• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Bal, PrC] Viccorite Lifebane

Clay_More

First Post
A necromancer / rogue combo PrC, based on some feedback I got on the feats I posted earlier, of which I removed two and integrated them into this PrC. Anyways, the fluff is really short, will write more when I upload it to my wiki, but just wanted to hear something for the stats themselves.

Viccorite Lifebane
The viccorites have always been masters of both stealth and necromancy and the viccorite lifebane has been trained to take this art one step further to become a dangerous and slippery assassin.
Hit Dice: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a viccorite lifebane, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Hide 10 ranks, Move Silently 10 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast a least one Necromancy spell of 3rd level of higher
Feats: Spell Focus (Necromancy), Viccor's Wisdom
Special: Sneak Attack 2d6+

Class Skills
The viccorite lifebane's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex) and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Base Attack Bonus: Medium (as cleric)
Fort Save: Bad (as rogue)
Reflex Save: Good (as rogue)
Will Save: Good (as cleric)

Level Special Spells
1 Sneak Attack +1d6 +1 level of existing class
2 Veil of Viccor
3 Assassins's Spell +1 level of existing class
4 Arcane Boon, Glyph Strike +1 level of existing class
5 Sneak Attack +2d6
6 Stride of the Shapeless +1 level of existing class
7 Veil of Viccor +1 level of existing class
8 Veiled Strike
9 Sneak Attack +3d6 +1 level of existing class
10 Glyph Strike +1 level of existing class

Veil of Viccor (Su): At 2nd level, the viccorite lifebane learns how to use his affinity for hiding to pass between the boundaries between the visible and invisible. As a standard action, the viccorite lifebane may make a Hide check (DC 25). If he succeeds, he becomes invisible as per the spell for 10 rounds. The invisibility isn't a spell-like effect, it is a supernatural effect and can not be dispelled. At 7th level, the viccorite lifebane may choose to become incorporeal instead of invisible when using this ability by succeeding at a Hide check (DC 35). The Veil of Viccor ability can be used a number of times per day equal to the viccorite lifebane's class level plus his Intelligence Modifier. If the viccorite lifebane attempts to use the Veil of Viccor ability, but fails his Hide check, he still looses one use per day of the ability. Attacking while invisible or incorporeal will instantly end the effect. The viccorite lifebane can choose to end the effect as a free action whenever he chooses.

Assassins's Spell (Ex): At 3rd level, the viccorite lifebane learns how to combine spellcasting with his martial abilities in a more efficient manner. The viccorite lifebane can cast a spell that requires a somatic or material component even if he is wielding a weapon in both hands. Additionally, the viccorite lifebane may deliver touch spells with a melee weapon (either a melee touch attack or a normal melee attack, but not with a ranged attack).

Arcane Boon (Sl): At 4th level, the viccorite lifebane learns how to infuse his already potent skills with arcane energy. When performing a skill check for any of the skills on the viccorite lifebane's list of class skills, the viccorite lifebane may choose to sacrifice an arcane spell of 1st spell level or higher to gain a +5 circumstantial bonus to his skill check. Sacrificing a spell in this manner is a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Glyph Strike (Su): At 4th level, the viccorite lifebane learns the incredibly potent glyph strike. When performing a sneak attack, the viccorite lifebane may choose to imbue his attack with necromantic energy by sacrificing a spell and reducing the sneak attack damage of the attack. There are three types of glyph strikes.

Poison Glyph - By sacrificing a 1st level necromancy spell and reducing the extra sneak attack damage by 1d6, the viccorite lifebane can imbue his attack with poison energy. If the attack hits and causes damage, the opponent gains a poison glyph that lasts for 24 hours. If the target gathers an amount of poison glyphs equal to his Constitution Modifier +1, he dies instantly.

Disease Glyph - By sacrificing a 2nd level necromancy spell and reducing the extra sneak attack damage by 2d6, the viccorite lifebane can imbue his attack with disease energy. If the attack hits and causes damage, the opponent gains a disease glyph that lasts for 24 hours. If the target gathers an amount of disease glyphs equal to his Constitution Modifier +1, he dies instantly and his body becomes virulent for a brief moment. Anyone within 5 ft. of a target that dies from disease glyphs must succeed at a Fortitude Saving Throw (DC equal to 10 + the viccorite lifebane's class level + the viccorite lifebane's Intelligence Modifier) or gain a disease glyph.

Dark Glyph - By sacrificing a 4th level necromancy spell and reducing the extra sneak attack damage by 4d6, the viccorite lifebane can imbue his attack with dark, animating energy. If the attack hits and causes damage, the opponent gains a dark glyph that lasts for 24 hours. If the target gathers an amount of dark glyphs equal to his Constitution Modifier +1, he dies instantly. Anyone slain by dark glyphs and anyone killed with 2 or more dark glyphs on them will animate one round later as a zombie with the mirage zombie template applied to them, under the complete control of the viccorite lifebane. The viccorite lifebane can control an infinite amount of mirage zombies, but each zombie will only remain animated for 24 hours after it has been created, after which it will crumble into dust.

