• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bards, Badass or Not

Uber Dungeon

First Post
I don't know why everyone rags on bards. my group converted from 4e to 3.5 (cuz 4e blows, well it's o.k.) like 6 or more months ago.
And one player complains every time about how he stuck as a bard and bards suck.
I'm all like the class is not just something you play, you own them. -_- he still doesn't get it.
It makes me think of the bard campaign my friends and i did in high school, It to this day was probably one of the best rule played games ever. Having a band rocks. Leader ship feat, you get a back-up singer and groupies. (did a +2 synergy bonus for backup singers, guitarist, ect.) drugs, drama, battle, stockers and Crazed fans out for blood. i miss it. Anyways, i'm interested in what other people have to say about bards they've played. And was it badass or not?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
And one player complains every time about how he stuck as a bard and bards suck.
I'm all like the class is not just something you play, you own them. -_- he still doesn't get it.
He shouldn't be forced to play something he doesn't want to play. This has nothing to do with how good or bad Bards are in any edition.

Cheers, -- N

Fajita McJones

First Post
Badass class? Or most badass class? Definitely the most badass class. I usually play martial or non-spellcasting classes, but Bards really do rock hard. With a good spell selection and even a medium amount social situations they'll really send a party into overdrive. Also, no class has ever been as much hell for our GM to deal with in our party as a Bard.

aboyd

Explorer
Uh, posting after 10 days isn't really thread necromancy, at least not here on EnWorld, where a 10 day old thread is typically still on page 1 or 2.

Regarding good bard builds, you can get your Inspire Courage up even at early levels to flat-out awesome bonus ranges. If you have access to the right books (and they're allowed by your DM) you can easily have everyone in your party at a +5 to hit and +5 to damage for all their martial attacks, even at lower levels. Your other players will love you.

I usually play my bards with the Healing Hymn alternative class feature from Complete Champion. This causes all healing spells to gain a +1 for each rank you have in your Perform skill. Most people think, "Ho hum," until you realize that if you have a +12 (let's say) to your Perform skill, a Cure Minor Wounds spell, which is zero level and usually heals only 1 point, suddenly heals 13 points. Imagine being able to do huge amounts of healing with zero-level spells. It keeps your clerics (and druids, and bards) from having to expend lots of higher spells slots, and/or magic wand charges. Note that it only uses your ranks -- not the full total including your ability bonus or other points.

Here are 4 links to threads that can help you to make good bards. Good luck!

Remove ads