Bad advert - flashing

Quartz

Hero
ENWorld currently has an advert for ladies' dresses by Newchic. This consists of a rotation of images. Unfortunately the rotation is so fast - almost flashing - that it's annoying and distracting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That’ll be a google ad. Google shows you ads based on what it (thinks) it knows about you. I don’t have any involvement in the process.

Quartz

Hero
That’ll be a google ad. Google shows you ads based on what it (thinks) it knows about you. I don’t have any involvement in the process.

Indeed, but you earn money from showing the ad and people clicking it, don't you? So you might want to advise Google about this bad ad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can certainly email Google, but I'm not sure they'll listen to me! These ads are individualised.

(I've not seen the ad in question, because Google's info about me isn't the same as it's info about you; but it's picking something up which makes it think that's the sort of ad you want to see -- the best thing to do might be to clear the data that Google stores on you - it's going to be showing similar typos of ads you anywhere you go, not just here.)

Quartz

Hero
I can certainly email Google, but I'm not sure they'll listen to me! These ads are individualised.

Ah, I thought they were individualised to the site, not the person. Quite why they think a single male of advancing years is would be interested in such items is beyond me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah, I thought they were individualised to the site, not the person. Quite why they think a single male of advancing years is would be interested in such items is beyond me.
Algorithms aren’t perfect. Every once in a while, I get a flood of ads in Spanish.

I took a semester of Spanish in the early 1980s and eat Tex-Mex food regularly. That’s the extent of my fluency.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Google knows who I'm married to. I know that my wife likes to browse expensive houses on the internet (like we could ever afford one of them!) -- but Google constantly shows me ads for estate agents selling expensive houses.

Remove ads