Battle Mage (custom)

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
borble said:
i will take home the resoponses and resond to them, thanks all. a few quick notes though.
most of those contridictions are in the fluff and will make sence.
con becuse they love battle, and all those spells need strangth to hold.
wis and int. becuse they need to be smart to get them all, and the same with wis.
not cha, becuse cha dose not hold the right flavor with me and seems off sorry.
i think a normalization of bonus spells is in order, its just the way i play.
in adition, as i said in the quote, they cant use utilatarian spells.
and as for the SR i can retype it to say friendly fire.
as for the healing (as i sead ingenuity of the player) id say id ba able to use it becuse it adversly helps me by keeping more hits off me. i never sead directly.
thanks all
ben

Ok.

To really proceed, we need to know what your design goals are. If your design goal is to have 9th-levels spells at 13th level... then there isn't really anything that can be done that's balanced. I'm assuming (possibly foolishly) that it's just an error in your table.

Re: Con-based casting. That implies to me a tough character who gets power from inner reserves of energy, not an outside force. If you want split casting stats (and want to retain Con as one of them), I'd base the casting stat requirement and spell DCs on Constitution, representing the character's inner reserves and capacity of power. Bonus spells would be based on Wisdom, representing the character's self-knowledge.

Honestly, I'd base all three on Con. It's simpler, but also a bit unusual and interesting.

If you do go with the Con spellcasting, I'd suggest giving the class defences and abilities based on their inherent toughness (Damage Reduction, stuff like Mettle, the Diehard and Endurance feats, and such things) as opposed to spell resistance or immunity.

borble said:
i think a normalization of bonus spells is in order, its just the way i play.
If you mean that you should use the normal system for bonus spells, then yes.

in adition, as i said in the quote, they cant use utilatarian spells.
as for the healing (as i sead ingenuity of the player) id say id ba able to use it becuse it adversly helps me by keeping more hits off me. i never sead directly.

The impression I got from the Battle Mage text is that they're resticted to spells that blow stuff up, and personal/touch range spells that benefit the Battle Mage (whether it can be directly or indirectly is unclear). Since this is apparently incorrect, it might be a good idea to clean up the text for clarity.

Spells are the main class feature of spellcasting classes. Relying primarily on what the DM allows you to get away with... isn't the ideal way toward a balanced class, especially with such a nebulous reference as "spells that aid".

and as for the SR i can retype it to say friendly fire.
SR I can handle, Spell immunity just seems to be a bad idea. In any case, since the Battle Mage automatically knows the spells Spell Immunity, Spell Turning, and other spells like Globe of Invulnerability, they should have no issues with defence should they take the time to cast them.

most of those contridictions are in the fluff and will make sence.

I really hope there aren't any contradictions in the fluff. That would make me very sad.

I really hope you are reading and taking note of the comments and criticisms. By taking these on board, you can become a better designer, and receive a lot more interest in your work.

borble

First Post
cool, and i will fix it, im at the library and i forgot my jump drive. and on top of that the format i saved it in is unreadible to my computer......so im stuck for a nother few days. but i will try to fix most of that.
but id like to say, that i will consider changing the stat to con.........
anyway
thanks, it will be a bit of a wait though, i got internet...i just dont know how to conect the highspeed up......
as for the contridictions are in the fluff, that was just me not using nouns :). the fluff will make it all fit :).
ben
NOTE: the SR was an after though of the spell imunity, and the spell immunity dosent realy help them anyway, at the higher lvls it mostly useless.
oy i need my comp.
thanks
ben

borble

First Post
ok, got it formated to have one for you guys....
and i am takeing home the responces and ansering them, sorry for the mixup.
ben

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
borble said:
ok, got it formated to have one for you guys....
and i am takeing home the responces and ansering them, sorry for the mixup.
ben

Cool, look forward to your response. I'm sure we can hammer out something good. :)

freefall

First Post
So if I understand you (and I'm not sure by any means that I understand you) you are giving the Battlemages SR, but it takes damage off spells that are cast against them, is this so? if that is the case then I see no problem with it (a minor perk). But if that is the ability you should not call it spell resistance, since there is a current definition of spell resistance in D&D. You should call it something else (maybe shrug off spell damage?)

If con controls all aspects of spell usage (DC, bonus spells and max spell level) you should spell that out.

You should also abide by the general rule that casters do not get 9th level spells at 13th level, they get 9th level spells at 17th level or 18th level.

With the ability to spontainiously cast any spell from any book they have the right solution to every problem. They should get fewer spells known than a sorcerer.

Once you do these things the class is still better then any base class but heading in the right direction.

