D&D 5E Bad Wrong Fun

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yes, I know dm's like that.

Are you so certain they don't exist?

I think that DMs who dictate to their players what class/race/etc they must play (outside of a brand new player) is something so rare that it's a disingenuous argument to make when arguing that players don't have the agency they want.

Which of course begs the argument, if players don't want that, to be dictated to, why would they ever play with the DM?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think part of the problem people have with X race is removed is that they are coming from it in the wrong direction. For an established setting like the forgotten realms, saying no gnomes would be valid for the player to ask "why not?". But when it comes to a homebrew world, you aren't removing anything, you're adding in the races and, perhaps, classes that fit your homebrew world. So saying there aren't any gnomes or kenku or tabaxi in this world is perfectly valid. Everything in the books is optional, especially when making your own world.

As is, with the campaign I'm currently running (kinda, covid has put it on hiatus) I just asked for no monster races because they're the bad guys. So orcs and the various goblin races were off the table for PC options. I like having a clear distinction between good and evil.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Oh and one of the things that sets of my bad wrong fun alarm, is people trying to tell others what they should do on their turn. It can be fine to help, especially if it is a new player trying to figure out what to do, but it shouldn't be a demand.

I'd probably be annoyed with a rules lawyer, but I'm happy to have someone correct something that I've missed. Had that when I first started, to much 3e was stuck in my brain.

I think that DMs who dictate to their players what class/race/etc they must play (outside of a brand new player) is something so rare that it's a disingenuous argument to make when arguing that players don't have the agency they want.

Which of course begs the argument, if players don't want that, to be dictated to, why would they ever play with the DM?
In a thread about "things you consider a bad way to play the game", how is "this type of dming is bad" begging the question?

I really don't get why you seem so offended that I don't like dm's who arbitrarily restrict player choice, and don't play with them.

Unless you're concept of badwrongfun is "when people don't like every kind of game"?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Ok. We’re fessing up without judging here I hope.

Hate the game not the player!

i don’t enjoy cheese combos at all and cannot fathom how they are fun for the player. For example, I too might enjoy a staff and shield power mechanically, but it seems so off I could never get into it.

just not a fan of loopholes and unintended power combos that are ‘off’ in terms of any pretense of possible.

I know, I know, magic. Now for hyperbole.

If I say I wield a sword in each hand, you say cool. If I say I also wield a third one with my foot you say “well, looks like RAW?”

really? That’s what we want to imagine? If you like pole arms in one hand I still like you. If you want to use a great sword in one hand (gulp) I still like you. I just REALLY don’t like what you are asking me to imagine.

G

Guest 6801328

Ok. We’re fessing up without judging here I hope.

Hate the game not the player!

i don’t enjoy cheese combos at all and cannot fathom how they are fun for the player. For example, I too might enjoy a staff and shield power mechanically, but it seems so off I could never get into it.

just not a fan of loopholes and unintended power combos that are ‘off’ in terms of any pretense of possible.

I know, I know, magic. Now for hyperbole.

If I say I wield a sword in each hand, you say cool. If I say I also wield a third one with my foot you say “well, looks like RAW?”

really? That’s what we want to imagine? If you like pole arms in one hand I still like you. If you want to use a great sword in one hand (gulp) I still like you. I just REALLY don’t like what you are asking me to imagine.

Remember the dual-shield loophole from one of the Next play tests?

Oofta

Legend
[tongue firmly in cheek]
If it's true confession time, I hate warlocks. There I said it. I think they're stupid, over-used for multiclassing and and scream "Ooh! Look at me being all edgy and dangerous with my dark pact!"

Give me a break. The moment there's a hint of sulfur in the air and the debt to the dark power coming due it all turns into "Why do you hate warlocks so much that you have to punish my PC?"

I'll tell you why, Bob. Because you aren't dark or edgy. You're an accountant. The closest you ever got to dark and edgy was a "Born to be wild" t-shirt with a penguin on it. You only want to play the guy with a dark secret and a debt that will come due some day because you know it's not really going to happen. The devil may go down to Georgia, but he's not visiting your version of Faerun any time soon. Cthullhu? Yeah, if he notices you siphoning power the world will be plunged into chaos and madness but you know that won't happen because I don't want my campaign to end.

So suck it up, Bob, and play a real PC.
[/tongue firmly in cheek]

Okay, in truth I just ban most patrons for thematic and personal preference reasons. I don't want evil PCs, I don't want a corrupting influence. In my personal experience, most warlocks have just been a couple level dip to get some kewl powers.

G

Guest 6801328

[tongue firmly in cheek]
If it's true confession time, I hate warlocks. There I said it. I think they're stupid, over-used for multiclassing and and scream "Ooh! Look at me being all edgy and dangerous with my dark pact!"

Give me a break. The moment there's a hint of sulfur in the air and the debt to the dark power coming due it all turns into "Why do you hate warlocks so much that you have to punish my PC?"

I'll tell you why, Bob. Because you aren't dark or edgy. You're an accountant. The closest you ever got to dark and edgy was a "Born to be wild" t-shirt with a penguin on it. You only want to play the guy with a dark secret and a debt that will come due some day because you know it's not really going to happen. The devil may go down to Georgia, but he's not visiting your version of Faerun any time soon. Cthullhu? Yeah, if he notices you siphoning power the world will be plunged into chaos and madness but you know that won't happen because I don't want my campaign to end.

Okay, in truth I just ban most patrons for thematic and personal preference reasons. I don't want evil PCs, I don't want a corrupting influence. In my personal experience, most warlocks have just been a couple level dip to get some kewl powers.

My last warlock was a “good witch”.

But, yeah, I hear you. Cliche MC’d warlocks keep appearing in my group, too.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
[tongue firmly in cheek]

Oh no! Say it isn’t so! Blade pacts are my favorite!

:LOL:

it’s ok! We can all have preferences! I really enjoyed my self styled “reverend“ who was an acolyte but became misguided by an angel.

OK...so he did not know it was a fallen angel...

He believes his burgeoning powers were the result of his spiritual purity and the angel was “helping“ him. Whether or not he would slide from LN to something worse was to be seen!

he preached punishment and destruction of chaos...but perhaps his guide might have been LE?

it was fun. I tried to use a lot of thee and thou. My friends thought it was a hoot!

man...somewhere there is a table cheering their leader who has a staff and shield!

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I love having to pay debts to my patron! Sometimes I specifically ask to. Of course, the group would also know so they won't wonder why I'm just removing the horns of cattle and the hearts of the seelie fey and think I'm just trying to waste time. Also, I don't want to have to ruin the pacing of the game by doing so either. But if the DM asks me to send feet paintings to my GOO patron, I don't mind one bit.

Remove ads