• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baleful Polymorph

STARP_President

First Post
If I cast baleful polymorph on someone, turn him into a frog, and then put him in an antimagic field does he turn back into a person? I know he would if I used a simple polymorph but the duration for baleful polymorph is listed as 'permanent' and I'm not sure how that works.

Olive

Explorer
STARP_President said:
If I cast baleful polymorph on someone, turn him into a frog, and then put him in an antimagic field does he turn back into a person? I know he would if I used a simple polymorph but the duration for baleful polymorph is listed as 'permanent' and I'm not sure how that works.

Yes he would. If it was duration: instaneous' then he wouldn't.

shilsen

Adventurer
What Olive said. A duration of "permanent" means that the magic is in effect permanently, unless dispelled or suppressed (as happens in an antimagic field) in some way. A duration of "instantaneous" means that the magic created its effect and has ended, so it cannot be dispelled or suppressed.

Note that when the person leaves the antimagic field he turns back into a frog.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Suggestions for Baleful Polymorph?

My necrotheurge has picked up baleful polymorph. Last session, I used it to transform a fairly nasty rogue into a porpoise, which I thought was pretty clever. (It's a small creature, and since it can breathe air, the new form isn't fatal to the target, so no +4 to the saving throw.)

Any other suggestions for clever uses of the spell, preferably without incurring the +4 to saves?

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Here's a related question.

So my elven druid died and was reincarnated as a half-elf-hobgoblin. Not being terribly keen on this (her elven heretige is very important to her) she'd like to pay someone for a "Polymoph any object" to get her back into an elven body. What situations could turn her back to her now-natural gobliny form? I know an antimagic field would supress the spell, but only while she was inside it, so no big deal. Is this something that can be permanently dispelled? Also, do I lose the racial modifiers of the halfhobgoblin? It's hitting my wisdom, and that's pretty shaky for a druid!

ARandomGod

First Post
MonkeyDragon said:
Here's a related question.

So my elven druid died and was reincarnated as a half-elf-hobgoblin. Not being terribly keen on this (her elven heretige is very important to her) she'd like to pay someone for a "Polymoph any object" to get her back into an elven body. What situations could turn her back to her now-natural gobliny form? I know an antimagic field would supress the spell, but only while she was inside it, so no big deal. Is this something that can be permanently dispelled? Also, do I lose the racial modifiers of the halfhobgoblin? It's hitting my wisdom, and that's pretty shaky for a druid!

You lose the physical racial mods of your old form and gain the physical racial mods of your new form with the reincarnate spell.

You keep your old mental stats includingracial mods, and do not gain new mental racial mods.

Jeff Wilder said:
Any other suggestions for clever uses of the spell, preferably without incurring the +4 to saves?

I was going to suggest turn into slug then apply salt, but the spell specifies "small or smaller animal" and I guess a slug would be "vermin" in D&D :( .

So how about a kiwi? Small, flightless, and doesn't even have a pointy beak :D . Don't know how fast they move though.

Or if you're in a typical dungeon, with stone or wooden floors, how about a mole?

Banshee16

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
My necrotheurge has picked up baleful polymorph. Last session, I used it to transform a fairly nasty rogue into a porpoise, which I thought was pretty clever. (It's a small creature, and since it can breathe air, the new form isn't fatal to the target, so no +4 to the saving throw.)

A porpoise is a fairly small creature? When's the last time you've been to Sea World? :)

I'm pretty sure they're like 6' long or so...

In any case, it's an interesting idea.

Turning someone into a turtle is always a good idea. I mean, no natural weapons, and it's not like they're going to run away. Or, better, yet, a three toed sloth :)

Personally, I really dislike the new spell, compared to the old Polymorph Other. It can't be used to turn someone into a donkey or a horse, or a cow anymore, for instance, since all the forms created are supposed to be "Small" size....toads, pigeons, ducks, chickens, lizards, mice, etc. etc. Seems like the spell was ruined in order to keep people from permanently getting the abilities of a fire giant, for their fighters, for instance.

But, that's another topic.

Isn't the porpoise a form that would result in death? Although they can breath air, they can't live on land.....so it might not kill the victim immediately, but it would within 1, 2, or 3 hours, kind of deal.

Banshee

Remove ads