), she can make another 90-degree turn with no penalty. So far, so good. And the DC for a 135-degree turn would be 10 (+5 for exceeding the Max Turn, and +5 for exceeding the Total Turn). This agrees with what you said too. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I can follow your math when I break it down like this, but it's not intuitive that, for instance, there's no difference between a roll of 11 and a roll of 19. I don't know what to suggest as a solution, though. Maybe you just need to explain it in a bit more detail.
Its a new system then the one I wrote. Barsoomcore's work here. It may need some cleaning and tweaking, or just more information on how to work it, as you have mentioned.

[Dive Attack] does not make use of the Turn Modifier.
Shouldn't more maneuverable vessels have an easier time pulling off a dive attack?
Diving does really mean turning a lot. In many cases the turn modifier will be a penalty not a bonus, and so we have to ask ourselves does a less manuverable vehicle have a hard time with a dive? I figured they can do it without the penalty. Still plenty of time to change it if you feel its a better idea.

(shake lose stunt)
So what if they don't have a rope? Can they still make a Climb check, just without the bonus? How do you decide when to make a Climb check and when to make a Balance check? What about a sailor hanging onto the railing of a sky-galleon? Does that count as a Climb check, since it's Str-based? Or can he choose to make a Climb *or* Balance check, whichever is better? What about objects? Do they shake loose automatically?
If they are trying to stand up, like in combat etc, they are balence. If you are holding onto something you can make a climb check instead, (DM needs to make some decisions on their own. they are there for a reason) Objects that arn't secrued fall over. (most things on vehicles are secured... IE: already on the ground, or stored in the overhead compartment. I don't think this stunt needs TONS of rules added to it, although some clarification might a good idea.

The base DC for [Landing] is DC 20.

BlackJaw set this at 10, and you've raised it to 20, which seems a bit high to me. How about splitting the difference and making it DC 15? Ditto for Taking-Off checks: make it DC 10.
Also, I think that you should put the Landing and Taking-Off stunts next to one another.
Balencing may need to be looked at your right. also the two being close to each other isn't a bad idea, maybe even the first to listed.

The pilot must end his action by dropping another altitude category in order to touch down. The round after touchdown a vessel must travel its Minimum Speed in a straight line.
Am I to understand this as taking two rounds, then? One to touch down and one to stop? How does this jive with the rules for extended landings? I think it makes more sense to make landing a full-round action; touchdown at the end of the pilot's first action and then use the second action to move minimum speed.
yah I was thinking about this too. landing might be better as a full round action. Also we need to remeber that landing rules should work for hovering units and creatures too, so we should look at this some more.

The landing vessel touches down at the end of the last round, and must then travel its Minimum Speed in a straight line just as described above.

Is this *in addition to* the distance travelled while landing? Because if so, then the vessel really moves at least three times its minimum speed (twice in the air, once on the ground). Again, I think it would be better to say that the pilot touches down in the middle of his run. The landing check is made on touchdown, and if it's failed, the vehicles crashes right there. Otherwise it moves its minimum speed for the rest of the round(s) with no further incident unless an obstacle appears (or the pilot misjudged the length of the runway), in which case another Pilot check is needed to avoid crashing at that point.
now it looks like we have the rule written twice and slightly diffrent each time. landings still need to worked on it seems.

Vessels with a Minimum Speed of zero cannot gain this bonus.
I'd be inclined to give them a flat bonus (say +5) to take-offs and landings to compensate for this lack and to reflect the fact that you're much less likely to crash if you're not moving forward at a rapid pace.
Sounds like a good idea.

If at any point during an extended landing, the pilot changes his mind and wishes to abandon the landing attempt...
What if the pilot tries to make a pre-emptive landing earlier than planned? Is this treated as a normal landing check without the bonus, or is there an additional penalty?
pre-emptive landing? how would this work? If you go down its either a crash or a landing. Are we talking about crash landing rules? hmmm

Failing [a Complex Stunt] does not worsen a vessel's armor class, although it can result in loss of control.
Under what circumstances?
A complex stunt is when you set your own DC, then try to beat it. You pick the bonus you want then try to make the DC to earn it. If you fail that DC you have then screwed up your stunt and might end up out of control.

