Bargle Beyond the Red Box

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
From a thread on RPG.Net, "RPGs Go To The Movies":

Bargle2.jpg

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
I thought he appeared in a D&D adventure involving a circus and including cardboard cut-outs, but could be wrong.
I think you might be thinking of Rusak, as in AC(5?) The Revenge of Rusak.

And if there are any recent Bargle sightings, let me know.
I owe that jerk for killing the hot chick, charming my PC, and leaving me with his tab at the inn.

jester47

First Post
Byrons_Ghost said:
Was this the red box with the Elmore cover that he appeared in?

Because I had the Moldvay box to start with, and I honestly don't remember seeing Bargle until the Grand Duchy Gaz.

Of course, it was twenty-plus years ago. :heh:

Yes It was in the elmore cover box. Maybe its nostalgia, but there is somthing really cool about that and the Expert rules blue box from the same era. Companion and Master seemed over the top, but those two, just somthing neat about them.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
jester47 said:
Yes It was in the elmore cover box. Maybe its nostalgia, but there is somthing really cool about that and the Expert rules blue box from the same era. Companion and Master seemed over the top, but those two, just somthing neat about them.

Man, even in the 80s, the early adopters missed out.

At least I got free copies of B2 and X1 with my sets. After a while I'd been through Keep on the Borderlands so many times, I knew the rooms by heart. That whole "your character doesn't know what you do" concept didn't take to well at age 12, either. :p

Shadowslayer

Explorer
In the Kingdoms of Adventure set, the Black Eagle Barony had changes its name to Fort Doom. Bargle was partly responsible for many atrocities, and Fort Doom was overthrown by the Hin. As of that part of the timeline, Bargle was in hiding and was suspected of being allied to King Kol (goblin or Kobold...I forget which)

the Kingdoms of Adventure set was part of the First Quest series, and was geared at first time novice DMs....it was like a campaign setting with training wheels...there was a lot of hand-holding. If its just pure info you want, I'd go with the gazzateer, though that box set was not without its charms. I recall it had a nice map and some sorta funny handouts, such as a wanted poster for Bargle both before and after the halflings vandalized it.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Byrons_Ghost said:
Didn't stop me from using the items in my game. :p The arcane trickster was foolish enough to take a pamphlet from one of Bargle's salespeople (who had just been thrown out of the Friendly Local Magic Shoppe, which should've sent up a warning flag for the PC).

After taking the pamphlet, she was constantly getting flyers and coupons for specials that the company was promoting. They seemed to find her no matter where she went. Eventually, I was going to have mephits in uniforms show up to deliver jingles. Particularly when she was trying to creep up on the villain for a sneak attack. :]

You know, I did almost exactly the same thing... :lol:

sydbar

Explorer
I remember bargle well, was part of a group that hunted him, but he kept slipping the noose, but after the game broke up, we found out that one of our fighters was a mole working for bargle.

Remove ads