• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Chilliwack did pretty well in MTV’s battle of the bands contest. Got signed. Never did get much popularity outside of their native Canada.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Zebra. Thought these guys were going to be huge. But it wasn’t to be. They had a few solid albums, but never got a lot of traction after their first single:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
David + David had a debut album many of the people I was hanging with should have been in contention for album of the year. It wasn’t. The two studio musicians then parted ways for the most part. They reunited to do some good stuff for Sheryl Crow.

Baerwald tried his hand at doing his own stuff again, with a damn good solo album.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Jane Child…

Her first single was in heavy rotation when I got BRUTALLY shot down asking for a date. How heavy? I went running errands with my roomie an hour later and it came on the radio. I changed the channel. It came on a few seconds later. I changed to a third channel. It came on; I turned off the radio. My roomie said, “The universe hates you.”

This was off the second album. Again, got significant play, but no commercial success. More than a decade later, she released a third album. Nothing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wendy & Lisa, aka Girl Brothers- what a duo!

They were protégés of Prince, and appear in several of his early videos. They had a couple of moderately successful albums, but never really had a breakthrough. However, like a lot of talented musicians, they have been in demand for soundtrack/scoring for TV and film.

Side note: music is in Wendy’s blood: dad Mike Melvoin was a pianist and member of studio musicians known as The Wrecking Crew, brother Jonathan Melvoin was a touring keyboardist with the Smashing Pumpkins, and her twin sister is singer and composer Susannah Melvoin.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Chameleon? Prog rock band with Yanni?
I remember that MTV video. As I recall, Basement Tapes was what broke Chilliwack and/or Zebra in the USA. The story reminds me a little bit of how Vangelis got his big break.

He started of in Aphrodite’s Child, a prog band started with members of his family. Their song “The Four Horsemen” from the double album 666: The Number of the Beast is a staple for “deep cut“ classic rock stations, and you can clearly hear traces of his unmistakeable style.

Note: Portions of this song were “sampled“ without credit by The Verve on the same album that gave us “Bittersweet Symphony”.

Last edited:

Remove ads