The Piloting skill check DC to regain control is 20.
While this makes sense if the vehicle is really "out of control", it seems too high for cases where the vehicle is simply "uncontrolled". For example: Joe Bloe is flying a tramp freighter from Earth to Saturn and gets up to take a leak. His ship has no autopilot and his co-pilot is off-duty and asleep in his bunk. Since Saturn is still three hours away, the ship just continues traveling on course in a straight line. When Captain Bloe comes back in five minutes, he shouldn't have any trouble taking over the controls again. How do you simulate this sort of situation?
This is yet another thing we have to work on.

If at any point during an extended take-off, the pilot changes his mind and wishes to lift off immediately...
What about an aborted take-off? I'd be inclined to allow it with no check so long as the pilot hasn't lifted off yet and the runway is long enough to taxi to a halt, but you should make this explicit.
As I said above, we should work on take off and landing more.

1) I think a Spot check would only be used to target guided weapons in special cases. Most guided weapons would have an inherent attack bonus.
I dunno, I'd like the system to be some what dependant on players too. keep in mind that system is supposed to be 2 stage. lock-on, then fire.

2) The vessel's Reflex save should be modified by its armor bonus. (Armor doesn't make it harder to get a lock on a vessel, but does make it harder to damage it.)
If full plate doesn't give a bonus to fireballs, then armor doesn't either. D20 concept at work.

3) Do you think that the pilot of the targeted vessel should be required to use a stunt in order to make a save? Or maybe the save is rolled automatically, but the pilot can sacrifice one of his actions for his next turn in order to add his Pilot ranks to the save. This could apply to saves vs. collisions as well as vs. guided weapons.
I dunno about this. It isn't possible to spend an action to get a save bonus in normal d20 so why do it for air combat? Do you really want Dragon's doing this?

On vehicle construction, I think you've done a great job so far (and I like the sail/blimp idea!), though I have one minor quibble: as written, it sounds like hardness is determined by hull size instead of hull material. Surely this is just a misunderstanding on my part? The statement in question: I'll go with a "Small vessel," which would be a Gargantuan Creature by normal sizes. That's 32’-64’ feet of vehicle. This also means the vehicle has a Hardness of 15, and could have Hit Dice between 16 and 31.
Oh THAT'S what I forgot. yah right now it is a base hardness, but I can fix that.

Also, are you going to cover the topic of critical hits on vehicles? Or have you decided that they're immune to crits, like constructs?
I was thinking about this. I still like the idea of a big flying machine packed with equipment (instead of a magical golem made of solid stone) taking critical hits normaly. I jsut like the idea that all the powers of the core classes are still viable in the air thus all classes are "air friendly."

---------------
now for the next part on character creation:

well I put my foot in my mouth. I was a little angry that you left us. now that your back i'm suprised as hell. that said i still was never happy with putting other people's PrCs and Core classes in this product.

BUT you are right that people will expect PrCs from us (we need some in there after all) and they will probably want the option for a pilot core class, so we should make one that works with the system we have. I'm not sure we need a engineer class. This isn't a tech book, its a flight book, and I don't want to develope a whole set of tech rules and a class to go with it. right now we are working with the concept of engineering being a Craft skill. I think that's fine and we got enough on our plate as it is. that and not all games using these book will be tech, many will be magic based and use wizards instead.

I'm not sure how to integrate piloting rules... but feats seems a bit harsh, I think we might want to have a couple of options depending on how integrated flight is in a game. high integrate means you can use the specilization system, but if you rarerly use flight rules, then pilot can work equaly for everything. more then one system should be provided I think... but I still don't know what system.

I'd like to know why you think Navigation should be a Wis-based skill. As I see it, navigating by the stars or with electronic instruments is a highly mathematical skill, and as such Int-based. Orienteering is a different skill which could be seen as either Int-based or Wis-based; it relies heavily on being aware of your surroundings, but it also makes use of maps, compasses and coordinates. Personally, I think this is what Intuit Direction should have been. Having two different Wis-based navigational skills just seems redundant to me.
I just wanted to keep the skills varried. pilot is Dex (in most cases), while engineering is Int based... so navigation seemed wisdom based to me. kinda like intutit direction... naviagation as an artform instead of a skill. Still not set on it tho.

As far as your world building chapter... its been a long time sense I read it, I don't remember most of it... and as that is most likely the last thing I had planned to work on myself... I haven't thought about it much. I don't want the spelljammer refrences in there becuase they are not OGC, and recently wizards (Hasbro) has been cracking down on that kind of thing. its safer not to mention it but hint at it all you want.

As far as proof reading: barsoomcore is doing great, when we get a complete draft it would be nice for a second proof, and then the guys at dark portal will proof that and format it to the PDF, add art etc. I trust you to make corrective changes, but content changes should not be made at that point. that point is still a ways off unfortunatly. my E-mail by the way: blackjaw@pseudolife.com. I think its listed in my messageboard profile too.

OH and feel free to post some component ideas. I'm still reworking the stuff I have as it currently is just to big, bulky, and hard to use. SOON though. I swear soon. I'm consolidating the parts into more generic parts where possible. All engines (jets, rocket boosters, ion drive, magic drives, etc are all now a single component that you can configure, advance, and masterwork. i was happy with it so I'm working that system for other things as possible, and also cleaning up what I have. Master work and advancing rules for everything and the like.)

OVERALL: nice to have you back. Sorry I said those things about you. Your right on a lot of stuff but I'm still saying your wrong on a few things you did before.

Wyvern

Explorer
Good to see that we're in agreement on most things. I'll stick to clarifying a few of my comments that apparently need it.

It fills up the entire "ground level" if you fall to that level or drop to in intentionly, you hit it. I think that's how we have it now in our 3d enviroment levels. Otherwise I'd classify it as a vessel colossal.
The main point of my question was to establish what row on the size chart you use to determine the damage from hitting the ground. I didn't know if it counted as colossal or if it had its own damage rating. On further consideration, though, I think it would be good to have some kind of stunt allowing a pilot to skim the ground. (Flying at 'low' altitude doesn't count because it doesn't incur any risk of crashing.) You might even go so far as to change the altitude rules to say that only vessels that are skimming the ground can make melee attacks against ground-based targets.

Diving does really mean turning a lot. In many cases the turn modifier will be a penalty not a bonus, and so we have to ask ourselves does a less manuverable vehicle have a hard time with a dive? I figured they can do it without the penalty. Still plenty of time to change it if you feel its a better idea.
The reason I think maneuverability should affect a diving stunt roll is because a less maneuverable vessel would have a harder time pulling up at the end of the dive.

yah I was thinking about this too. landing might be better as a full round action. Also we need to remeber that landing rules should work for hovering units and creatures too, so we should look at this some more.
Well, it makes sense that a creature capable of hovering could land as a move-equivalent action, but does it make sense for helicopters? I've never flown a helicopter so I don't know how long it takes to land one.

pre-emptive landing? how would this work? If you go down its either a crash or a landing. Are we talking about crash landing rules? hmmm
What I mean is, what happens when a pilot begins to make an extended landing, but in a subsequent round something happens (the engines catch fire, the runway is blocked, or he realizes it isn't as long as he thought it was, etc.) that makes him decide to land *right now*? What bonus or penalty does he apply to the landing attempt? Does he get a partial bonus for an extended landing? Does he get a penalty? Or is it just treated as a normal landing?

A complex stunt is when you set your own DC, then try to beat it. You pick the bonus you want then try to make the DC to earn it. If you fail that DC you have then screwed up your stunt and might end up out of control.
What I was asking is, how do you tell whether you *do* lose control? "Might" doesn't tell me anything. How much do you have to fail the DC by? Or is it another case of "you're okay as long as you beat a DC of 1"?

I just wanted to keep the skills varried. pilot is Dex (in most cases), while engineering is Int based... so navigation seemed wisdom based to me. kinda like intutit direction... naviagation as an artform instead of a skill.
Except that it's *not* an artform. At least not the kind of navigation that I'm thinking of (using a sextant, compass and star charts). You could almost make a better argument for engineering being an artform, because you're designing things. Any kind of nagivation that *is* Wis-based should be treated as an alternate interpretation of Intuit Direction (which I think was poorly-written to start with), otherwise you're creating redundant skills, which is a no-no in my book.

I'm not sure how to integrate piloting rules... but feats seems a bit harsh, I think we might want to have a couple of options depending on how integrated flight is in a game. high integrate means you can use the specilization system, but if you rarerly use flight rules, then pilot can work equaly for everything. more then one system should be provided I think... but I still don't know what system.
The thing to keep in mind is that any given campaign will probably only feature a few "types" of vehicles (in terms of the PCs actually flying them, that is), and any given person should realistically only be trained with one or two types, unless they've devoted themselves to mastering as many as possible (which is where the Pilot class comes in). Furthermore, the less important flight rules are to the setting, the less likely there will be a lot of different types of vehicles involved. That said, I think it's an excellent idea to provide a choice of different rules to use for different degrees of realism and complexity. I just ask that my rules be included as one of the options.

