• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic Roleplaying by Chaosium

ChainSawHobbit

First Post
Basic Roleplaying (download the stripped-down version legally and for free HERE) is a genaric d100-based RPG system that I have been playing quite a lot as of late. It is sleek, logical, and flexible, with a heavy focus on skills. One of the things that I have been noticing about it is that it is better suited for hack-and-slash dungeon crawling than any edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Combat is smoother (and more realistic), character creation is less tedious, everything moves more quickly, and it can be played with or without miniatures. The only thing I don't like is the slow character progression, but that can be easily remedied through house-ruling.

Another one of BRP's virtues is its plethora of optional rules. One can shape they system to do exactly what they want, and with the appropriate optional rules applied, it is great for medival fantasy. The combat system is relatively gritty, but it can be made more forgiving by doubling everyone's hit points, which does not break the game. It is not well-suited to mass combat, but I'm sure this can also be fixed through house-ruling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skytheen

Explorer
I agree. This is a system I've discovered in the last couple of years. I'm interested in developing an espionage setting for the system.

Remove ads