Balancing D&D

CapnZapp

Legend
My thoughts, or assumptions if you will.

Assumption: Crunch is good. I'm not interested in the feat-less game.

Assumption: the game should support all kinds of fighter configurations (spear-users, knife-throwers, staff-users, whirling dervishes, fencers-with-cape, etc). This isn't necessarily best fixed by messing with the weapons table - it's okay that some weapons are just inferior to the untrained user, if feats allow them to achieve parity. (These feats should not focus on individual weapons, since D&D demands flexibility due to magic loot; but a chosen style/flair: your character expressed through the way he or she fights. More below.) This should not be fixed with subclasses - that's way too inflexible. Way of life decisions yes; style of weapon decisions no.

Assumption: Martial characters are primarily defined by their damage output. Your job as a fighter is to kill monsters. Whatever other characteristics you might have, you shouldn't have to endure significantly worse DPR just because you chose an exotic weapon. Meaning: as long as a spear or hammer can't achieve comparable DPR, the game should not expect you to make that choice.

Problems: monsters can't cope with optimized characters. Solution: nerfing the best feats should ameliorate this to some extent.

Another solution: lower the average starting scores by 1. Not only does this narrow the gulf between PC and NPC skill scores, it means reaching 20 takes longer, making ASIs relatively more valuable than feats.

Problem: even disregarding monsters, the best combat feats are still too good, overshadowing the fighter configurations that can't benefit from them (see examples above). Solution: again, nerfing the best feats. This increases the relative attraction of other feats, which in turn increases variety, which is good in itself.

Problem: Nerfing these feats make weapon-users not good enough compared to the best cantrips (Eldritch Blast and twinned Sorcerer cantrips).

Assumption: D&D gives in too much to the "don't want my spellcaster to use crossbows or daggers" crowd. Cantrips are too good and too disruptive.

Or rather, certain casters get too much. The cantrips of druids and clerics pose no issues (except things not directly related to DPR such as spamming Guidance, which we won't be dealing with here). Warlocks are probably the least problematic, since they're so weirdly restricted in general. Compared to Wizard, the Sorcerer is too good though, since it can achieve nearly twice the DPR of Wizards (much better nova capacity).

---

So what do I envision?

• Replace the "elite array" for the "non-elite array". The 5E default is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Replace this by 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 (or rolling plain 3d6).

• Nerf GWM - maybe renaming it into Cleave and replacing the -5/+10 by "+1 Str".
  • Nerf SS - replace it with: your short and long range is each increased by a distance equal to your short range (a Shortbow becomes 160/400), +1 Dex
  • Nerf the archery fighting style: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons against targets with cover.
  • Retool CE entirely.

• PM can be kept - but make sure the DM imposes disadvantage in cramped conditions. When you're swamped by goblins, or fighting in narrow hallways, your reach and long weapon should be distinctly disadvantageous. Maybe add this as a weapon property to polearms: "if three or more adjacent squares are occupied by obstacles or enemies, attacks against adjacent enemies with this weapon are at disadvantage". (Note how this encourages you to stand behind an ally, since you're never disadvantaged when you're actually using your reach).

• Add feats to allow "repressed" fighter configurations to reach DPR parity or nearly so. For instance: add a feat that allows throwing knives to match two-weapon fighting. Add a feat that allows the spear (hammer etc) to match the one-handed sword/rapier. Add a feat that allows exotic two-handed weapons some equality.
Note: I don't mean a "Hammer feat" or a "Spear feat", since it is no fun to find an axe when youve' specialized in hammers. The feats should cover all weapons that can express a certain fighting style: the stuff-thrower, the one-handed strength user, and so on. If you take the feat that improves the warhammer, that same feat should probably benefit a battleaxe or longsword too.
Note: these feats should not merely aim for parity with best-in-class alternatives. For instance, a feat that makes a spear as good as a longsword is still not good enough - since you just spent a feat! No, the feat should bring your spear up to parity with a fighter using a longsword and a feat/ASI.

As for cantrips, actually messing with individual cantrips is far too much work. Limiting cantrips so they're no longer at-will kills many cantrips, and means dealing with the "I never want to use a sling in my life"-crowd. Besides, the actual cantrips aren't the issue - being allowed to add an ability modifier to them is the real problem.

Without the +5, Firebolt or Eldritch Blast are no longer too good in comparison to swords or bows, now that we have nerfed the best feats. So how about... just removing that?

• Remove the Agonizing Blast invocation. Or, perhaps better, allow it, but in return for the Warlock's Patron never giving access to Evocation spells. (If you build a dedicated Eldritch Blaster, that's fine, but the combo of EB and Fireball overshadows every other build)

• Restrict Elemental Affinity (Dragon Sorcerers) to non-cantrip spells. (Add similar abilities of splatbook subclasses here)

Relatively late abilities (the Evocation Wizard's Empowered Evocation) can be kept as is. With no metamagic, the Wizard isn't the problem anyway.

CapnZapp

Legend
Reserved.

The plan is to add the best style feats here :)

Ideas so far:

twf - the first and most obvious fix is to combine Defensive Duelist with Dual Wielder. Take one, get the other.

Then, is that enough, or do the level 11 TWF fighter need a little something extra still?

throwing daggers feat - out of TWF, SnB and GW, the obvious choice is to strive for TWF. Some things are absolute musts: the feat should remove the limitations imposed by loading/ammunition, and probably double your range (maybe reusing the new Sharpshooter language). Further ideas: throwing attacks made at surprised creatures gain advantage? Straight-out allow one extra attack (for free)? (When it comes to throwing heavier stuff, it's probably better to increase the damage die one step instead). Idea: dex attacks get free attack, str attacks get die increase.

What about the poor light hammers, overshadowed by daggers (dex) and throwing axes (str)? How about restricting the range increase to d4 weapons?

This gives:
Dagger (throwing star etc): dex, d4, increased range (40/80), free attack (when you take the attack action obvs).
Light hammer: str, d6, increased range (40/80)
Hand axe: str, d8, (20/60)

Btw, all magic weapons with the throwing property should probably get the Returning magical property, just like in 4E. They suck mightily otherwise.

---

One-handed strength weapons (axes, hammers etc) - ideally this lifts ALL such weapons (including the longsword). Probably should focus on the style where you fight without a shield (since the sword'n'board got Shield Master). Throw cape over, or dirt into, eyes of foe and stuff like that. Make trip attacks. Maybe even Cleave (without the +1 Str).

---

One-handed dexterity weapons (spears*). Again, ideally with this feat rapiers get a boost, but spears (etc) get a bigger boost, so with the feat you can become Brad Pitt from the Troja movie. Probably things like Thrust (gain reach) and Riposte (counterattack). Maybe include Quarterstaff here.
*) I am well aware Spears aren't finesse. That doesn't stop me from making a feat that allows you to use dex with spears. (I believe fighting with a spear should be fundamentally different than a warhammer, since spears are thrust like rapiers and not swung)

Just for funsies, allow the Trident for either feats. It sucks mightily today, but was a cool gladiatorial weapon that D&D sure could make cool again. (Overall rule: cool > realism. Besides, for the untrained combatant without the feat, realism still reigns)

Note - the split betwen str/dex is a good one, since any given character will choose one and never switch to the other (in stark contrast to the useless UA idea of a "hammer feat" and a "spear feat".

Last edited:

I don't allow the "power attack" features of GWM and SS to combo with the bonus action attacks on PAM and CBE. I added a "Close Combat Master" feat that grants a -2/+4 attack with melee weapons that don't have the two-handed property, along with a non-AoO reaction move on a critical or kill. Helps sword and board and two-weapon fighters quite a bit (mathematically, maybe a smidge too much, but it works for me). Added a Shield Brawler and Thrown Weapon Master feat. Tweaked some other feats: CBE doesn't cancel melee disadvantage, MAM grants +1 AC and no Stealth penalty (still not great), Dual Wielder also grants +1 damage with light weapons.

In short, I only have a problem with the combinations of the elite feats and the lack of support for other styles. Problem solved. I'd also note that I don't think this has anything to do with "balance" against the monsters. I can wipe the party (or give them memorable challenges) anytime I want. It's really just to rebalance different combat styles.

Add a "for us" in your title and you have my full support even though you might not care about that).
Under your assumptions your solutions sound quite proper and the fixes are good. I'd look at damage at range too. Since there is no risk firing arrows at 400ft away targets, I added a point blank range of 30ft. More than that and you don't gain dex bonus to damage. Or int or cha or anything.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Love this thread! Although I went in a totally different way.

I added a feat to every monster in the game.

Every Monster gains a free feat at 1st level and +1 feat every five levels.

Suddenly the battlefield was filled with monsters breaking the rules just like the players do and the action was amazing. Not only that but I had Players calling out feats that were overpowered"All these orcs with GWM are insane! Don't you think this feat is kinda broken?" It was GREAT!

Now I do use not just feats but rolled stats as well(and you know the strange no one ever rolls Badly) and I'm just not THAT stingy with magic so I really needed something to level the playing field a little and it has worked wonders.

If you review the different optimizing guides you find 5 main tools : SS, GWM, Sorcerers twin and quicken, Warlock agonizing blast, and Paladin smite.

Simple solution nerf them all!

Remove the -5/+10 for an ability increase.
Disallow MC with other caster classes for paladin, sorcerer and warlock.

guachi

Hero
If you eliminate the -5/+10 part of GWM you should also change the name of the feat as now the feat is just as good with any melee weapon.

Maybe call it Melee Weapon Master or Cleave or something.

Remove ads