Bad food and frozen candybars.

So my roommate came home from Thanksgiving with Australian candybars - Cherry Ripes, nifty little things with cherry bits and coconut shreds covered in chocolate. Tonight, while eating one, I see they say, "Best before 25-11-02."

Now, my roommate assures me they've been in a freezer for years, so they never really had a chance to go bad. And I feel fine after having eaten several. So will I die, or not? How do foods go bad, and can they if they're frozen?

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
You're going to die.

eventually.

In all seriouslness, you should be fine. Frozen candybars are good forever, in my experience. Course, I only eat 3 musketeers.

Mmmmmm.... frozen chocolatey goodness.

diaglo

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
So my roommate came home from Thanksgiving with Australian candybars - Cherry Ripes, nifty little things with cherry bits and coconut shreds covered in chocolate. Tonight, while eating one, I see they say, "Best before 25-11-02."

Now, my roommate assures me they've been in a freezer for years, so they never really had a chance to go bad. And I feel fine after having eaten several. So will I die, or not? How do foods go bad, and can they if they're frozen?

expirations are for normal use. so in the case of this food i would suspect you are okay.

in other words the expiration date is programmed for not frozen. but out at room temperature... at a store most likely. aka shelf life.

that is not to say that food doesn't go bad in freezers. esp the taste can be changed due to freezer burn. and power outtages are notorious for causing freezer food to spoil.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
On something like a candy bar, the expiration is a factor of asthetics more than anything. Beyond the expiration date, the taste and or texture are likely to change as moisture is lost and oils oxidize and separate. The dates are there because the manufacturer does not want people eating a terrible tasting six-year old candy bar and thinking that is what they all taste like.

When frozen, the "spoilage" process slows considerably, although moisture loss may happen at a faster rate depending upon the packaging and the freezer. Any microbial growth that might have occured will be severely retarded by the low temperature.

Moisture loss, oxidation and microbial growth are three of the biggest factors in food spoilage.

Remove ads