As far as your world building chapter... its been a long time sense I read it, I don't remember most of it... and as that is most likely the last thing I had planned to work on myself... I haven't thought about it much. I don't want the spelljammer refrences in there becuase they are not OGC, and recently wizards (Hasbro) has been cracking down on that kind of thing. its safer not to mention it but hint at it all you want.
There were only one or two references to Spelljammer in the first place, and they're easily removed. In fact, since I've been making a few changes (mostly trivial) to my world-building chapter anyway, I think I'll just upload the revised, hopefully OGL-compliant version to my webspace. I'll let you know when I do, so you can use it to replace the version you already have.

As far as the content goes, there were three main parts to it: rules for tech and magic levels, rules for environmental effects (gravity, temperature, etc.) including underwater and vacuum rules, and guidelines for creating planets. I know you're not that interested in complicated rules for using technology, but if the Cosmonomicon is to fulfill its original goal of allowing interaction between vehicles from a variety of different campaign worlds, then some kind of tech rules *are* necessary.

I trust you to make corrective changes, but content changes should not be made at that point.
Of course. At most I might make minor stylistic edits (add a word here, cut a word there) to make the text flow better. If that bothers anyone, then I could always ask permission before making such changes, but keep in mind that they wouldn't be anywhere near as major as the changes barsoomcore made to your original draft.

OH and feel free to post some component ideas.
The thing is, until I see what you've already done, it's more likely than not that anything I suggest would be something you've already covered. Also, until I see exactly how your rules work, I wouldn't be able to give stats to my ideas without running the risk of conflicting with what you've written.

Wyvern

BlackJaw

First Post
I just wrote a nice reply with lots of info... then our power break goes out before I can post it. damn old house with crap power system. who puts ALL 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on one breaker?! grrrr.

anyway, as I "said before" [the power blew] there is to much quoting in this thread so I'll just talk:

We need to do a total reworking of landing and take off rules. I had a nice nifty story about helicopters to go with this, but now I'll just say "yes they can land fast. They did it very often in veitnam, and do it today for medical emerganceie."

Sure we can use the Turn Modifier with dive attacks.

For complex stunt we either need to make it so you lose control if you fail the DC (so only set stuff you can do!) or it that seems to harsh for the stunt, it should be if you fail by 10 (or 5?)

What if we use Knowledge [Navigation], Piloting, and Craft [Engineering]? Oh and have a "new uses for old skills" thing for Int. Direction (navigation without tools)

As for skills/feats etc. Yes I think we need 2-3 options for DMs to use. In a setting where there is a lot flight, then a pilot class, and a system of vehicle feats is a great idea. In a system where PCs rarerly fly, maybe we only need skills. (kinda like how Ride works). BUT we also need to figure out how to seperate one vehicle from another. My vehicle design system (which I WILL have done by next weekend... I promise) does not have a built in way for telling a helicopter from a jet plane of similar size. I supose I could integrate a system into the engine components...

For the world building section, we'd love to see what you've got. I say remove all the classes in there (we can make our own that take better advantage of the system we've written) and remove the direct spelljammer refrences (those are not OGC).

Once we get a whole document, we'll give you a chance to clean it up. Barsoomcore is more or less doing things in chucks as they are finished. he may or may not have time to gove a "whole" document draft, but if you are willing to do so before we send it off to the guys at dark portal, I'm fine with that. If you do that in say word, if you could keep your changes in a seperate color for review latter (because I'm anal like that and will want to see what you've done. Most likely to agree with you and say you did a good job)

Vehicle construction system next weekend. I promise! I'm trying to thin it out in some places. Truthfully I'm having some trouble with the lift system right now.

Wyvern

Explorer
BlackJaw said:
I just wrote a nice reply with lots of info... then our power break goes out before I can post it. damn old house with crap power system. who puts ALL 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on one breaker?! grrrr.
Man, that stinks. I feel your pain.

