Barbarian3/Fighter17 Build Questions

jshDragon

First Post
I'm starting in a campaign at level 3 that I know will go to 20 (we've completed 2 campaigns in this group already so i have faith we'll get there). It looks like I'm going to be one of the 2 main "tanks" of the group and I was thinking of going with a half-orc barbarian/fighter. My initial thoughts were to go Barb 3 levels then go all fighter. This way I get rage, reckless attacks and bear totem (to make me tanky) from the barb, then I get the extra attacks, asi, and action surges from fighter. I was also planning on going with a two weapon approach, partly cuz I like it, and party cuz I'm planning on taking the champion fighter so more attacks = more chances to crit. I see a lot of posts that seems to take more barbarian, but the brutal critical doesn't seem to outweigh just having more chances to crit. Am I missing something that people like taking more levels of barbarian than fighter? Also any other thoughts on the build would be appreciated.

Obliza

Explorer
Hi, yeah I think about this build a lot.

Firstly battlemaster over champion any day of the week for me, I just find champion too dull.
As for Fighter 11/Barb 9 vs Fighter 17 Barb3 its basically feats vs the barb perks. Personally I would prefer feats.
As for armor, totem bear works in heavy armor but you don't get the +2dmg.
As for build its usually GWM Reckless x3 attacks, or Battlemaster Trip Attack.
Many other questions to ask and answer such as unarmored defence, dex build, ranged weapons.

Xanathar's brings a few things.
College of the Swords Bard + Barb seems hilarious.

If crit fishing is your goal you want to be a elf/halfelf for the triple advantance via (elven accuracy), lucky does not hurt either.
Half-Orc / in barb means when you crit you crit. Math on which is better is a little complicated.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You've done other campaigns with this group - how many encounters per day does the DM normally run? With the DMG recommended 6-8 encounters a day, 3 rages per day for Bear Totem tankiness would only cover half or less, but if your DM does less encounters per day then it gets progressively better.

Half orc's Savage Attacks gives more with two-handed weapons since it's adding an extra die. Three attacks with d12+mods and d12 bonus on your crits will do more damage then four attacks d8+mods and d8 bonus on crits unless your mods are really high. It would also allow you to go for GWM which pairs nicely with Reckless attack, doesn't reduce the number of crits at all, and turns a crit into a bonus action attack like TWF - but with a bigger damage die. Let's see, reckless attack for advantage plus champion 19-20 is about 19% chance to crit per attack. With three attacks that's about 47% chance of at least one crit - so about half the time you're still getting a bonus action attack like TWF, but all of your attacks are made with bigger dice and when you crit your racial makes that even better. Though TWF takes off sooner - I did cherry pick for your Extra Attack (2) and beyond levels.

bid

First Post
I was also planning on going with a two weapon approach, partly cuz I like it, and party cuz I'm planning on taking the champion fighter so more attacks = more chances to crit. I see a lot of posts that seems to take more barbarian, but the brutal critical doesn't seem to outweigh just having more chances to crit.
Seriously, TWF doesn't work once you reach fighter 11. Your maul friend does 6d6+15 (36) while you do 4d6+20 (34). And he has GWM/PAM for BA.

Crit-fishing lags behind BM damage until at least barbarian 9 / champion 3, and only if you go half-orc. And to keep reckless attack up, you need as many rage as you can.

My bet would be on an half-elf barbarogue with elven accuracy. Push your target down, triple-roll for that crit SA.

Remove ads