If in addition to the other suggestions con controlled spell DC, int controlled bonus spells and Wis controlled best spell level available you are very close to actually having a balanced class.

borble

First Post
freefall said:
So if I understand you (and I'm not sure by any means that I understand you) you are giving the Battlemages SR, but it takes damage off spells that are cast against them, is this so? if that is the case then I see no problem with it (a minor perk). But if that is the ability you should not call it spell resistance, since there is a current definition of spell resistance in D&D. You should call it something else (maybe shrug off spell damage?)

If con controls all aspects of spell usage (DC, bonus spells and max spell level) you should spell that out.

You should also abide by the general rule that casters do not get 9th level spells at 13th level, they get 9th level spells at 17th level or 18th level.

With the ability to spontainiously cast any spell from any book they have the right solution to every problem. They should get fewer spells known than a sorcerer.

Once you do these things the class is still better then any base class but heading in the right direction.

If in addition to the other suggestions con controlled spell DC, int controlled bonus spells and Wis controlled best spell level available you are very close to actually having a balanced class.
i am sure i can get the stats the way you like, but i like con better i realy do.
also, maybe i can lower the power of there 9th lvl spells, by 1/2ing there caster lvl.
i though that was Spell Resistence.....,.....
ben

borble

First Post
Sound of Azure said:
In advance, I apologise for any harshness in my post. :)

First of all, thanks for posting this up. I'm glad you weren't too demoralised by the reaction to your Dragon Bound.
Not at all
I take it you don't like the Duskblade (Player's handbook II), Hexblade (Complete Warrior), or Battle Sorcerer (Unearthed Arcana)?

It's a shame your new class isn't laid out as nicely, but as you are in the middle of a move, that's fair enough (though if I were you, I would have waited until you moved before posting it up). I'm not going to get harsh on you about spelling and punctuation, but I'll say you really need to go over your document a bit (a lot?) more.
I do like the duskblade, hexblade is an interesting class, I do not have unearthed arcane.
Ill try….
Anyhow, on to the Battle Mage.

Tougher than a regular mage. Ok, cool.

So, it's a cleric then.
id say. More like a warmage in complete arcane

Um, ok. I guess we'll see why when you post up the background materials. I don't see anything particularly chaotic about the class, looking at it now.

No class skills, or just not listed yet?
Please give this class base skill points of at least 2 + Int modifier. I understand that most Battle Mages will have a positive Intelligence modifier due to their spellcasting mechanic, but 0 base skill points is atrocious.
I added some for normalness, skill mastery was meant to replace it.

Some unclear writing here. You could interpret this as the class being only proficient with thrown simple weapons.
I tried to clarify this, is it readable now?
I don't understand why the battle mage receives no armour proficiency since they get an armoured casting ability (however, see below). You shoud make a note of the Battle Mage's ability to ignore spell failure from light (and later, medium) armour.
well actually they can cast spells in any armor (note: only the requirements need to be filled to cast a spell, and armor dose not get in the way at all…..), this just says they cant get armor prof. In any other way. Hopefully i clarified it in text.
Your description also notes that Battle Mages can "cast spells with light weapons, and thrown weapons without hindrance". Does this mean that a Battle Mage can cast spells with such items in their hands? Note that this description is rendered irrelevent by your description of their Spellcasting later.
yes, that’s what I meant, where is the contradiction?
Your "Spells" section notes that a Battle Mage's spells have no material, somatic, or verbal components. This renders all arcane spell failure moot, since it only applies to (arcane) spells with somatic components. So, which is it?
I know this, I added the other part to say they can’t gain Battle Mage proficiencies through feats and the like.

I'd say many Battle Mages multiclass, especially with no arcane spell failure. I find your spellcasting ability restriction nonsensical, though. I personally wouldn't leave it in.
its here to stop spell growth abuse-ment.

im sorry?
If you have Complete Divine, there's an interesting class in there called the Spirit Shaman. They "know" all druid spells and have spontaneous casting. However, they can only have a small number of spells at each spell level "retrieved" from the spirit world on any given day.
I don’t, and isn’t there their spell slots small? If it isn’t id like to know what small is.
If you want "open book" casting though, by all means go ahead. I just can't see how that would be balanced, even if the spells are restricted to being used in battle.
that’s the theme of this class. Open book, with good spells, but only in battle, is there some way you know of, to weaken this class’s spells, maybe by lowering the caster level, or something?

Interesting. Could create some multiple ability dependency. Why Con, by the way?
in my mind, my class how it is, is balanced with the War Mage, I agree that multiple stats is a cool idea.
I think it's a bad idea to omit all the components (V, S, M) from a spellcaster. Note that you also omit XP and focus components. Free Wishes and Miracles during battle? Yes, please!
oops…. Will edit that in :X, thanks
Being immune to spell failure from being in combat is extremely strong, in my opinion. It should go. If you want to make the class more resilient against being disrupted, you could give a scaling competence bonus on Concentration checks to keep a spell if struck in combat. That seems more in character for a rough and tumble battle mage to me.
I like this idea, shall we make it equal to their SR? or do you have a different idea?
So, you're changing how the class gets bonus spells too? I'd say you should stick to the normal bonus spell option, since the spell casting is otherwise identical. If it were a completely different spellcasting mechanic, I could see you changing this. Otherwise, it seems like a bad idea.
sorry house rule, fixed
It's an interesting idea. You may want to list it as a seperate class ability later.
I got it off of the 3.0 sorcerer spell description, with a few minor changes to stop power gaming.
I think it would be a good idea to explicitly state what the Battle Mage is restricted to (eg. Cleric, Druid, and Sorcerer/Wizard spells from the x, y, and z schools). This will create less confusion.
no, they have all lists, just not spells from odd classes like the bard unless a bard of the same level (as the Battle Mage level) can cast it.
As it stands, a Battle Mage couldn't heal his allies, since it doesn't directly aid him. Is this your intention?
yes they can, and I quote “note. This is only limited by the player’s imagination”, I could twist it to say it helps me, that’s the fun part of playing this class, not becoming all powerful, but to push the envelope, now of corse (sorry spell check cant help :( ) this is no newcomers class, it brings back 2nd editions: DM is all powerful….
This seems really arbitrary. If you want to encourage the making of "battle items", perhaps you could give Battle Mages a discount on the cost to create such "Battle items". If you want to stick with this, it would be a good idea to explicitly list what magic item types are "battle items".
that mostly stops the guys from making all the scrolls in the world and giving them to the other casters, and the battle item thing fits the fluff (sorry), and is by no means a useless restriction. And as for “battle item”, just something that aids them in battle, noted at top of class.
"To cast a Battle Mage spell, the lowest of your Constitution, Intelligence, or Wisdom score must be equal or greater than 10 + the spell's level. The difficulty class... etc"
Personally, I'd stick with a single ability score for both DCs and spellcasting ability. If you're adamant on having more than one, I'd make both instances require the average (or else just use two ability scores.
Note: I have changed it to con, but it was like this to make it hard to cast higher lvl spells, that is, con int and wis all have to be 19 or higher to cast ninth lvl spells, see the toughness?
Seems like annoying book-keeping.
Its there to make more use of battle use, and only in battle, as well as be a negitive in the start. Bookkeeping is cool, and it just takes a page of lined paper. Also added : so a 10 round spells stopped at five rounds, now lasts 10 rounds after battle stops, if battle resumes before ½ of the new timer is run out, then it reverts to the amount when battle ended). , I hope its not confusing.
Given the class's unskilled nature, this seems wholly inappropriate.
on the contrary, the skills are gone because of this ability, rather then giving 6+int….

Given that the class's spell have no Somatic components, they woudn't suffer arcane spell failure anyway.
I understand, I knew that when I made the class…..
How can a class get mastery in armour without being proficient in any?
because I put it here instead of there………
You already said that.
it was worth repeating
I can't see these as a good idea, given the class's other abilities. If you want the class to be resistant to spell effects, why not give them an ability like Mettle, possibly bit by bit (Say Will first, the Fortitude later). Other ideas might be a (scaling) resistance bonus against spells and spell-like abilities, or an ability like Slippery Mind.
removed it reader friendly version
As it stands, the Battle Mage will make himself immune to his own spells that would "aid" him.
commented on in my version, thanks
Do you mean the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat, or proficiency with all martial weapons? It's an important distinction.
don’t fighters have proficiency in all Martial Weapon’s?
In conclusion... this needs a fair bit of cleaning up and clarification. The main thing it needs is expanation on what you are trying to achieve, and willingness of the Author to listen to advice and suggestions as the thread goes on.
you have vary good idea’s and iv made many corrections, but the thing that will not go is the spells level gained, if we can think if a good way to dampen it conversely then cool.
If these things occur, I'm sure the Battle Mage can become a balanced and extremely cool class to play. I look forward to your response.
cool
Arkhandus said:
Sorry borble, but I figured out after trying to help with your Dragon Bound class that it was pointless to try and offer any further advice or analyses for your material. It was wasted time trying to help you grasp the imbalances and problems in your previous class, and I can only suggest that you more seriously consider the pages and pages of previous advice given to you by folks on that thread. This one looks to be another problematic class and not worth the time of trying to convince you to fix it and how.

I suppose I can make one other suggestion: Ditch this class' abilities and model it after the Ranger or Bard more closely, just changing the spell list and/or primary spellcasting stat and/or the particular class features that don't fit your concept.
Ok….
jasin said:
Wait, this is really a class that gets access to all 9th-level spells of all classes at 14th-level? :confused:
yes, but the dc’s are still that of a lvl 13
Sound of Azure said:
Crap! I didn't even look at the end of the table! :uhoh: :confused:
its fixable, im thinking through the caster lvl
freefall said:
I believe you misread the table. That's 9th level spells at 13th level. My first instinct was - "Go, go gadget Miracle", but I realized that since you can access all the spells from all the spell lists miracle becomes less important.
ofcorse spells become less playable because you cant use wish to get you gold, it doesn’t help the battle. Will add that……thanks
freefall said:
It seems like you are going to be getting a lot of spells. More than any other class, with the added bonus of getting those spells a lot earlier then other classes.

A comparison with a sorcerer
average sorcerer with a 28 pt buy
str 10, dex 10, con 12, wis 10, int 10, chr 18
an average battlemage
str 10 , dex 10, con 15, int 16, wis 14, chr 8
will have
SRC 1
4 first level spells 2 spells known
BM 1
4 first level spells unlimited spells known

SRC 4
7 first level spells 3 spells known
3 second level spells 1 spells known
BM 4 (higher level spells down so we have an even comparison con bumped to 14)
12 first level spells unlimited spells known
6 second level spells unlimited spells known

SRC 10 (chr = 24 (+ 4 chr item + 2 stat bumps)
8 first level spells 5 spells known
8 second level spells 4 spells known
8 third level spells 3 spells known
6 fourth level spells 2 spells known
4 fifth level spells 1 spells known

BM 10 (chr bumped to 15, three + 2 stat items chr 17, con 18 int 18)
I double cascaded spells so we have a even spell level comparison.
9 first level spells unlimited spells known
9 second level spells unlimited spells known
8 third level spells unlimited spells known
6 fourth level spells unlimited spells known
5 fifth level spells unlimited spells known

In addition to more spells the battle mage has a better or just as good everything else.
Good point, and the Bonus spells have been changed (in my world, the src would have the same amount of bonus spells, and more)
Sound of Azure said:
Ok.

To really proceed, we need to know what your design goals are. If your design goal is to have 9th-levels spells at 13th level... then there isn't really anything that can be done that's balanced. I'm assuming (possibly foolishly) that it's just an error in your table.
Nope, that’s the idea
Re: Con-based casting. That implies to me a tough character who gets power from inner reserves of energy, not an outside force. If you want split casting stats (and want to retain Con as one of them), I'd base the casting stat requirement and spell DCs on Constitution, representing the character's inner reserves and capacity of power. Bonus spells would be based on Wisdom, representing the character's self-knowledge.
Honestly, I'd base all three on Con. It's simpler, but also a bit unusual and interesting.
got it to con
If you do go with the Con spellcasting, I'd suggest giving the class defences and abilities based on their inherent toughness (Damage Reduction, stuff like Mettle, the Diehard and Endurance feats, and such things) as opposed to spell resistance or immunity.
no, I like it how it is, and will not make it more physical.
If you mean that you should use the normal system for bonus spells, then yes.
got that settled
The impression I got from the Battle Mage text is that they're resticted to spells that blow stuff up, and personal/touch range spells that benefit the Battle Mage (whether it can be directly or indirectly is unclear). Since this is apparently incorrect, it might be a good idea to clean up the text for clarity.
they are smart in their tactics, and can heal others, if it helps them (again quote: A Battle Mage can only cast spells in battle, and the spell needs to aid him in battle (note. This is only limited by the player’s imagination and the compliance of the DM, for it is the DM’s job to make sure they can really cast the spell).).
Spells are the main class feature of spellcasting classes. Relying primarily on what the DM allows you to get away with... isn't the ideal way toward a balanced class, especially with such a nebulous reference as "spells that aid".
retyped for clarity, and it’s the 2nd edition balance, but its fun (in my mind) makes the game a game of cat and mouse, making you stretch your view of thinking as well as making you think :).
SR I can handle, Spell immunity just seems to be a bad idea. In any case, since the Battle Mage automatically knows the spells Spell Immunity, Spell Turning, and other spells like Globe of Invulnerability, they should have no issues with defence should they take the time to cast them.
fixed :)
I really hope there aren't any contradictions in the fluff. That would make me very sad.
opps, in stead of contradictions I meant clarifications :)
I really hope you are reading and taking note of the comments and criticisms. By taking these on board, you can become a better designer, and receive a lot more interest in your work.
I just house rule every thing in my game, that’s why it seems so odd……. Not that im not taking criticism :). Trying to fix that :).
Thanks
ben
note: i think cuting the caster lvl in 1/2 is a good idea.
ben

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Bits and Pieces

I've taken the liberty of doing a rewrite of a couple of sections of the text. There'll be more clarification work to come as I get to it. I'm presently carifying your "Spells" section, and splitting off a couple of parts as class features. This is to reign in the tangents included in the body of the "Spells" text, and to help the reader understand the mechanics.

