• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back in the DM saddle after many years. I need gaming map advice - PLEASE HELP

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
andddd not all dry erase markers can be used, MAKE sure they are water based or they will stain the map,

Yeah, keep it simple. By Expo Vis-a-Vis WET-erase markers. These are the easies to find, but even in office supply stores, you may only find black.

Just buy from Amazon. You can get large multi-color packs at a reasonable price. You can also find the larger chisel tips, which are nice to help distinguist out walls, or to color in larger areas.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
While this topic is up what would people recommend if ones preference is for dry erase markers?

The new WotC "adventure grid" is nice. It folds to any easily packable size and travels well. One side is dungeon themed and the other side is outdoors themed.

You can use wet or dry erase on it, so you don't have to be paranoid of which you have (but still beware of sharpies!!!). What is nice about supporting both is that you can use wet erase to draw on more "permanent features" and dry for more easily erasable features. For example, you may use wet to draw the walls and pillars and dry erase for furniture, spell effect areas, and the like. Running a board eraser or dry cloth will take away the dry erase, leaving the wet erase.

My only complaint is that it is not very big. It is 25x21 full squares. It extends a bit beynd the full squares on the edges, so it is a bit bigger than 25x21 inches. The standard "3 foot" chessex "battlemat" is 24" x 36" and the Chessex megamat is 34.5 x 48" (my favorit size for at-home games).

I have both. I use the Chessex at home and the Adventure Grid at the game store (easier to pack).

Notes on other options (keeping in mind your questions about Dry Erase)

Lay glass or plexiglass over a chessex mat or gaming paper. If a more permanent area, use glass. If you use plexiglass, make sure you test the dry erase markers on scrap first. Some will stain. Old, plexi glass will scratch easier and marker will be harder to errase from scratches areas.

Dungeon Tiles can be drawn on with dry erase, but I find them inconvenient to use. I bought all the dungeon tiles reincarnated sets and have some older sets and I hardly use them. But if you want a mix of larger "blank" tiles to draw on along with tiles with various features and furniture, you may want to look into them.

Remove ads