• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Balancing our Party

Twichyboy

First Post
Hello everyone, I'm currently involved in a 3.5 game of dnd, and since we have a small party I am give the chance to create another character to balance out our party, insofar we have

Me, a Gnome paladin AC tank and a dire badger mount

A strength based Orc Archer class fighter who is our DPS

and a Dragon Shaman who does, you know I don't know way he does, but so far it's been nothing

So obviously we are missing a caster, a skill monkey, and a healer. So I was thinking Bard, but the problem with that is that our DM is out for blood, and considering all of our characters have high AC, he would only ever target the bard in combat and he would probably diets ther quickly. I know this because this is the second character I have designed for this role, and the first one died rather quickly.

so I've also been thinking a tanky favored soul would round out the role, but then we would be out a skill monkey, and bardic music, which was nice while we had it. So does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping for a melee focused character so he can hook me and my mount up with flanking bonuses, but I'm open to just about anything. Also if it helps, we are level 4

I would recommend .... play whatever you want!

The onus is on the DM to make sure the story keeps moving and not let it block because the party didn't couldn't hit a skill check.

Twichyboy

First Post
I normally agree with the play whatever you want doctrine, hence the fact I'm playing a Gnome Paladin, but this character won't have a player really behind him, specifically because he Is only being created to balance the party, the DM is going to have most roleplaying control over him

Greenfield

Adventurer
Go with the Bard, but have him play true support role, as in following well behind, dropping to the back when combat hits, etc. There's an awful lot he can do while Invisible, for example.

I mean seriously, where would a grand Paladin like Sir Robin be without his minstrels?

I agree with going with the Bard. He'll be everything you want him to be and he'll be able to buff up the rest of the group. Keep him back as a true support character and give him ways to move faster (feats/gear/spells) or avoid getting hit so that he isn't in danger too often.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
rogue 1/archivist x; rogue gives you trapfinding while your archivist can handle healing and buffing, whilst having enough skill points to keep search relevant.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'd suggest a Druid. You cover the Caster and Healer roles easy.
As for skillmonkey, you get a bunch of scouting related skills and the social skill Diplomacy built in. For the Rogue-y skills you may need to get a little more creative with spells. Consider This Thread for suggestions.
Gaining the equivalent of a Fighter for the party out of the Animal Companion is just icing.

Last edited:

Belzbet

First Post
You could always go rouge with a super high Use magic device check, skill focus and synergy can help at lower leels (or splash some rogue and druid for the casting ans skills, but rogue/bard combo may be self-defeating)... excellent skill monkey (of course) support caster (not as useful as bard in this role since bard gets UMD as well) and support healer (again not as useful as a bard but better skills)... at high levels UMD gets easy when activating wands and scrolls.... Although I think a bard or cleric or druid is great and maybe a better fit (I love bards... and the rogue idea doesnt solve your AC problem so... also if you want a power house go full caster not bard... one level of rogue gives you access to rogue skills as class skills)...

Last edited:

Remove ads