Let me know whether you like the changes so far.

Game Rule Information
Battle mages have the following game statistics
Abilities: Constitution determines how powerful a spell a battle mage can cast, how many spells per day a battle mage can cast, and how hard those spells are to resist (see Spells, below). Like a sorcerer or wizard, a battle mage benefits from a high Dexterity. A high Intelligence increases a battle mage’s array of skills.
Alignment: any non-lawful
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
The battle mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Addition Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the battle mage.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Battle mages are proficient in all simple weapons, and with all martial thrown weapons. Battle mages are not proficient with any type of armour or shield.

Because the gestures to cast a battle mage spell are relatively simple, a battle mage may cast battle mage spells when wielding light or thrown weaponry. This ability does not extend to one-handed or two-handed weapons, nor does it extend to other types of ranged weapons or other items a battle mage may be carrying.

At 6th level, a battle mage gains Martial Weapon Proficiency with a single martial weapon. From this point, the battle mage may cast his battle mage spells when wielding a one-handed weapon without penalyy.

At 12th level, a battle mage's skill at battle casting improves, and two-handed weapons do not interfere with his arcane gestures.

Spells: A battle mage casts arcane spells (the same type available to sorcerers and wizards), which may be drawn from any class spell list (even divine spells, but see below).
<to be continued>

Last edited:

monboesen

Explorer
Just like the Dragon Bound this class is IMO massively overpowered.

Fastest spell acces in the game, acces to all spells, medium BAB, two good saves, no spellfailure (or spell components of any kind), medium to topnotch ability with any skill in the game and a very weird balancing tool (most abilities only useable in battle).

I see these options:

a) the power level of your game is so far removed from 3rd edition D&D that our opinions doesn't matter and you should use the class just the way you like it. Essentially this means there is no real reason to ask us what we think.

b) you start to acknowledge what most people agree on (that your classes way way overpowered) and take the very qualified response to heart and tone the classes down to standard D&D 3.5 power levels. That also requires that you throw out your current method of balancing mechanical advantages with roleplaying (or DM fiat) restrictions. Thats just not the way D&D works.

For the current class my most important reservations would be that no class should get acces to 9th level spells earlier than level 17 and no class should have free acces to all spells in the game. As I see it no class can be balanced without fulfilling at the least those two conditions.

Machiavelli

First Post
I find I really must agree with Monboesen. I haven't said much about the Dragon Bound class, and haven't yet begun to discuss the Battle Mage, but I've been carefully looking at both. I'll address only the Battle Mage, though, because it's the only relevant topic for this thread, but I'd like to note that many of the same issues are present in the Dragon Bound.

My biggest source of dismay is the overwhelming complexity of the rules for the class. By taking levels in Battle Mage, even just a few levels, the player modifies how his character interacts with just about every game mechanic related to his character.
Instead of gaining a bonus to skills, the character's ranks in every single skill are modified according to a unique formula. Instead of having a list of available spells, or a means of acquiring spells, EVERY spell potentially available to EVERY character must be drawn together to fully exercise the Battle Mage's specific spellcasting ability. Instead of using mechanics that are already laid out in the core D&D and utilized by every core class, a host of brand new mechanics are put in place to accommodate the Battle Mage. Any campaign with a Battle Mage in it is more complex for the DM and the players than a campaign without a Battle Mage, regardless of balance.

Borble, you appear to be a veritable font of creative energy, and that's admirable. However, your designs are very complex, and you haven't mentioned any design goals that would merit this level of complexity. I recommend slowing down for a moment and considering just what you'd like this class to be able to do, without thinking about how that relates to game mechanics. When you have a short description, one paragraph or less, of how you envision a Battle Mage in a fantasy novel (not in D&D), explain it to us. I know I, personally, will have many more useful mechanical suggestions for you after I know what non-mechanical concept you're trying to capture.

As is, you're on the road to alienating your creations from the very game world they are meant to inhabit. They appear to be fun, and I'd rather not see that happen to them.

Remove ads