Barbarian build question(s)

I'm building a Barbarian, and I want to make sure I am understanding things correctly.
If I spend a feat (exotic weapon proficiency: bastard sword) I can wield a Large Bastard Sword in two hands, as a Martial Two-Handed weapon. It then deals 2d8 damage (1d10 Medium weapon scales up to 2d8 for Large).
Is that all correct?

Where can I find the Furious Focus feat?

Lastly, do I round up or down when applying 1.5 my STR modifier to damage rolls?

Last edited:

1Mac

First Post
I'm building a Barbarian, and I want to make sure I am understanding things correctly.
If I spend a feat (exotic weapon proficiency: bastard sword) I can wield a Large Bastard Sword in two hands, as a Martial Two-Handed weapon. It then deals 2d8 damage (1d10 Medium weapon scales up to 2d8 for Large).
Is that all correct?
I can't see why it would. Weapons still need to be properly sized for their characters, or you take a -2 penalty to attacks. EWP: Bastard Sword lets you treat a Medium bastard sword as a one-handed weapon, if you are a Medium character. It doesn't say anything about treating a Large bastard sword as a Medium weapon.

Where can I find the Furious Focus feat?
In the Advanced Players Guide. Or, here.

Lastly, do I round up or down when applying 1.5 my STR modifier to damage rolls?
Round down. Rounding down is the default for fractions in PF unless otherwise specified.

1Mac

First Post
If you're fine with the penalty, and don't care about ever using it one-handed, then I'm not sure you need EWP at all.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Just use a Large Greatsword at that point, it's plainly better.

And no, it's not worth it. You need to compare the cost/benefit with Power Attack, which for 2H weapons gives +3 damage per -1 to hit. So the damage increase would have to be 6 on average, to make it an equal trade for the -2 attack. 2d6 greatsword goes to 3d6. Average damage goes from 7 to 10.5, a 3.5 increase. So no, it is a poor deal.

Also consider the issue of found gear. Chances are you'll find more magical medium swords than magical large swords, using what you find is cheaper than paying to upgrade (or your only option if the DM "hates magic Walmart").

N'raac

First Post
Second question;

When purchasing stats, what benefit does 17 CON and 12 DEX give? I can't see any reason to take that extra point of CON (even though I don't care about AC, at all).

An 18 CON at 4th level if that's where you plan on placing stat upgrades.

Remove ads