• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Balancing incantatrix

Kimerus

First Post
Hello all!
One of my PC want to play a character 5 wizard/10 incantatrix/5 archmage. I've read a lot of discussions about the fact that the incantatrix is overpowered. We use the player's guide to faerun version, 3.5. Another PC has a dweomerkeeper, which I have weakened avoiding him to use wish without material components. It would be necessary to weaken the incantatrix too? The party is very optimized so I was thinking:
- Spell progression 9/10
- Totally remove improved metamagic (or daily uses. I don't know)
- Halve the attempts of the various sop abilities based on spellcraft. (he would have 12 attempts/day. 3+9 (int. mod.)
How would it be so? Still too overpowered? Excessively weakened?

Dandu

First Post
The main abuse of Incantatrix comes from the metamagic const reduction ability, Instant Metamagic. (Though I should note that there is errata stating that it can't be used on something whose adjusted spell level you could not cast.)

Co-Operative Metamagic can also be quite powerful. If you need to nerf something, I would start with those two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads