• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barnes & Noble's D&D Online Course

freebfrost

Explorer
OK, I bit the bullet and signed up for this, even though I wouldn't call myself a beginner. I'm really intrigued by this approach, though.

I'll try to post a review on EnWorld after the class, just to give my impressions of it.

It should be interesting.

JimAde

First Post
I think it's a great idea. And this whole BNU thing is way cool. How are they making money? Advertising? I'm tempted to check out the D&D course myself, but I don't think we should fill it up with people who already know the game. Kind of defeats the purpose. :)

I'm looking at the writing workshops and the Shakespearean tragedy thing, though. Sweet.

EDIT: Ah. I see how they make a little money. You have to have the "textbook" for the class, which is conveniently available for purchase via a link. That's cool.

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
Interesting idea, I was expecting the course to cost a few hundred dollars. Instead it's free.

They do have some strange "text books". I can see the PHB 3.5, but the D&D Basic game, too? Furthermore, why do you need City of Ravens?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Awesome! Cool!

I like the fact that they're trying new ways of promoting the game!

/m

reveal

Adventurer
Very cool idea. I'm going to sign up and when he asks "any questions" I'll post some I've copied from the Rules forum. Can monks take Improved Natural Attack? Is Vow of Poverty broken? Does x provoke an AoO? You know, the easy ones.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
freebfrost said:
OK, I bit the bullet and signed up for this, even though I wouldn't call myself a beginner. I'm really intrigued by this approach, though.

I'll try to post a review on EnWorld after the class, just to give my impressions of it.

It should be interesting.

So is it a self paced class (lessons posted, message board for questions), or is there a specific meeting time (webchat)? I couldn't tell from the website and was curious as to how it worked.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
reveal said:
Very cool idea. I'm going to sign up and when he asks "any questions" I'll post some I've copied from the Rules forum. Can monks take Improved Natural Attack? Is Vow of Poverty broken? Does x provoke an AoO? You know, the easy ones.

You're gonna get detention for that.

reveal

Adventurer
Thornir Alekeg said:
So is it a self paced class (lessons posted, message board for questions), or is there a specific meeting time (webchat)? I couldn't tell from the website and was curious as to how it worked.

I signed up as well (I really do think this is a cool idea) and this is what I got in e-mail:

The (BNU) Dungeons and Dragons for Beginners class in which you have enrolled is scheduled to start on 09-Jan-2006 12:00 AM EST. Listed below you'll find some important information about this course session.

1. We strongly recommend that you purchase the materials you will need before the class session begins. To help you get the best possible learning experience in (BNU) Dungeons and Dragons for Beginners, we have carefully selected the course materials. The instructor refers to these materials during the lessons, and you will need them to complete class assignments. To purchase these materials please visit the course materials page at
http://educate.barnesandnoble.com/educate/bn/home/catalog/Materials.jsp?productId=50689

2. Review the Course Overview and Outline pages for the class session.

3. You can enter your classroom starting on 09-Jan-2006 12:00 AM EST. To enter the (BNU) Dungeons and Dragons for Beginners class session, first sign in with your Barnes & Noble University Student Nickname and Password. After signing in, click Your Courses button on the left side of the page. A list of your courses will then appear. Then click on the "Go To Your Course" link below (BNU) Dungeons and Dragons for Beginners to go to the Course Overview page. From there click Enter Classroom to view the first lesson.

4. How to attend a Barnes & Noble University Class
Early in the week, enter your classroom and read the instructor's lesson and assignment. Once you complete the assignments off-line, sign back into the classroom to read other students' comments and questions and post your own. The instructor will also return to the classroom periodically to answer questions from students. The classroom sysops will help you with any support problems in the classroom.

diaglo

Adventurer
ssampier said:
Interesting idea, I was expecting the course to cost a few hundred dollars. Instead it's free.

They do have some strange "text books". I can see the PHB 3.5, but the D&D Basic game, too? Furthermore, why do you need City of Ravens?

the basic game uses the sorceror class not the wizard. City of Ravens was the intro of the sorceror to the novels.

Remove ads