We need to do a total reworking of landing and take off rules. I had a nice nifty story about helicopters to go with this, but now I'll just say "yes they can land fast. They did it very often in veitnam, and do it today for medical emerganceie."
I've got an idea: I could do a revision of the take-off and landing rules to address the "problems" I brought up, and post it here for you guys to see what you think. With luck, I should be able to get around to it within the next couple of days. (Ditto for my updated world-building rules.)

What if we use Knowledge [Navigation], Piloting, and Craft [Engineering]? Oh and have a "new uses for old skills" thing for Int. Direction (navigation without tools)
Hmmm... well, I don't like creating new skills willy-nilly when they're already covered by existing skills, but if a skill really is different from any other, you shouldn't be afraid to add it. Lumping Navigation in under the Knowledge skill just because it's Int-based doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Knowledge skill is used specifically for seeing if you can remember facts, which isn't what Navigation is about at all.

While we're on the topic of skills, there were a few others I added which I still think are relevant. Demolitions can probably be chucked out, but Computer Use is needed for operating ship computers, and Repair for fixing ship systems. Use Device is an essential part of my tech rules. Profession (sailor, astronaut, etc.) covers most aspects of ship operation aside from piloting and repairs. Then there's Signaling (which is invaluable for ship-to-ship communication) and rules for using Jump for swinging on ropes, etc. (the latter were written by someone else, so I'll e-mail the author and see if I can get permission to use them.)

BUT we also need to figure out how to seperate one vehicle from another. My vehicle design system (which I WILL have done by next weekend... I promise) does not have a built in way for telling a helicopter from a jet plane of similar size. I supose I could integrate a system into the engine components...
Well, my feat rules broke down vehicles of all types into categories which I think are clear enough that they could be used to classify vehicles on a case-by-case basis.

For the world building section, we'd love to see what you've got. I say remove all the classes in there (we can make our own that take better advantage of the system we've written) and remove the direct spelljammer refrences (those are not OGC).
The classes were in a different chapter anyway, along with the skills, feats and spells (which I still think are mostly useful).

If you do that in say word, if you could keep your changes in a seperate color for review latter (because I'm anal like that and will want to see what you've done. Most likely to agree with you and say you did a good job).
I don't have Word; I use WordPad for most things and save in rich text format. Changing font colors is too much hassle to do for every niggling little typo I correct, but I suppose I could do it for the stylistic changes.

Wyvern

Last edited:

BlackJaw

First Post
Repair (i've been calling it craft[engineering])

Navigation (needed)

Piloting (duh)

Computer Use... hmmm maybe this can go with "Use Device."? Comptuers are devices and they do have interfaces.... its not like its hacking (something we won't do in this thing)

Signalling could be a form of language...

Jumping and swinging on ropes... jump and maybe tumble uses, but yes some good solid rules might be nice. if you can get the ok, great. if not... then we may need to figure somethings out (or not include it).

Wyvern

Explorer
BlackJaw said:
Computer Use... hmmm maybe this can go with "Use Device."? Comptuers are devices and they do have interfaces.... its not like its hacking (something we won't do in this thing)
Sounds fair to me.

Signalling could be a form of language...
True, but I was thinking of it more in terms of something akin to Innuendo. Personally, I think that makes it more interesting since there's a chance of miscommunication. If there were more people involved in this project, I'd suggest putting it to a vote, but since there aren't... well, maybe we can include both options as alternate rules. I'll think about it.

Jumping and swinging on ropes... jump and maybe tumble uses, but yes some good solid rules might be nice. if you can get the ok, great. if not... then we may need to figure somethings out (or not include it).
I've just e-mailed the guy to ask permission, so let's hope he responds quickly.

On the subject of ship tonnage, which was brought up in the other thread... I wasn't suggesting that we use the *term*, I was just wondering if you'd incorporated an equivalent *concept*.

Wyvern

BlackJaw

First Post
Signaling as a skill is fine....

The more I thought about it the less I liked using "repair" as a skill name. the skill would be used for working on, making, changing, upgrading, designing, running, etc... engines and mechanics. not just repairing broken ones. Yes this is just a comment about the skill name. yes I do focus on things that much. wow, I need a life.

Ok so right now we have these skills (new):
Piloting (DEX) -> In special cases Dex is not used
Navigation (INT)
Use Device (???)
"repair" (INT)
Signaling (???)

maybe some old skills like Int. Direction, Jump, etc.

Remove ads