• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bands with hit singles that were not hit singles

Ryujin

Legend
The previous comments about Chilliwack made me wonder if Americans also missed out on Strange Advance; a group from Vancouver, British Columbia. This was their biggest song up here but they also did a song called "Nor Crystal Tears" that is based on one of my favourite SciFi books, by Alan Dean Foster.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
New to me!

After looking at the video, I did a little research:

1) they’re baaaaaack!

2) the keyboardist looked familiar. I don’t see him having any major breakthroughs to give me that impression, EXCEPT he worked on SEVERAL Aerosmith albums (so he might have been in the background of some videos), He also worked for Yes as a keyboard tech, so it’s unlikely he’s on film playing with them.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"We Run" was the other big single from their first album and got a lot of mainstream airplay in Canada.

Yeah, they’d have fit into a playlist on some of the stations I liked back in the mid 1980s. I wonder why they didn’t get more airplay down here.

Ryujin

Legend
New to me!

After looking at the video, I did a little research:

1) they’re baaaaaack!

2) the keyboardist looked familiar. I don’t see him having any major breakthroughs to give me that impression, EXCEPT he worked on SEVERAL Aerosmith albums (so he might have been in the background of some videos), He also worked for Yes as a keyboard tech, so it’s unlikely he’s on film playing with them.
A few bits of trivia: I saw them, on two successive nights, when they played in Toronto shortly after the first album was released ('85?). They were virtually studio perfect, while playing on the rotating stage at The Forum, at Ontario Place (the area that stood in for the deserted buildings in ST:SNW episode "Ghosts of Illyria"). There was a reason for this. The group wasn't prepared for their overnight success and the tour was organized in days. They had to put together a backup band for the tour and hired on a bunch of well known session musicians, resulting in an almost studio sounding performance.

A while back I saw that they had toured recently, or at least played some venues out west.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Chilliwack did pretty well in MTV’s battle of the bands contest. Got signed. Never did get much popularity outside of their native Canada.
Zebra. Thought these guys were going to be huge. But it wasn’t to be. They had a few solid albums, but never got a lot of traction after their first single:
Back in the early 1980s after I saw them on MTV, I looked around for both of their albums but could not find them here in Virginia. I had to have them special ordered. I picked up some other Zebra albums later.
They were protégés of Prince, and appear in several of his early videos. They had a couple of moderately successful albums, but never really had a breakthrough. However, like a lot of talented musicians, they have been in demand for soundtrack/scoring for TV and film.
They did more than appear in videos, they were in The Revolution with Prince for a time and contributed to Purple Rain, IIRC. As for soundtrack work, I have their beautiful soundtrack to the Heroes TV show.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They did more than appear in videos, they were in The Revolution with Prince for a time and contributed to Purple Rain, IIRC. As for soundtrack work, I have their beautiful soundtrack to the Heroes TV show.
Sorry I was unclear- I was just trying to point out where people could get a visual reference for them! I think their repeated and almost FEATURED slew of appearances in his vids is a sign of how important they were to The Revolution, and thus, Prince’s sound at the time.

Because there’s no question Prince valued them highly- possibly more so than several others who were in his orbit. They worked for him for several albums, and he used his pull to help them navigate the biz.

Zardnaar

Legend
Megadeth rereleased Etc Tu Le Monde from 1994's Youthanasia on 2008 United Abominations.

Duet with Lacuna Coils Christina Scabbia.

If that sing doesn't count eg to big I don't think the titular track chartered.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ehhh…metal bands in general tend not to do all that well in terms of charting. The exceptions are usually the absolute pupinnacles of their genres. Megadeth is one of the Big Four Thrash metal bands, but Metallica is the only one that regularly charts.

Motörhead had decades of music and is one of the most respected bands in metal. They had 9 songs chart, with no #1s. The best they did was #22 for 2013’s “Aftershock”. Of the songs you might find on a “Best of” collection, only “Orgasmatron“ charted, at #157 in 1986. “Ace of Spades”? “Killed By Death”? Never charted.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads