• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baseball discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostwind

First Post
[OT] Dork Tower Sums Up the Cubs Experience Nicely

In case you haven't read this yet, the new Dork Tower says it all perfectly regarding the loss of the Cubs once again.... :)

Guess it's time to root for the Red Sox...

KnowTheToe

First Post
The question is with 2 East Coast teams, how do you think the ratings for the WS will be?

Anybody else think there are too many playoff games? By the end of this seceond round for the Cubs, I just couldn't care anymore. I wanted them to win, but I can really only emotionally attach myself to so many games. I wish they had best of 3, best of 5 and best of 7 for the WS.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
the yankees are one thing. their "slump" rarely lasts longer than a decade, and then they win yet another world series. ;)

the cubs were another thing altogether. they hadn't won in so long (even longer than the red sox, who still have a chance if they don't blow it), that many fans were waiting for this season their entire lives! it's hard to understand such a crushing disappointment if you don't come from that mindset.

of course, i'm not a cubs fan though. ;) i was just rooting for my hometown team when they're doing well, just like i rooted for the white sox when they made the playoffs in 2000. of course, the white sox did far worse then than the cubs did this year. :p

Last edited:

Ghostwind

First Post
Personally, I prefer the payoff system of the NFL. One game. You either win it or your season is done. Never have cared for the multiple game format that the other three major sports uses (baseball, NBA, NHL).

mooby

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
The question is with 2 East Coast teams, how do you think the ratings for the WS will be?

If it's the Red Sox, the ratings will be a lot higher than if it's the Yankees.

Outside of Yankee fans, nobody wants to see that damn team again.

GO SAWXXX!

Storminator

First Post
Ghostwind said:
Personally, I prefer the payoff system of the NFL. One game. You either win it or your season is done. Never have cared for the multiple game format that the other three major sports uses (baseball, NBA, NHL).

It only works in football. The other sports play far too many games for a single game to be meaningful. And a lot of the dynamics of baseball are screwy if you only play one game.

PS

stevelabny

Explorer
john... although andy hawkins pitching a no-hitter and losing 4-0 IS embarassing, the absolute WORST momemnt was when bobby meachum AND dale berra were both thrown out at home. meachum was out by a mile and barrelled into carlton fisk, so dale berra decided to try to score too. unfortunately dale berra is about as fast as i am. carlton fisk had no idea what was going on and tagged berra out too. UGH.

and you absolutely can blame dusty baker for this loss. i predicted 8 pages ago that the cubs pitchers, most notably prior would hit the wall in the world series. they didnt even make it that far. prior had a 10 run lead in game 2 and should have been taken out EARLY. and wasnt. prior goes into the 8th inning in game 6 and not only is he still pitching, but there isnt even someone warning up just in case. dusty is a bad in-game manager. it is never good to be afraid of your bullpen.

torre has acted overly afraid of his bullpen for the last 3 years also. overworking mariano definately was a problem in 2000. but at least you know WHY torre is scared, he is spoiled by getting 2 inning saves from mariano and always hopes he can get away with that.

Maraxle

First Post
stevelabny said:
and you absolutely can blame dusty baker for this loss. i predicted 8 pages ago that the cubs pitchers, most notably prior would hit the wall in the world series. they didnt even make it that far. prior had a 10 run lead in game 2 and should have been taken out EARLY. and wasnt. prior goes into the 8th inning in game 6 and not only is he still pitching, but there isnt even someone warning up just in case. dusty is a bad in-game manager. it is never good to be afraid of your bullpen.

I agree with this statement completely. In the 7th inning of game 6, you could see that Prior's pitches had less movement on them than the previous innings. He was very clearly getting tired, and Dusty made no move to even have someone warming up. He shouldn't have even been in there when the 8th inning started.

I know that Prior's a big strong kid, and has nearly flawless mechanics, but with the number of pitches per game that he threw this year I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go down with an arm injury next season. If so, the Cubs are a sub-.500 team next season.

John Crichton

First Post
stevelabny said:
john... although andy hawkins pitching a no-hitter and losing 4-0 IS embarassing, the absolute WORST momemnt was when bobby meachum AND dale berra were both thrown out at home. meachum was out by a mile and barrelled into carlton fisk, so dale berra decided to try to score too. unfortunately dale berra is about as fast as i am. carlton fisk had no idea what was going on and tagged berra out too. UGH.
Yes, that was bad however everyone has their own opinion of what is the most embaressing thing from that time period. ;)
stevelabny said:
Um, the Cubs pen is not what got them this far, it was their starters. I do agree that Prior should have been taken out earlier in Game 2, however he went 7 strong in Game 6 so that arguement doesn't hold a ton of water. I have a problem with Baker leaving him in during the 8th. He was obviously pooped. And as for the blame in general, how about blaming the team for giving up the runs? What about the error at SS? There is no one place to put the blame. That is just insane.
stevelabny said:
torre has acted overly afraid of his bullpen for the last 3 years also. overworking mariano definately was a problem in 2000. but at least you know WHY torre is scared, he is spoiled by getting 2 inning saves from mariano and always hopes he can get away with that.
This is Dusty's first year with the team and he doesn't have anyone close to a Rivera in that bullpen. His relievers have been shaky as well. My point is that it is the whole team's fault for losing the last 2 games at home. And let's give a little credit to the Marlins, they never gave up and came back 3 straight games. They earned it.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Well the Sox just jumped out to a 3-0 lead, but I've had this feeling all day that Wakefield, coming into the game in relief, is going to be the keystone for the Red Sox tonight.

It’s been a great series, and post season too! I just hope whichever team wins can make the World Series into a great one. (That’s not intended to be an understatement about Florida.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads