Bargle Beyond the Red Box

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I only have PWAIII handy, not Joshuns, but as of that, his whereabouts were known (the Black Eagle Barony having fallen earlier), but he does get statted (he was a 17th level Wizard in that, since that is the start of the conversion from D&D to AD&D 2E)

elmuthalleth

First Post
The "hot cleric" is called Aleena Halaran , and she is the daughter of the ruler of Threshold .
She is cited in GAZ1 Grand duchy of Karameikos . The Gaz suggests to ignore the facts happened in the red box

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Thanks for all the replies. As a follow up, I thinking about picking up some .pdfs of the books you guys mentioned, but probably not all. Any recomenations? (How does the The Grand Duchy of Karameikos compare to Karameikos - Kingdom of Adventure?) I more intersted in flavor than mechanics.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
MatthewJHanson said:
Thanks for all the replies. As a follow up, I thinking about picking up some .pdfs of the books you guys mentioned, but probably not all. Any recomenations? (How does the The Grand Duchy of Karameikos compare to Karameikos - Kingdom of Adventure?) I more intersted in flavor than mechanics.

I would strongly recommend the D&D The Grand Duchy of Karameikos Gazetteer over the 2e AD&D 'Kingdom' version.

Mystara took a serious turn for the worse when TSR advanced the timeline beyond 1000 AC.

Here here! When I was a wee lad, it always bugged me that there was no way to save her.

I thought he appeared in a D&D adventure involving a circus and including cardboard cut-outs, but could be wrong.

Personally, I always try to include him as a villain in my campaigns. In 2e, he showed up as an illusionist with the worlds worst menagerie. In C&C, he showed up as the first villain the PCs encountered, in a expanded version of that original dungeon from the red box.

TheBadElf said:
Bargle needs to appear on the business end of my axe...

Seriously, I hate that guy. He killed the hot cleric and got away.

jester47

First Post
I prefer to keep him small time. The first layer of the onion so to speak. And I prefer the Red Box background to the stuff that came afterwards. I don't dig him as a battle wizard, as he seemed to be more of a intrigue type. Sort of like a D&D version of the Master.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Was this the red box with the Elmore cover that he appeared in?

Because I had the Moldvay box to start with, and I honestly don't remember seeing Bargle until the Grand Duchy Gaz.

Of course, it was twenty-plus years ago. :heh:

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Infernal Teddy said:
Then there was that article in a post 200 Dragon issue, with that magic company of his....

.. however, it was an april issue... ;)

Didn't stop me from using the items in my game. :p The arcane trickster was foolish enough to take a pamphlet from one of Bargle's salespeople (who had just been thrown out of the Friendly Local Magic Shoppe, which should've sent up a warning flag for the PC).

After taking the pamphlet, she was constantly getting flyers and coupons for specials that the company was promoting. They seemed to find her no matter where she went. Eventually, I was going to have mephits in uniforms show up to deliver jingles. Particularly when she was trying to creep up on the villain for a sneak attack. :]

Remove ads