A glyph strike can only be performed if the viccorite lifebane is able to sacrifice both the spell and the extra sneak attack damage. It is not possible, for example, for a viccorite lifebane to perform a dark glyph strike if he only causes 3d6 points of additional damage on a sneak attack, since the dark glyph strike requires him to decrease his sneak attack damage by 4d6. Creatures which are immune to sneak attacks are also immune to glyph strike. At 10th level, the viccorite lifebane places two glyphs on his target when he performs a successful glyph strike instead of one. It is not possible to apply more than one glyph with an attack.

Stride of the Shapeless (Su): At 6th level, when the viccorite lifebane is invisible or incorporeal, his movement speed becomes doubled.

Veiled Strike (Su): At 8th level, whenever the viccorite lifebane performs a successful sneak attack or glyph strike, he may choose to use his veil of viccor ability as a free action instead of a standard action. The veil of viccor ability must be used immediately after the sneak attack or glyph strike.

Drowbane

First Post
Sneak Attack: nice spread of d6s gained.
Spellcasting: -3 levels is painful, but as long as the abilities are worth it... the PrC will be used.

Veil of Viccor - Very thematic and cool. Invisibility is rather weak (beaten by a 2nd lvl spell or a very popular Least Invocation), while incorporality is rather powerful. Have you considered Hide in Plain Sight?

Assassins's Spell - At first I thought this would let them use Assassin spells. Very cool and flavorful ability. Nothing says lovin like "necrotic-stabbity-death".

Arcane Boon - Two things here: I believe there is a set of spells in Complete Adventurer that let you do this (with a limited set of skills) for +10 bonus... as Swift. I suppose +5 is good enough since you can apply this to any of your Class skills. Also, in standard D&D, Clerics make better necromancers than Wizards... is this not true in Balmortis?

Glyph Strike - Very frickin cool... these strikes would be my reason to take the PrC. I understand why Poison Strike has no save (when 1 to 6 hits kills you), but Disease Strike does (except for perhaps, that Marsh Vipers didn't have any sort of save mechanic :D). As I understand it... a high lvl Lifebane could nail someone with several Poison strikes (its just part of a sneak attack, right?) in a single round. At if 10th lvl in the PrC could unleash... 12 in a single round (assuming BAB high enough for 3 attacks and full progression in twf...).

Stride of the Shapeless & Veiled Strike - I could make good use of these abilities, very cool

~~~

This would make for a powerful Cleric / Ninja PrC.

Last edited:

Clay_More

First Post
Hiya Drowbane, thanks for the reply!

Going to do some major revisions to the class, based on your feedback and some feedback from another guy that commented on it, so will repost it in a little while.
Veil of Viccor - Very thematic and cool. Invisibility is rather weak (beaten by a 2nd lvl spell or a very popular Least Invocation), while incorporality is rather powerful. Have you considered Hide in Plain Sight?

This is one of the abilities I'm definitely going to change, my steer away from Invisibility and over into something like you suggested, Hide in Plain Sight. Might try to keep the Incorporeal in it.

Assassins's Spell - At first I thought this would let them use Assassin spells. Very cool and flavorful ability. Nothing says lovin like "necrotic-stabbity-death".

Aye, this is almost directly copied from Daggerspell Mage, a rogue / arcane combo PrC from Complete Adventurer. It works really well with necromancy, since there's a ton of touch spells.

Arcane Boon - Two things here: I believe there is a set of spells in Complete Adventurer that let you do this (with a limited set of skills) for +10 bonus... as Swift. I suppose +5 is good enough since you can apply this to any of your Class skills. Also, in standard D&D, Clerics make better necromancers than Wizards... is this not true in Balmortis?

I'm actually trying to really make wizards on par with clerics in regards to necromancer, hence the many necromancy PrC's I post. Also got a list of Necromancy spells I "homebrewed" that has at least 5 spells per spell level.

But yeah, I think the flexibility of this ability is what makes it worthwhile, you don't have to memorize the "skill boost" spells in advance, and it works on any skill.
Glyph Strike - Very frickin cool... these strikes would be my reason to take the PrC. I understand why Poison Strike has no save (when 1 to 6 hits kills you), but Disease Strike does (except for perhaps, that Marsh Vipers didn't have any sort of save mechanic ). As I understand it... a high lvl Lifebane could nail someone with several Poison strikes (its just part of a sneak attack, right?) in a single round. At if 10th lvl in the PrC could unleash... 12 in a single round (assuming BAB high enough for 3 attacks and full progression in twf...).

Glad you like it! Even though I think I'm going to change this one a little bit to make it more Necromancy themed, probably going to change poison / disease glyphs. Poison might work with a simple renaming, while disease will get completely changed.

Stride of the Shapeless & Veiled Strike - I could make good use of these abilities, very cool

Might have to change these, since I'm changing the invisibility power, but definitely going to keep them as close to what they are now as possible since they work quite well.

Anyways, thanks alot for the reply, I'll probably repost in a few days when I get it sorted out, working on another PrC atm!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads