• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barsoom d20 --- something is not right here

Ranger REG

Explorer
Actually, someone should contact Wishlist Games and remind them of the trademark issue.

Then again, it is possible that they've already made contact with the Estate for the use of the trademark, but honestly I don't think so. In general it varies among different IP owners. Some will let you use it, some prefer payment or concession for the use if their IPs.

JPL

Adventurer
REG, you're right. I'll contact Wish List immediately.

[Edit] Done. I linked them back to this page, so perhaps someone from Wish List will address these concerns directly.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Re: Re: Hawkshere is right on.

bwgwl said:
not true. Frank Baum's Oz books went out of copyright and into public domain sometime in the 1950s (1956 or 1959, can't specifically recall).

i think the "cut-off" date is a bit later than that.

You are correct there. I remember that the WWII era was the benchmark for something regarding copyright and public domain, though. It must be that nothing created AFTER WWII has entered public domain.

Eric Anondson

Voneth

First Post
One extending the copyright laws, I am of a mixed mind. If it benifits the creator and his hier, great. If it just means that a publishing house can squeeze the IP dry after his death and run the dignity of the concept for a quick buck, I am not so hot on it.

I swear, it seems more people are more anxious to work with your ideas when you are dead or have no input than when they can work with you.

Lizard

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Hawkshere is right on.

Eric Anondson said:

You are correct there. I remember that the WWII era was the benchmark for something regarding copyright and public domain, though. It must be that nothing created AFTER WWII has entered public domain.

Eric Anondson

Steamboat Willie was released in ,I think, 1927.

That is the effective cut-off date for the public domain. While a few later works slipped into the public domain by accident (such as the actual stories of HP Lovecraft, though 'Cthulhu' remains an active trademark), when you had to actually renew copyright, for the most part, the period of copyright will extend by twenty years whenever 'Steamboat Willie' is within 2-3 years of entering the public domain.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Voneth said:
One extending the copyright laws, I am of a mixed mind. If it benifits the creator and his hier, great. If it just means that a publishing house can squeeze the IP dry after his death and run the dignity of the concept for a quick buck, I am not so hot on it.

I swear, it seems more people are more anxious to work with your ideas when you are dead or have no input than when they can work with you.

You mean like Star Trek?

commando cody

First Post
burroughs game

I have heard of this game, and thought all the things everyone is thinking...... then one day as i was reading mail on the burroughs email list i am on this guy posts for playtesters........ i tried to volunteer, so i could see what the game was like for my group of gamers i am in.... somewhere the guy got cross, or something happened in his reading of my email to him and he got the idea i wanted to edit his game..........so needless to say after several emails he couldnt understand i was just responding to his email request to play the game, since i am a burroughs fan, and have even illustrated some of his book reprints....... anyway i didnt get to see the game and cut off all contact, since i couldnt make him understand......

JPL

Adventurer
He should've had you do some art -- you're good, and your style would be perfect for the subject matter.

Hmm. Wish List still hasn't gotten back to me.

Is it appropriate to bring this matter to the EGB estate's attention? Better to get a cease-and-desist letter now than after all of the books are printed...

teitan

Legend
Copyright extends to Author's death plus 75 years as per the Bono act. Trademark is another story altogether and it is weird in that what is public domain here is not PD over there (being amorphous on purpose) and in some cases things are partially PD. Doc Savage stories as PD, he is not etc. The best example of how confusing this all is is the Aleister Crowley estate. ANYTHING before 1912 is Public DOmain, but between 1909 and 1914 AC published a periodical called the Equinox and yes, half of it is PD and the other half is not, and there are serialized elements in the book that may or may not be PD. Then there is his bankruptcy and what happened to his copyrights. gets more complicated in that even the post 1912 works are haphazardly in PD or not depending on whether they were published privately or publically etc.

Just one example of weirdness...

Jason

commando cody

First Post
JPL -
thanks, i would have liked doing the art for a john carter / mars game......and again thanks for visiting my site and looking around.......

i am going to attend the Dum-Dum (burroughs convention in louisville ky) over the weekend of labor day this year , so i will bring up the subject....many of the people there are connected with burroughs inc. and sometimes even danton burroughs shows up to talk with all the fans......
and thanks again

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads